Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Urban Strife - turn-based zombie survival RPG

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
When is this coming out? Looks good

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Demo will basically be the prologue of the game. It will include the first faction RPG + combat (+zombies, +unaligned baddies), but with a small twist that we can't spoil.
There will be some basic upgrades you can build for your base, too, just as a teaser. Enough for a couple of hours of fun (depending on your completionist/direct gameplay style).

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Tutorial level & dynamic help widget

13d7e46c5aec1541f2de478d370e6f3b99148a17.jpg

You will start the game in a micro tutorial level, that will both introduce you into the story and teach you basic gameplay elements. Just follow the instructions in the new Help Widget. This widget will show up each time there are new elements in the game and offer quick help to the new players. It is not game blocking and you will be able to close it once you have acquired enough experience.
so can I disable this?
I hate tutorials in games

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Yes, we'll have options for those the prefer a more immersive gameplay to disable helpers. Probably not for the demo but definitely for the release build.

agris

Arcane
Patron
USG_Mucifikatorul one thing has stood out to me in the recent screenshots you've shared. The way the UI is laid out, the left side of the screen is cramped. The print-out UI widget in the top-left should be brought down to the bottom in my opinion.

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
The UI has been redesigned a couple of times and probably will get more improvements after the demo. The main concern now is having everything you actively use in one place, not spread over four corners.
The quest log is ok where it is though, considering most of us read a screen right to left, top to bottom. You want your must-read info exactly there, in the top left corner. It's a pretty basic UX rule.

Codex Year of the Donut
Does the big 'LOG' button refer to a combat log or something else(e.g., chat log)?
If it's not a combat log, are there plans to add one?

agris

Arcane
Patron
The UI has been redesigned a couple of times and probably will get more improvements after the demo. The main concern now is having everything you actively use in one place, not spread over four corners.
The quest log is ok where it is though, considering most of us read a screen right to left, top to bottom. You want your must-read info exactly there, in the top left corner. It's a pretty basic UX rule.
Think of it this way - you have two dimensions with which you can fill with UI elements. Vertical, and horizontal. You're designing a game in the 2020s, which means your audience is using widescreen 16:9 monitors. 16 wide, 9 tall.

You have less real estate in the vertical axis than the horizontal, but you're stacking UI elements one above the other, top left and bottom left, in the dimension you have less space in. That's what i'm saying. You ever drive down a neighborhood street, a small one with street parking, and there's cars parked on both sides of the street? When it's a narrow street, there's always some genius who parks immediately across from another parked car, creating a pinch point. That's what's happening visually with your UI placement.

UX design rules are fine, but you gotta account for implementation - in this case, widescreen monitors.

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Yep, we'll try and get the hud to function at an optimum level on all types on monitors, wide, 4k or laptop.
Game is pretty well optimized and it should run on a wide range of configurations.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
When it's ready. Before the next festival that's for sure. Hopefully before we crack from overwork and lack of sleep and start flinging bananas at each other.

Well, if you start flinging bananas at each other, don't forget to get it on tape, you'd probably make the buzz, i can see the head-lines already: "zombie game devs go crazy from overwork and covid restrictions", great promotion material.

Besides, you're posting on the codex and we expect nothing less.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A couple of small questions about cosmetics. Hopefully it haven't been asked before.

Will there be gore? Big caliber bullet rip of arms etc? Will there be visible bullet wounds on characters? Will there be blood pools from downed dudes? And finally, will there be injury states, like getting blasted in your leg with a shotgun will make you limp and so on?

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
There will be blood splashes and blood on dead bodies, but having visible wounds on the models is that kind of eye candy that an indie studio has to forget about when drawing the line (although it ranks quite high on our "nice to have" list).
On the other hand, yes, there will be cripple effects, different for each body part.

agris

Arcane
Patron
There will be blood splashes and blood on dead bodies, but having visible wounds on the models is that kind of eye candy that an indie studio has to forget about when drawing the line (although it ranks quite high on our "nice to have" list).
On the other hand, yes, there will be cripple effects, different for each body part.
knock it out of the park with sales, patch in a bunch of extra shit from your nice-to-have list, re-released as "definitive edition" and rake in even more $$$ from the casuals who like eye candy.

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Yea, that's pretty much our plan (releasing some of the nice-to-have stuff as later patches). :)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom