Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Urban Strife - turn-based zombie survival RPG

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That's cool. Compared to Dead State I'm getting the impression zombies might actually be a real challenge in this game. Imagine coming around a corner and stirring a bunch of zombies like this up.

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That's cool. Compared to Dead State I'm getting the impression zombies might actually be a real challenge in this game. Imagine coming around a corner and stirring a bunch of zombies like this up.

Well the fact that they all move as a horde, in a single turn, can flip the tables on you pretty fast if you're not careful. Also they don't do a lot of damage individually but if you're surrounded by a group they all get to clobber you in that single turn. And if they don't kill you outright, they can KO you then finish you off. So... don't let them do that.

PS: HD version

Last edited:

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
USG_Mucifikatorul In terms of being JA2 inspired, have the devs taken into account how calculations were actually handled in JA2 under the hood? For example if two characters saw eachother the target had an opportunity to dodge a shot with their agility + level and stance being taken into account while the shooter could counteract that with their dexterity and experience level. Or how getting shot/hit would reduce the opponent's ability to react on their turn, something that was sorely missing in Silent Storm and made melee a pain in the ass to use.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
USG_Mucifikatorul
Forgive me if these have been answered before:

1) Are there "interrupts" and/or overwatch?

2) Is infection a thing? Can player-controlled characters be turned into undead?

Yes/no answers are fine, I know you're busy :)

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I got another question.

If a NPC gets bitten and turned in combat, will his look and inventory remain?

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
1) Are there "interrupts" and/or overwatch?
Yes, there are interrupts and we just added an overwatch mechanic in our last build (doesn't have a pretty overlay yet, but works). The overwatch is based on the weapon equipped. So a handgun or shottie will allow you to watch a large cone in close proximity, while a sniper rifle will set watch at range, in a tight cone. This will also allow you to ambush snipers on overwatch, because their view range will be focused on that small cone.

2) Is infection a thing? Can player-controlled characters be turned into undead?
Yes, bites will be the secondary attack of all zombies and they can infect you. If you do not treat the infection...mmm... bad things happen.

USG_Mucifikatorul In terms of being JA2 inspired, have the devs taken into account how calculations were actually handled in JA2 under the hood? For example if two characters saw eachother the target had an opportunity to dodge a shot with their agility + level and stance being taken into account while the shooter could counteract that with their dexterity and experience level. Or how getting shot/hit would reduce the opponent's ability to react on their turn, something that was sorely missing in Silent Storm and made melee a pain in the ass to use.

Our programmer has read the JA2 source code more times than an old lady who reads her Bible. While not everything in there can be transplanted to our game and some mechanics work differently in Unreal, yes, we've used that as an inspiration. We use a body-part injury system where injuries to each body part will yield different impairments so yes, you will feel an impact of those shots.

Last edited:

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
I got another question.

If a NPC gets bitten and turned in combat, will his look and inventory remain?

Turning takes a while, since first you get an infection so most likely won't happen during combat. But yes, if a zone is "zombified" and you return there, you will notice the natives are zombies (they won't look as ragged as classic zombies, but they'll move and behave like them). Most likely their inventory will stay with them too since we use a "drop-all" system anyway.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Well the fact that they all move as a horde, in a single turn, can flip the tables on you pretty fast if you're not careful. Also they don't do a lot of damage individually but if you're surrounded by a group they all get to clobber you in that single turn. And if they don't kill you outright, they can KO you then finish you off. So... don't let them do that.

PS: HD version

Is there going to be different kind of zombies?
Runners? Hulk-zombies? Crawlers? Headless zombies? And more?

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
All zombies will be vanilla. There might be - and that is entirely dependent on what YOU do in the game - zombies that used to wear armor before they died. And those might be tricky to kill. But no State of Decay zombies - bloaters, juggernauts, etc. Zombies in USG are dangerous to fools who trigger their herding instincts, not because special powers.

agris

Arcane
Patron
We use a body-part injury system where injuries to each body part will yield different impairments so yes, you will feel an impact of those shots.
:excited:

Is this represented anywhere in-game, like through red silhouettes on the paperdoll?

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Yes, on the team rooster screen you have a detailed medical file showing combat injuries for each team member and there's also a quick info screen on the inventory screen that shows wounds and afflictions.
We'll show those one of these days working ingame.

Codex Year of the Donut
I'm not a big fan of zombie-related media, but isn't it typical for zombies to become more of a minor threat after humans are properly prepared to deal with them?
Humans are alpha predators because of intelligence and advanced communications, something zombies purposely lack. It's difficult to turn zombies into the predators unless the odds are purposely stacked against the humans(e.g., scenarios like you see in left4dead)

Seriously bro, please put cheese in the game. You have no idea how happy it made me finding that cheese in Dead State.

No cheese, but we have spam.
add spray cheese

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
I'm not a big fan of zombie-related media, but isn't it typical for zombies to become more of a minor threat after humans are properly prepared to deal with them?
Humans are alpha predators because of intelligence and advanced communications, something zombies purposely lack. It's difficult to turn zombies into the predators unless the odds are purposely stacked against the humans(e.g., scenarios like you see in left4dead)

Seriously bro, please put cheese in the game. You have no idea how happy it made me finding that cheese in Dead State.

No cheese, but we have spam.
add spray cheese

I guess, but in Dead State they were pretty easy already at the beginning. Non-combat characters have no real problem fighting them off, even when swarmed.

I think Project Zomboid captures the horror of zombie swarms pretty well also. I'm hoping for a similar experience. It's easy to run around a couple, but when you get trapped panic quickly settles in. Never felt that in Dead State unfortunately.

lightbane

Arcane
Well the fact that they all move as a horde, in a single turn, can flip the tables on you pretty fast if you're not careful.
Looks like Zeds waste time and APs to get into a perfect biting formation, like the Dead State zombies, instead of attacking you immediately. Hopefully there's a speed up animations setting in the options.

And if they don't kill you outright, they can KO you then finish you off. So... don't let them do that.
Can the Mc be infected? Can you cut the bitten limb to brutally deal with the infection, at the expense of losing said limb, of course?

Most likely their inventory will stay with them too since we use a "drop-all" system anyway.

Better than Dead State already (although inventory was patched IIRC later on).

. Zombies in USG are dangerous to fools who trigger their herding instincts, not because special powers.
You could have crawling zombies due those having suffered leg damage, making them a smaller target and thus more dangerous. Zombie dogs too, if you wish. Or even zombie children if you're cruel.

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Well if you watch the above example closely, the zombies, once they reach a tile they can attack you from, they take that tile. The pathfinding AI upgrade just allows the ones further away to avoid getting stuck until an attack tile is free and go around, trying to find their own spot. There's also a tweakable range for this pincer maneuver, something like 10-12 tiles so we avoid situations where a zombie goes around the whole map just to try to flank your group. In Dead State it was quite easy to kill large groups of zombies by creating even the smallest chokepoint and having them come at you 1 by 1. That tactic works in USG too since it makes sense (rather than fighting them in the open) but you'll need to pay more attention to their moves.

The player's avatar cannot be infected, everyone else is exposed. It is part of the storyline so no spoilers here. There's no amputation either. Sadly that would require an animation effort way above the reach of a small indie studio (when it comes to new animation you need to consider the fact that each change must be propagated to 30-40 states (entering state, in state, transition to new state just for 1 stance). But who knows, one day...

Same as with amputations for mercs - more zombie types means animations budget out the window and it's not the time for that now. But crawling zombies isn't a bad idea, noted.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
There's no amputation either. Sadly that would require an animation effort way above the reach of a small indie studio (when it comes to new animation you need to consider the fact that each change must be propagated to 30-40 states (entering state, in state, transition to new state just for 1 stance). But who knows, one day...
Not necessarily if you can only do said amputation once you're done with the combat, back to the safety of your base, thus done through screens, some pics, and optionally a scream of pain if the operation is done without anesthetics. No animation here needed except bare minimum, if at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom