Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Urban Strife - turn-based zombie survival RPG

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Steam Greenlight: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=772335854

https://www.urbanstrifegame.com

Just saw the Bear's Pit guys posting about this:

The zombie outbreak collapsed society. An island of humanity remained, saved by the military.
Walls went up and factions formed.
Play as a group that survives as mercenaries. Fight through a series of contracts as the story unfolds.

Tactical turn-based strategy with action points and stealth.

The game is under development and a demo will be available soon.

Looks kinda cool tbh

Last edited by a moderator:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmmm, at least from the trailer, the game doesn't seem to care too much about the zombie threat.
What I liked in Dead State was that noise would quickly lure zombie... and then the zombies were a pushover, but that's a different story.

muffthepuff2

White Pond Games
Developer
Hey guys. You can also find us on Facebook under the same name - we'd love to hear your feedback and suggestions, since we're nearing the demo release. Cheers!

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hey guys. You can also find us on Facebook under the same name - we'd love to hear your feedback and suggestions, since we're nearing the demo release. Cheers!
Have you guys played Dead State? If so, how do you compare your game to that?

muffthepuff2

White Pond Games
Developer
Hi Jimmious!
Yes we played Dead State and we loved it. Urban Strife is more focused on the tactical combat than Dead State. The human rivals can use covers, outflank you and use advanced equipment while the zombies are dangerous when in large numbers.
Urban Strife also has a stealth component and the noise will cause the zombies to join the party. Avoid being caught between zombies and human enemies or, even better, position yourself so that the zombies will attack your opposition. We also have crafting and character upgrades so, if that's something that you're into, please join us!

anus_pounder

Arcane
Character creation is an absolute must, even if it's only for the starting member of your group. The ability to replay contracts is giving me a cold feeling though, as if it's going to be a very linear and short game where the only replay value is trying to get a perfect 'score' on the previous levels.

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hi folks, guess necroing a topic is fitting for a zombie TBS like ours, so here's a quick update on Urban Strife since last time:

• We kept the turn-based combat component everyone loved (by everyone we mean the hundred or so people who found us last year @Gamescom and played the demo).
  • We completely scrapped the old simple mission system, which we replaced with a full fledged RPG layer, added character backstories with a lot of weight on the actual gameplay, branching dialogue, the whole deal...
  • We completely scrapped the 2 D shelter management system and replaced the whole thing with a system of event triggered sub-level loading system that alters the actual game map according to your actions - pretty overkill for a TBS but hey... it we were able to do it why not
  • On the above-mentioned sublevel system we are building a survival industry you will be in charge of, from simple stuff like a water pump to managing a greenhouse, rat farms, hydrophonics and an moonshine still, to mention just a few...
  • The weapons have been redesigned and re-modeled to take a FPS like attachment system, basically all the fun one can legally have with Picatinny rails.
So a summary of the new gameplay would go like this:

You're rescued from a car crash that left you amnesic by the kind folks of Urban Shelter, one of the few isles of humanity still alive. The country is ravaged by a brain bug that turned most of the population into brain feeding zombies. The nice folks of Urban give you medical treatment, a bed to sleep, food to fill your belly and a job. Since these are mostly old retired folks, a strong man like you will fit the shoes of deputy sheriff perfectly. Deputy because they have a sheriff - a drooling idiot you will soon meet. And sheriff because they desperately need adequate protection and law-enforcement - because zombies and a growing number of refugees flooding their shelter.

So playing Urban Strife will involve both dealing with zombie hordes and angry locals in combat and producing resources that keep the shelter population happy. You will have to balance the needs of the constant influx of refugees with the wants of the local residents who of course won't be that happy with the "dirty uncivilized hordes" who soil their pretty town. And while you handle that, in your tiny corner of civilization, the rest of the town is engulfed in a power struggle between three factions - a garrison of military deserters, the local biker charter and a cult of religious fanatics. And it's entirely up to you who you make friends with and who you make a sworn enemy.

PS: We will hopefully post more frequent updates now, since most of the heavy stuff has been coded in. We're on the final stage of development (famous last words), hopefully resulting in something as tangible as a public demo this year. Until then, I am afraid, pics as these below will have to do.

Speaking of Dead State, yes, we've played it, we loved but we are trying to avoid all the mistakes they admitted doing (there's a very extensive Gamasutra article by Brian Mitsoda, the game's creator, on the subject). Trying to keep plans realistic, under control and resources allocated properly where they will make the biggest and most beneficial impact is a constant challenge.

Soldiers of the Urban Army Garrison showing they mean business
s91RRlt.jpg

Fully upgraded water pump and filter model
U6MvOwY.jpg

Modular weapon system (hand-guns shown)
cN8Xa51.jpg

OUR DEV BLOG: http://www.urbanstrifegame.com/blog/
OUR FB PAGE: https://www.facebook.com/urbanstrifegame

Last edited:

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Recipes are a pretty big part of our crafting system and yes, the player will discover a lot of them (not only food recipes, the system works for any assembly).

And rats... juicy, fat, crackling over the firepit... you can't beat them. Not even a 10 year old can of Coke is as good as that.

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Hey folks, it is Thursday, we got a fresh update on Urban Strife. And it is a pretty big reveal - stuff we have been hard at work this summer: a completely new hud. We love how it turned out, has flavor of Commandos BEL nostalgia to it, but with all the interactivity you would expect from a modern game.

URBAN STRIFE HUD 2.0 (check below)

gYHrMJ6.png

PS: This is the primary hud, of course there a lot of stuff on second and third level, which we will show later.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The UI is beautiful. Commandos indeed. Really nice touch.

Looking forward to more info and good luck!

Btw. What engine are you using?

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
How complex and choice heavy is the chardev and how meaty is the base rpg system?

Like someone above mentioned - chargen is an absolute must even if its only for the first character (the guy in the car crash).

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
How complex and choice heavy is the chardev and how meaty is the base rpg system?

Each of the RPCs have a set of convictions regarding main triggers. Reading between the lines of their bios can reveal some of these (much like in JA). Some of your fellows might hate your guts for starving the refugees, for example, others might encourage you to burn the tents and wash the place clean. All have hidden agendas in Urban Strife and nobody is who they claim to be. Much like today's society, the RPG is an underlying web of lies, deceit and manipulation with all the social injustice and non-PC interaction you can stomach. Other than that, we are trying to have AT LEAST two ways to solve any major problems, with all the branching implications. It takes a lot of dialogue writing and careful tracking of effects so atm we are wary to go crazy with too many choices (we are a small team, not like we can assign each NPC a writer).

Regarding the faction politics, obviously there are three paths you can take and most of your RPG interaction will steer the story towards one. There's a reputation system that records what you do - that will lead you having very powerful friends and some very dangerous enemies. The sort that make fighting zombies look like a softball game.

We will soon reveal the player's character generation - we did listen to the previous feedback and spent a lot working on it. Considering last year at Gamescom we didn't even have a main custom character, it was a huge addition and we're happy how it turned out.

Last edited:

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space

Each of the RPCs have a set of convictions regarding main triggers. Reading between the lines of their bios can reveal some of these (much like in JA). Some of your fellows might hate your guts for starving the refugees, for example, others might encourage you to burn the tents and wash the place clean. All have hidden agendas in Urban Strife and nobody is who they claim to be. Much like everyone today on social media, the RPG is an underlying web of lies, deceit and manipulation. Other than that, we are trying to have AT LEAST two ways to solve any major problems, with all the branching implications. It takes a lot of dialogue writing and careful tracking of effects so atm we are wary to go crazy with too many choices (we are a small team, not like we can assign each NPC a writer).

Regarding the faction politics, obviously there are three paths you can take and most of your RPG interaction will steer the story towards one. There's a reputation system that records what you do will lead to having people hate/love you.

We will soon reveal the player's character generation - we did listen to the previous feedback and spent a lot working on it. Considering last year at Gamescom we didn't even have a main custom character, it was a huge addition and we're happy how it turned out.

Sounds interesting. Thank you for the information but I meant mechanically. Are there traits, feats, skills, different classes, attribute point distribution on level up, etc? Is it active chardev or passive like in old XCom/Xenonaughts, etc.

I appreciate it haven't rpg elements in dialogue/story, and that's an added draw for me. But a meaty rpg system (mechanically) underlining chargen/dev and combat is my big carrot and my big stick. Dead State had a minimally acceptable system, but I think base building and managing the talking heads in your base was the focus in DS and not combat. Since combat seems to be a bigger focus for your game I think it would definitely benefit from a heavier rpg system (mechanics and active chardev choices wise).

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Each character comes with character traits and skills based on their life story. One is a mechanic, another a nurse, one is an idiot, the other is a womanizer.
Combat wise there are no classes, you can give everyone sniper rifles if you have them. But yes, there is marksmanship at play and a set of perks that will make some characters better than others at that job so I guess you can say there is some specialization involved.
There will be point gains and most likely pasive distribution to the relevant skills. You will gain points either directly in combat, through RPG or using shelter training facilities (you can build an outdoor gym and/or a shooting range, for example).

We had many discussions internally after we're read what happened with DS behind the scenes - and one of the decisions was to split the story in three episodes, each of them bigger than the previous, with stories leading from one to each other. We call them episodes, but if we stick to TV terms they should be more like seasons (hmm... i kinda like this name better). The first episode/season, which revolves around keeping the shelter safe and running and initial faction interaction, might not have the magnitude and duration a full DS or JA2 campaign had. So not really sure, to be honest, how much impact a few points gained here and there will change your characters (physically or skill-wise). They WILL CHANGE dramatically in HOW THEY FEEL about you and it will impact how they react in next episode, that's for sure. But if you plan to make (someone like) Biff into a 100 marksmanship killing machine, I am afraid you will need to wait until the plot thickens (exponentially if everything goes like we planned).

Not sure if everyone will like this concept of three episodes, but it is a way to keep the story tight, resources under control and get a game out before we have grandchildren. Each season/episode will be a game on its own (no DLC stuff), with its own plot, but also a general story that will continue into the next, by means of importing a save (or if you never played previous episode, by choice).

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
This game looks great, but would look even better without the zombies. I usually don't touch anything with zombies as the main focus these days, and I don't think I'm alone in that. I really feel like you guys would be doing yourself a favor (if you're not too far into development already) if you switched the focus from zombies to a pure urban apocalypse setting, completely sans zombies. Seriously, it seems like if people - myself included - see zombies as a main focus of a setting, they will completely ignore project. This has too much potential to meet that fate. I almost completely missed this because the title of the thread, for example. Also, same reason I've never even considered playing Dead State despite all the other elements being of interest to me.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom