Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Urban Strife - turn-based zombie survival RPG

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Curious what kind of data?

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Store traffic and daily wishlists. Going at about x10 rate compared to pre-festival, so clearly people are getting into the game still.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Store traffic and daily wishlists. Going at about x10 rate compared to pre-festival, so clearly people are getting into the game still.
Overall good experience with demo, good word of mouth & from what I've seen positive Youtube coverage.
Make sure that "work in progress" -stickers are visible and frankly you don't have reason to time limit this before release.

Harthwain

Magister
I am going to play the game during the weekend (and check out Vagrus too, by the way).

Also, to add what others said already, I wishlisted Potion Craft after checking out its demo on GOG (because GOG had it while Steam didn't!). I played a lot of Conscript (demo), too. Without playing the demo I doubt I would be as eager for that game as I am. And the developer of Conscript updated it, so I am having a blast playing through it again, with new changes.

I would probably get your game after reading some reviews (I wishlisted it after following this thread, because you seem like solid developers), but keeping the demo up as long as possible certainly isn't going to hurt you and could make this :d1p: for me, provided the game is as good as it sounds by reading about it here. So, yeah, do yourselves a favour and let the demo stay. I believe in you and your ability to deliver a quality product, which is a rare thing for me to say.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
How much HDD space will be the full game need? Can you change the inane "body types" for "gender", or would that result in your team being cancelled?I would have thought that in Romania you wouldn't have to care about wokeness.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How much HDD space will be the full game need? Can you change the inane "body types" for "gender", or would that result in your team being cancelled?I would have thought that in Romania you wouldn't have to care about wokeness.
Yet you find taking sides in the culture wars so important that a common phrase triggers you to full fight or flight mode. So does it matter or not?

Harthwain

Magister
Yet you find taking sides in the culture wars so important that a common phrase triggers you to full fight or flight mode. So does it matter or not?
Indeed. Just throw in more body types (thin, slim, fat, etc.), so you are picking from the actual body types and it will work.

Harthwain

Magister
Question: what key is used to split items (ammo, fuel, etc.)? I can't find it and it isn't listed in the controls.

Otherwise the game is pretty :incline: so far. It looks a lot better than I expected it to, too.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Yet YOU thought that informing us of what you think about someone else's opinions on "culture war" or whatever is so important that you made a special post about it*. Seems to me that you are the one who is being triggered not the op. Just a random tought.

*And yes, i see the irony.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
JA2 is as good if not better than what people remember, not even taking mods or source ports into account.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Pace, clunky UI and everything being terribly small on modern resolution is the biggest problem with playing JA2 in modern times. 1.13 just excarberate this issue by adding more activities and facilities.
JA2 1.13 megacampains remind me of games played by mail. You have to have a patience and plan your whole campaign for MONTHS to finish it. It gets kinda repetitive in the end, fighting so many defense/patrol battles toward the end. At least mobile militia solves some of the problem.

Togukawa

Savant
Patron
I like JA2 UI better than US though. A targetted shot in JA2 is all done with the mouse, mouse over, scroll for aimed shot (not even possible in US), single click to shoot.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like JA2 UI better than US though. A targetted shot in JA2 is all done with the mouse, mouse over, scroll for aimed shot (not even possible in US), single click to shoot.
I won't kink-shame you for liking it, but face the facts - it was a glorified radial menu. I for one will not miss that at all.

Togukawa

Savant
Patron
I won't kink-shame you for liking it, but face the facts - it was a glorified radial menu. I for one will not miss that at all.
You what? US has a radial menu. Ja2 1.13 just has you mouse over the right part of the actual enemy model. Unless my memory is failing me completely

Anyway, what I like is the single click approach of JA2. The click is the shot.

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
While simply copying the JA2 aiming system was easy, we never set out to clone JA2. And in some aspects that would be pretty useless. An isometric 2D world has completely different rules from a 3D environment. It's a long list of differences you can all guess.

But to the raised point about mouse aim, in internal tests we found that due to the complex camera maneuvers you need to perform in a 3D world the attaching everything to the mouse can lead to unfortunate mishaps, like firing your gun instead of moving or moving instead of firing your gun. So we had to put movement on RCLICK (the "increase aim" in JA2). The current system isn't perfect but it's the best compromise we found.

Togukawa

Savant
Patron
Agreed that copying JA2 makes no sense in 3D, I was just reacting to calling JA2 clunky. I feel like US is not better in that regard and in some aspects even worse.

If I remember correctly, in the demo it was hold shift, click the enemy to pop up the radial menu, click again on bodypart to shoot.
That's two left clicks and a keypress.

If I'm holding shift to indicate I want a targeted shot and my mouse moves over a target, why do I still have to click to open the menu?

Anyway I'm not a designer, just saying that even compared to JA2, some aspects of US feel clunky.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
While simply copying the JA2 aiming system was easy, we never set out to clone JA2. And in some aspects that would be pretty useless. An isometric 2D world has completely different rules from a 3D environment. It's a long list of differences you can all guess.

But to the raised point about mouse aim, in internal tests we found that due to the complex camera maneuvers you need to perform in a 3D world the attaching everything to the mouse can lead to unfortunate mishaps, like firing your gun instead of moving or moving instead of firing your gun. So we had to put movement on RCLICK (the "increase aim" in JA2). The current system isn't perfect but it's the best compromise we found.

Agreed that copying JA2 makes no sense in 3D, I was just reacting to calling JA2 clunky. I feel like US is not better in that regard and in some aspects even worse.

If I remember correctly, in the demo it was hold shift, click the enemy to pop up the radial menu, click again on bodypart to shoot.
That's two left clicks and a keypress.

If I'm holding shift to indicate I want a targeted shot and my mouse moves over a target, why do I still have to click to open the menu?

Anyway I'm not a designer, just saying that even compared to JA2, some aspects of US feel clunky.

I didn't play Urban Strife, so, I have no idea if the UI is clunky, it probably is but taking JA 2 as a model, for a 3D or even a 2D game woulmd have been a huge mistake anyway.

JA 2 UI is clunky.
UFO had a great UI for its time, in comparison.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Why would you take JA 2 as a model anyway over Silent Storm? JA 2 could aspire to shitshow, if it wasn't boring as all hell.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I honestly don't remember any issues with the UI. Think the only thing missing was an icon for careful aiming, since I skipped the tutorial and went through the whole demo wondering how to aim for the head :oops:

Last edited:

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
We've put a lot of work into migrating to an updated version of the Unreal Engine. The 4.18 was 5 years old and it was showing its age badly. Glad to report we managed to cross that bridge without any causalities. Speaking of the code, we've restructured its internals to make it even more modular and modding friendly, redesigned the looting system and kept expanding the main campaign/story towards the main city. All in all good progress so far, fingers crossed it stays this way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom