Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Urban Strife - turn-based zombie survival RPG

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
It's true that this game has a cool combat engine, but that's due to the Romanian devs making the game, not the publisher. They only signed up with MicroProse in 2020.

Microprose has a tradition of choosing potentially prestigious titles, I'm sure luj1 meant it as good sign.

When you suck too much Obsidian cock you forget that publishers and devs largely cross over in conceptual development. The publisher may change or add on certain aspects during development. As I explained (link), both the publisher and developer have a penchant for realistic combat simulation, which converges in amazing ways in Urban Strife. It doesn't matter that I meant it as a good sign, it *is* a good sign.

But yeah, fuck having a deep, polished combat engine, what an RPG needs is more cookie baking and talking pirate parrots. Faggot.

Last edited:

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
We have nothing against GOG or any other platforms for that matter and most likely we'll discuss having the game there too after release.

Regarding modding, we hope our SDK tools will make it a bit more user-friendly than what UE4 offers by default. It is true that in raw form it has quite a steep learning curve.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
let us promote something good for once. Because I doubt this will be featured on the front page
Sure, but as others wrote, I also had this game wishlisted for a long time now. Game journalism of late '90s was shit enough already to teach me to look for good games on my own ever since. Probably the only tactical game I'd say has more potential is End State, if it ever comes out.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
let us promote something good for once. Because I doubt this will be featured on the front page
Sure, but as others wrote, I also had this game wishlisted for a long time now. Game journalism of late '90s was shit enough already to teach me to look for good games on my own ever since. Probably the only tactical game I'd say has more potential is End State, if it ever comes out.
It's in early access now.
I would say that Project Haven and Cyber Knights: Flashpoint are also contenders.

ropetight

Scholar
It's in early access now.
I would say that Project Haven and Cyber Knights: Flashpoint are also contenders.
Based on Steam reactions, End State EA is more of a demo than release.
They still have good couple of years before release.
You gotta wonder when the devs will start to put first version to compile successfully as a early access.

Brothers behind Cyber Knights: Flashpoint have tendency for tight and deep mechanics and upgrading and fixing games over years.
But this is their first tacticool RPG - they were doing mostly space trading games before, so we will see.

Project Haven looks kind of nice, but it gives nuXCom vibe.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Brothers behind Cyber Knights: Flashpoint have tendency for tight and deep mechanics and upgrading and fixing games over years.
But this is their first tacticool RPG - they were doing mostly space trading games before, so we will see
Not really.
They made Templar Battleforce and Heroes of Steel, which both are decent tacticools.

ropetight

Scholar
But this is their first tacticool RPG - they were doing mostly space trading games before, so we will see
Not really.
They made Templar Battleforce and Heroes of Steel, which both are decent tacticools.
You are right - I even bought them, but forgot bout those twwo.
I hope that jump in graphics quality will not mean dumbing down of the game.

Trese Brothers made like 300 updates/patches to the Star Traders: Frontiers - I doubt they are finished yet.
Lots of different mechanics and complexity in that game.

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Well, it only took us a year (actually a bit more) and we're back with another Urban Strife public demo. We've had some discussions within the team and with some of our veteran testers and we've decided that the best option will be to release an updated Prologue demo, now with a functional base and economy. In addition to that we've redone a lot of the inventory interface, animations and mechanics because looting was one of the major gripes testers had with the game back in 2021. A lot of other improvements have taken place, but we won't spoil your surprise.

You won't get perks & weapon attachments yet (I mean true "JA2 style" attachment system, not just a crafting/combo recipe), those are slated for somewhere next month, but there will be 2 more festivals after this one and we'll show up at each of them with new features. You also won't actually build anything in Prologue (since that's the scope of the prologue, to rescue the architect of the Shelter and start upgrading it). But the survival economy will function and everything you loot will be of importance to that.

Last edited:

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Actually in the last year the focus has been on the main campaign (outside these prologue sectors). The mid-late game maps are in production as we speak and should be ready for combat and rpg scripting early next year. Being present at 3 festivals is an element of disturbance but on the other hand will get us to be very disciplined and strict with progress.

The prologue has benefited indirectly from the development. We haven't prepped it for the purpose of the demo, on the contrary, it feels now more as part of the main game than an isolated bit. We debated whether to show the prologue or go for a newer map in the demo but in the end the consensus was that it's better to give those who didn't play the prologue a chance to do it while those who already played will hopefully appreciate the improvements.

If you are curious about the other maps, check our dev blogs:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/710230/allnews/

Last edited:

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
We're scheduled to be featured on Friday @ #TurnBasedFest on twitch.tv/Zemalf stream. The stream will start at 12 EST / 17 GMT and that's when we'll launch the new demo. We'll be on the chat answering questions for the duration of the stream. We also have Zemalf some full release keys to give away during the event. Demo, of course, will require no keys, just a Steam account.

agris

Arcane
Patron
To make it easy for people, here's the demo:

5865e0d59368a4f0eb033bed5321e9d73d7cdc0a.gif

The new Urban Strife demo is launching Friday, December 9th, during an official launch party hosted on Zemalf, starting at 12 EST (17 GMT).

Urban Strife is joining another 300 turn-based games or so for the #TurnBasedFest event and you'll be able to download and play the demo for the entire duration. We'll come back with an updated demo in January and again, in February, for Spring NextFest!

The new demo is built on the latest production Unreal Engine (4.27) and thus comes with native 4k support. The entire interface has been upgraded to this new resolution, with some changes/improvement and additions to the shelter economy and looting HUD.

Speaking of looting, the entire system has been reworked, based on Loot Areas (more details in our DevBlogs) and container item preferences and should make more sense. No more pants found in fridges and no more spam cans rescued out of toilets. Cars and containers also change visual state when looted - that will also come in handy to quickly figure out what's up for grabs.

Combat wise we're on the second AI iteration and working on third already. The weapon load-out has been adjusted for all INTENDED enemies to fit the early game states of the Prologue. There are still main factions representatives present as an introduction to the game story and you can attack them, but beware, they're much well armed than a poor scavenger.

Finally, the main RPG quest lines have been streamlined for more logical completion. And there will be a looming shelter crisis you need to keep an eye on due to low resources, so make sure you do not forget about the folks back home. There will be NPCs in the base that will take your looted food (Kitchen Chef), medicine (Doctor) and morale (Mayor) items if you care to donate them.

Hope you'll enjoy the updates to the game and have a good time playing the demo!

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Also the biggest change affecting combat are the zombie spawners. People playing the old demo complained the zombies were too few and harmless, not fit for a zombie apocalypse. Now with the spawner mechanic if you play bad you get yourself in trouble with them asap. Spawners look like piles of dead people and are scattered in various places. Each of them has a total number of waves, consisting of X number of zombies (depending on difficulty), but only IF they are alerted. You can destroy the spawners by burning the bodies with a molotov cocktail.

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
It's been out since Friday? If you want to install it today might be the last day you can do that. Festival is over tomorrow and it will be taken offline for fixes and upgrades.

agris

Arcane
Patron
It's been out since Friday? If you want to install it today might be the last day you can do that. Festival is over tomorrow and it will be taken offline for fixes and upgrades.
Taking your demo offline continues to be a really puzzling move to me. If one of the goals is to build buzz through word-of-mouth via players, severely restricting people's ability to try your game to some narrow slice of days is completely incongruent with that.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Also the biggest change affecting combat are the zombie spawners. People playing the old demo complained the zombies were too few and harmless, not fit for a zombie apocalypse. Now with the spawner mechanic if you play bad you get yourself in trouble with them asap. Spawners look like piles of dead people and are scattered in various places. Each of them has a total number of waves, consisting of X number of zombies (depending on difficulty), but only IF they are alerted. You can destroy the spawners by burning the bodies with a molotov cocktail.

Good idea, I like it

Please don't make this game too easy and zombies too harmless

Dying Light 1 is totally a different game than Urban Strife, but they had some nice ideas about zombies and day/night cycle, just saying

Do you have any different kind of zombies or zombie dynamics except horde AI and spawners?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The new Urban Strife demo is launching Friday, December 9th, during an official launch party hosted on Zemalf, starting at 12 EST (17 GMT).

Deserves to be posted on the front page, but 1) it doesn't involve Sawyer, 2) it's a real RPG, and 3) Shillfinitron didn't get free copies

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I had no idea the demo was even out, this should have been front page news.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom