Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Urban Strife - turn-based zombie survival RPG

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Starting this week we will publish the USG Pilot comics, showcasing the Closed Alpha story (and trying not to spoil too much). We thought it would be nicer to present it as a comics drawing - but don't expect anything hand drawn, these are ingame shots with a custom camera angle (not strictly isometric).

So here you go:

U2Rze4j.jpg

Each Tuesday we'll have a new episode on our Facebook and Twitter.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
The old school zombies are a bit inconsistent. Recently watched the Night of the Living dead remake and the zombies are really damn weak in that one, and a bit "not there". Like some of them you can easily just walk past within reach. Or just do judo stuff on them :)

Remakes tend to be inconsistent yes. Speaking of, after watching that scene, I wonder if high-level melee characters can do something like this:

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Speaking of, after watching that scene, I wonder if high-level melee characters can do something like this:

We are definitely looking into adding value to the melee and we have a lot of ideas, it's just that each new gruesome and cool way to kill zombies requires a new set of custom animations which aren't cheap at all. So far we got the classic weapons (blades, axes, hammers, bats, etc.). You can also punch the zombies if that is your style. Technically it is possible to hit them with the rifle buttstock but we lack a complete set of anims there so that is on hold. And if all goes well we look into adding more household items to the melee weapons list. We also count on modders in this area.

PS: A set of animations includes way more stuff than you would imagine. Turning, entering and exiting cover, changing stances... all need to blend in seamlessly from the new stance. And for a couple of cool new moves you gotta produce tens of boring possibilities. A mo-cap setup... somewhere in the future... who knows...

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Using a rifle stock as a melee weapon is seriously cool. It's a staple move of the zombie genre and anywhere a rifleman gets overwhelmed in close quarters. Good work including it (soon)!

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
When you need to show the horde a warm welcome, the USG molotov is the perfect tool.

Hey folks,

We've just implemented a new fire spreading mechanic, from one flammable material to another, with the fire feeding by itself and dying when there's no more stuff to burn. Hope you like it. We'll try to have a video soon showing the fire effects on the actors too - that should be even more entertaining.

PS: The speed of the fire is controlled by parameters and we actually "modded" it for the purpose of a short video capture to go much faster than it would in the actual game. A big bus should take a while to burn out.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Needs more explosions. Also, will the fire spread immediately, or over a few turns? If the former, fire becomes an easy to create but uncontrollable barrier around vehicles and other inanimate stuff. Also, non-zombies killed by fire should have special animations such as the "burning man" dance. :D

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
The fire will spread to the adiacent flammable asset each turn (the real time is actually a composed of simulated micro-turns so the whole spread is much fluid). Each asset will burn for a couple of turns - depending on its life - some for 1-2 turns, some for 10-20.

Zombies have a tendency to go through fire since they're kind past the pain problems us humans have. So they catch fire and immolate nicely. And keep coming.
Human actors (your guys included) also catch fire and get damaged by it (a pretty nasty DOT), but the human AI - of course - avoids running through a wall of flames if given a choice.

So there will be a lot of nice tactical options for the inner pyromaniac inside you. One of them being messing up badly and setting fire to stuff you never intended to set fire to... Where would the fun be if not for a bit of danger, right?

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is it only a damage dot, not something that will incapacitate the character?

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
We're discussing ways to incapacitate the burning actor while he/she is burning up and post-burn wounds and other ailments but those systems aren't final yet. It's not likely to see an enemy burning without any effects on their combat ability. It would defeat logic, wouldn't it?

Modron

Arcane
There is always this:

:)

Yeah I tried watching this movie but quit at this russia stronc scene like 5 minutes in, I mean shit it would have been a lot more dramatic to have them get mowed down by the hundreds/thousands but still charging instead what ever this shiet was.

lightbane

Arcane
Drat, I didn't know Russians used to have Captain America-tier of super-soldiers. I thought their "strategy" was to drown the enemy in men as if it still was WW1, while a commissar was calmly watching to kill anyone trying to run away with a gun usually better than what the troops had (if they had a gun to begin with, carrying ammo for someone else for when you were killed was a thing too).

Either way, Russian Zombies would be too OP for a game like this. Perhaps for a bonus level?

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
First - we've already published episode 4 of our Alpha Pilot comics - check out our FB page if interested.

Second - it's Thursday and with unprecedented precision we've managed to come up with another content update. It's a bit short and much less spectacular than exploding buses, but it's vital to a good game: the aiming system. Urban Strife will have a body part aiming system both for ranged and melee. Shown below is a sniper first targeting in un-aimed (snap) mode, then pressing SHIFT to enter the aimed mode, with a dummy showing the exposed enemy parts in red and a nice radial menu to allow you to select a sniping target. If the bullet has to pass through weak cover (losing some precision and force) the target will be highlighted in yellow. The body parts out of reach (behind hard cover or in an impossible angle) are displayed in grey.

Do note that this is a dynamic ballistics system. Change weapon (and caliber) and you will not be able to hit some body parts simply because the bullet will drop before it reaches the target. Material resistance will play a major part too. Make a castle out of cardboard boxes and you'll find out the hard way how much it holds against a 7.62.

What happens when the bullet reaches the intended target is part of the wounds and healing system so not covered in this update but everything has consequences in USG.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The fire will spread to the adiacent flammable asset each turn (the real time is actually a composed of simulated micro-turns so the whole spread is much fluid). Each asset will burn for a couple of turns - depending on its life - some for 1-2 turns, some for 10-20.

Zombies have a tendency to go through fire since they're kind past the pain problems us humans have. So they catch fire and immolate nicely. And keep coming.
Human actors (your guys included) also catch fire and get damaged by it (a pretty nasty DOT), but the human AI - of course - avoids running through a wall of flames if given a choice.

So there will be a lot of nice tactical options for the inner pyromaniac inside you. One of them being messing up badly and setting fire to stuff you never intended to set fire to... Where would the fun be if not for a bit of danger, right?

So how much of the shit in the game can you burn to the ground? Entire houses? Situations like "I wanted to set fire to keep this armed guy from entering the house I used as shelter but oops, now the fire spread to the house" ending up consuming entire buildings?

If yes that would be serious incline.

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Since we do have limited time and resources you won't see epic firestorms and roofs collapsing from fire. Well maybe not in Episode 1 at least.

But as far as the fire goes, it's a live animal. If it has food, it will feed. If you throw a Motolov inside a house... well, there's a lot of flammable stuff in a tight space, so 1+1=2. So while the house itself won't be consumed, you won't win any House Flipper of the Year awards.

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Here comes a new gameplay update! This one is all about the RPG system. An AI controlled faction programmed to send out patrols and intercept the player, asking for bribes/tolls. It's entirely up to you how you respond (you can also avoid them if you're a bit sneaky): either pay up & pass or refuse & aggro them. They will give a free pass or two, but not forever. Each choice opens a new fun story path so there's something new waiting for you when you replay the game.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom