Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Urban Strife - turn-based zombie survival RPG

Harthwain

Magister
Played the demo for a bit, my impressions: I like that aiming for the head or legs costs the same as a regular (torso) shot. It never made sense to me why would a headshot be more expensive, like in fallout.
The idea is that precise aiming is harder than aiming for the center mass. And if a precise shot costs the same as a regular one, you are always better off doing the kind of shot that does most damage.

Acrux

Arcane
Played the demo for a bit, my impressions: I like that aiming for the head or legs costs the same as a regular (torso) shot. It never made sense to me why would a headshot be more expensive, like in fallout.
The idea is that precise aiming is harder than aiming for the center mass. And if a precise shot costs the same as a regular one, you are always better off doing the kind of shot that does most damage.
This can be balanced by CtH, too. Otherwise, yes, why wouldn't you take an aimed shot?

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
We can't go with the v1.13 style straight from the box, modders need room to work too, you know...
I totally understand, JA2 style is good enough for me.

Honestly I am surprised, you and the team really did a good job on the game, when I play it (5 hours so far on hardcore), it is such a throwback to JA2 and that comes not easily from me. There hasn't been a true JA2 successor for me. The last game I was looking forward to, was Phoenix Point and that ... didn't go well to say it nicely.

But for real, I like the visuals, I like the HUD (which needs some more work), I like the animations, I like the sound and the music but most of all, the combat feels so satisfying and old-school in a very good way.
Urban State just made it on top of my top3 anticipated games (1. Urban State, 2. Homicidal All-Stars, 3. Jagged Alliance 3).

And I am just thinking if Jagged Alliance 3 is a let down (which is very possible to me), maybe bears pit picks up on Urban State and mod it to become the true JA (1.1)3!
Have you tried the Project Haven demo too, brother? Another game that, along with Urban Strife, can give JA3 a run for its money.

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can confirm, we paid those two crazy (in a good way) Portuguese a visit a while ago and tested an early demo of their game. I mean they built their own freaking motion capture rig, they're incredibly talented. From a tiny studio to another tiny studio, they have all our respect.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Can confirm, we paid those two crazy (in a good way) Portuguese a visit a while ago and tested an early demo of their game. I mean they built their own freaking motion capture rig, they're incredibly talented. From a tiny studio to another tiny studio, they have all our respect.
Most wholesome comment I've read in a while on this forum. Respect!

PanteraNera

Arcane
Have you tried the Project Haven demo too, brother? Another game that, along with Urban Strife, can give JA3 a run for its money.
Damn bro, I totally forgot about the game! It looks much much much more polished to what I remember. Thanks for reminding me!

PanteraNera

Arcane
Come play the Urban Strife Prologue Demo at Spring NextFest!
The updated Prologue with economy NPCs and base upgrades is finally here!

After a much too short appearance in December, we promised you an improved Prologue Demo, one that embeds most of your feedback and adds more of the economy/survival layer to the mix. The time has come to reveal the new build, so we welcome you to come and try it. Below are a couple of the main features you might want to check out.

Complete overhaul of most of the HUD
The inventory/backpack has been completely redesigned, with a new player equipment and health chart that dynamically shows you the body parts that are bleeding/bandaged, the stats affected by the wounds and the debuffs you might carry. While here you might also notice the item filters present on all inventories, including a nice new SORT button to order those massive loot hauls. And we’ve begun to add new hover windows to items and HUD, showing shortcuts and other useful information. Crafting was overhauled too, but the good stuff there (attachments, armor, throwables, etc) is still in the works.
4a3aa702703a350e93ac614ac803eeac1bc87776.png

You can finally expand the Shelter!
Exploring the Shelter you should be aware that all the economy NPCs now also have a quest for you to build them a specific base upgrade. Ask them to show you the blueprints and you’ll see what they can build and what the costs in materials are and get to it! And speaking of materials, seek out Mr. Fulton-Vine in the courtyard, he will gladly take any recyclable parts, old guns, tools, spare gas. Then he will kindly stash those into the base meters, from where you can deduct them to build your upgrades (and in the future, other useful stuff, such as bullets, armor, optical kits, etc).
69feb3a5fbc6ad765236233827ad6e9949cf0105.png

New map modes & no more free meals
You might also see a couple of references to “scavenger teams”. If you check out the new map you will see that there’s a WIP mode called SCOUT/SUPPLY. These are teams of refugees that you will able to send out to discover new locations for you and, once you’ve cleared them of enemies, basically haul home everything that’s not bolted down. So no more meals for free, everyone’s contributing to the common good soon! Speaking of travel, by building the Garage upgrade, you will be able to salvage certain cars and use them as squad transport, starting with Sheriff Rogers’ old police cruiser. For this to happen you would need to get rid of Lino Cesare and his thugs first though, so no, you won’t (yet) show off your new old car in the demo, but it’s coming.
867991968ff258b5603e401f899ffeb4f457b51e.jpg

First batch of QoL improvements and more coming...
We’ve given you more leeway with the impending resource crisis, compared to December build, so now you have a bit more time before any real drama happens. But this is for demo purposes only – in the main game you will have to get those refugees to work and start scavenging and building or you will have them hungry, sick and rioting ASAP. Now with all that loot, you can try visiting the traders (Honest Joe in Little Italy or Private Benny in Old Port) and check out their updated interface, showing numerical info about how they smile and rob you in clear daylight. But hey, if you don’t like what’s on offer, you can always pull out a gun and try robbing them back. If you can hold you own against bikers or soldiers armed to the teeth that is…
28f8e635808bd22eec2e1a2cdf28399913b18d43.jpg

ENJOY!

Lhynn

Arcane
We paint the world as we see it. Pompous pretentious heiress will speak like a pompous pretentious heiress, an uneducated redneck will speak like an uneducated redneck and a chinese agent that wants to pass for a poor immigrant will speak like a poor immigrant.

If that's woke, we might have different definition of wokeism.
Long as a tranny doesnt speak like a woman.

Dexter

Arcane
Finally gave this a go, probably because it looks less Shovelware-y with the new portraits and some of the UI changes. The game starts with a Tutorial where a young woman named Kaylee saves (Player character) by using bandages and adrenaline after an ambulance crashed and was attacked by a horde of zombies on the highway near Atlanta, Georgia. This leads you to a simplistic character creation screen where wearing a cap is a "hair type".

ALT to highlight lootables. Turn-based Mode triggered upon combat initiation or coming into sight/hearing range of enemies. AP for actions like shooting, movement, reload (remaining AP are displayed to the right of a character's name - which for some reason isn't made clear and I only found out about after I started counting bubbles). Crouch for Stealth. Melee weapons and Crossbows are silent. SHIFT+LMB to target body parts like Torso or Head. After a brief combat Tutorial you are led to the Shelter in Urban City (hence the name of the game) where you are introduced to its leaders and your starting companions. There's various characters and elements that try to make it clear that the game is set in the South. Writing, dialogue and characters seem okay aside from the frequent typos and a bit of cringe trying to emulate American accents in text. You are made Sheriff Deputy and sent out on missions for the Shelter to repay them for saving you. You don't have much of a choice about this (or generally in dialogue).

The first party will be (Player character) who has amnesia and doesn't remember much, Kaylee the woman who saved you, probably mentally retarded Sheriff Billy Bo and nurse Lucy Li, a Chinese caricature who has a thing for refugees. Their local enemy is "The Legion" across the river, Roman Empire LARPers with their boss Caesar (Lino Cesare). If you step into homes "Owned" by a faction to look around and are seen, the people inside will attack you. On your first trip outside you'll first fight a band of looters. Combat reminds me a lot of JA2. Q/E to rotate the map. Hide behind objects for cover so the enemies miss, burst through doors/windows and the likes when it's your turn and take the best shot. If you shoot enemies in the head they sometimes fall to the ground dazed and remain dazed, allowing you to finish them off.
20230216062702-1.jpg
20230216063839-1.jpg

There's some resource and building/facilities Upgrade system for the shelter that you'll have to pay attention to regarding food, medical supplies, entertainment to keep up morale, fuel etc. that can lead to a Game Over (the game warns). Don't know about the Meta Base Supply mechanics yet tho, and especially the "real time" part of it, since I usually take my time exploring every nook and cranny of maps, looting everything that isn't bolted down and fighting every enemy available. But it kind of hints at the base becoming somewhat self-sufficient after a few Upgrades, so it might not be an issue down the road. At the very least they should Pause the game while in Menus like reading the diary, looking at the map/shelter Upgrades or in the ESC Menu when you're AFK a bit.

There's Quests that you can stumble upon in the Overworld locations that you can visit. They're indicated by NPCs with a Yellow Exclamation Mark above their head. Some of these seem to be Optional. In the Demo/Prologue there's three areas to explore: Adams Villa, where "The Legion" has their headquarters in a large Villa, The Old Port where the National Guard set up a forward base to combat a Zombie horde plaguing the area and Little Italy where Uncle Joe Hicks set up shop to sell to bikers.

It seems the best tactic against a horde of zombies is "HAMMER TIME!". Walk up to them and plonk them in the head without alerting others nearby. If it's a spawner just place your troops right outside of their reach so that they can walk right up to you but don't have enough AP to actually attack, get its attention with one char, walk back to the others and plonk them in the head as they each come close, since they will all try to get in melee range.
20230217021845-1.jpg

Some weird Loading issues where at the beginning loading the Main Menu or New Game the game appeared stuck and one or two bugs like not being able to loot a corpse that fell wrong inside a bus or near a corner aside, AI seems to still need a bit of work. For instance I took out the Moonshiners by climbing over the fence and hitting them in the head one by one with a crowbar as they were patrolling near the fence for the most part. None of them began to wonder why there's like three dead bodies of their mates lying on the ground at their feet before they were plonked over the head themselves. Took "The Legion" out the same way, here's my Hammer Squad at work sneaking into Caesar's bedroom at 5AM, a Legionnaire patrol before their heads unwittingly became improvised baseballs and a Screenshot I dubbed "The Last Legionnaire":
20230217040153-1.jpg
20230217041308-1.jpg
20230217042447-1.jpg

So yeah, I don't know if it's deliberate to be able to take out the entire Legion without even being attacked once with a HAMMER/BASEBALL BAT squad, but it certainly seems to be the cheese mechanic to use in the game right now. It's too easy and useful. Once you got 4-5 people equipped with Spiked Bats that do 40-75 Damage, usually take an enemy out in one hit SILENTLY (not alarming the horde as opposed to guns) AND knockout an enemy so he's out of the fight upon a successful hit to the head, why would you ever use any other tactic to take out groups of 2-4 enemies? Thus, the most fun fight in the Demo was the first one against the Looters I just stumbled into unprepared, before I became more aware of the mechanics and rushed people into the house to eliminate the ones inside, then found cover near the windows and had stand-off gunfights against the remaining enemies outside. They should probably do something to prevent this from becoming the "Meta" way to play the game. Either change the way blunt melee works, introduce enemies against which it doesn't or that will break up cheese tactics as part of the horde, or bite the bullet and just Alert an entire base outside of specific Stealth missions and balance around that.

Anyway, aside from that this was one of the rare games that I tended to like more the longer I played it. Wishlisted since I overall had a positive impression of it.

Some other Quality of life stuff that would be nice is pooling the inventories on a separate screen while in the Shelter, so you can more easily donate the Supplies at the respective NPCs without having to go through the inventory of every character every single time. This is also annoying when trying to trade Ammo or weapons between characters, because the game doesn't remember which Tab you had open on the last char. So you have to click every character (4-5 of them) and navigate to the "Ammo" Tab for each instead of the game making it easier by just remembering what you last clicked on. After the Caesar raid your entire Squad also starts looking like a party of LARPing Murderhobos themselves instead of keeping their distinctive looks. Maybe have a toggle for helmets or armor with more subdued design that complements characters better later in the game? Or at the very least hide them in Cutscenes at the Shelter, because this shit looks silly:
20230217043700-1.jpg
20230217044046-1.jpg
20230217045230-1.jpg

Another thread on the Codex the devs might want to check out (especially the latter pages): https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/overpaid-voice-actors-seethe-at-being-replaced-by-ai.144805/

20230216043719-1.jpg
20230216050456-1.jpg
20230216050909-1.jpg
20230216052225-1.jpg
20230216052832-1.jpg
20230216053307-1.jpg
20230216054612-1.jpg
20230216060118-1.jpg
20230216060459-1.jpg
20230216061027-1.jpg
20230216061626-1.jpg
20230216062158-1.jpg
20230216062212-1.jpg
20230216070053-1.jpg
20230216070400-1.jpg
20230216071648-1.jpg
20230216072603-1.jpg
20230216082828-1.jpg
20230216083132-1.jpg
20230217011132-1.jpg
20230217011442-1.jpg
20230217013121-1.jpg
20230217022831-1.jpg
20230217031914-1.jpg
20230217032636-1.jpg
20230217043611-1.jpg
20230217050357-1.jpg
20230217051132-1.jpg

Last edited:

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Good feedback, thank you.

A small note, time is paused in menus.
And there will be more types of armor available, less LARP styled.
The melee does seem a bit overpowered atm, especially for a player that knows his stealth tactics. Noted.

Interesting AI tool, we'll check it out.

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
The melee does seem a bit overpowered atm, especially for a player that knows his stealth tactics. Noted.
Hand to hand combat being overpowered, especially from stealth should be as intended. Yes, I have an agenda. Yes, I like monks.

The monks have more than one trick up their sleeve in Urban Strife.

The demo doesn't really have a weapon progression, it's more of a showcase so yea, you get your hands on some pretty mean stuff that does 300 dmg with a headshot. Everything will be better balanced in the full campaign. But if someone managed to sneak in melee range of a guard, yes, they deserve a reward. You'll be surprised how hard that is for most. Heck we've had a lot die to the zombies on the bridge in the tutorial, nevermind lay waste to the Legion using hammers.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The monks have more than one trick up their sleeve in Urban Strife.

The demo doesn't really have a weapon progression, it's more of a showcase so yea, you get your hands on some pretty mean stuff that does 300 dmg with a headshot. Everything will be better balanced in the full campaign. But if someone managed to sneak in melee range of a guard, yes, they deserve a reward. You'll be surprised how hard that is for most. Heck we've had a lot die to the zombies on the bridge in the tutorial, nevermind lay waste to the Legion using hammers.
Mersi frumos ca va ganditi si la cei ca mine. Va uresc mult succes! :)

Dexter

Arcane
But if someone managed to sneak in melee range of a guard, yes, they deserve a reward. You'll be surprised how hard that is for most. Heck we've had a lot die to the zombies on the bridge in the tutorial, nevermind lay waste to the Legion using hammers.
I can get dying to the zombies on the bridge, since you don't know the game mechanics yet and are still learning. But Stealth doesn't really require player skill and isn't "rocket surgery". You just hit the "C" button on all characters and they're in Stealth and nobody can see them until they get really close. It would also be slightly different or potentially more difficult if the sight cones weren't visible if you hover over a tile. But since they are and there's usually only groups of 3-4 NPCs blobbed together, most of which don't move at all, all you have to do is switch to a melee weapon and navigate all your characters to a tile close to them that doesn't have the "red eye" symbol. They usually have blind spots behind and to the left and right side of them where you can crouch one tile away. Then just go ahead and attack them, since your characters always have the initiative engaging combat and move first. I just hope this doesn't become a viable tactic for the rest of the game once you've figured that out.

I just reloaded a Save and did a short demonstration so people can see it in action, expires in a day:

Last edited:

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Btw the "alerted by dead allies" is on a long to-do list for the AI, I asked. Also making the surprise attacks from the back the true real killer and less so those from front. And finally, stealth will become more refined once specializations (perks) come into play. Now even an elephant can sneak, that will change.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
-No party inventory, when one person picks something i can't move it to other person afterwards
Edit: nvm, there's inventory swap between members, disregard my point, although i like shared party inventory with still weight limits applied to particular party member holding items.
-The crafting menu is too much "in your face" feeling.

Otherwise i enjoy the flow of combat.

Old Hans

Arcane
here is sneaking behind hordes of mindless biters, tactical combat and gun porn, so fuck the story in this case!
I feel like good solid writing is an important aspect. poorly written characters/plot can really drag everything else down until all your left with is mindlessly looting a bunch of junk like fallout 4

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
That crafting menu will go back to where is was, under its own button. The new 4k UI had to be redone at warp speed for the NextFest and not much time was left for tweaking.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Few more things:
-Please merge zombie loot into one corpse
-You give too much shotgun ammo at the first map and thus zombies are not a challenge
-Give short range penalties, introduce panic mechanics, or make zombie hordes bigger to give challenge. Right now you can equip all of your party members with sawn-off shotguns, and they can clear up to 8 zombies without problem using the shot in the face tactic.

USG_Mucifikatorul

White Pond Games
Patron
Developer
Did you use sawed-off shotguns to clear the zombies in Port, too? That's bloody impressive since there are about 5 spawns there that would converge on your location.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Did you use sawed-off shotguns to clear the zombies in Port, too? That's bloody impressive since there are about 5 spawns there that would converge on your location.

Yes i've just cleared it using sawnoffs only. Im playing normal difficulty. The tactic is to destroy a group of 4, retreat, reload, destroy a group, retreat, reload and so on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom