Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Urtuk: The Desolation - open-world dark fantasy turn-based RPG

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why is there two threads :(

I have been played like a fiddle.

APGunner

Augur
Art style seems to be similar to Darkest Dungeon, but with less details(look at the stagecoach on the first screen in OP).

I hope gameplay is like Battle for Wesnoth, but with less random.

MadSheepStudios

Mad Sheep Studios
Developer
Hi all,

I want to clarify for those who compare this game to Battle Brothers, that in no case the game copies BB gameplay.

Urtuk will have different setting, story, core mechanics and battle system. We are currently developing procedural generated world map along with entities and quests.

We intend to have the player 'recruit' *any* character in the world by 'capturing' him in the battle and then 'persuade' him to join your party.

We introduced the 'support' abilities system where your attacking character will gain bonus properties from your other ally if in right (flanking) positions, it can be something like lifesteal, bonus armour pierce, damage mitigation etc.. We focus with the battle mechanics to have the player 'disposition' enemies and take advantage from the environment, for example, if you bash enemy against a rock, he will be stunned. You can push him over spikes, etc so damage it significantly or kill it immediately. If you push an enemy against your ally, your ally will automaticaly attack (e.g. retaliate) against pushed enemy. So it's about optimizing your damage output, mitigating most damage taken and take terrain into account to create CC effects (stun, slow, poison).

Characters will have four primary attributes: strength, vitality, endurance and concentration. STR has direct impact on attack damage, VIT increases heatlh, END increases stamina (e.g. 'currency' for abilities usages), and CONC has direct impact how often (or powerful) your secondary abilities are..
The combat emphasizes on combos between your attacking character and flanking units. Berserker class can for example trigger 'Double Strike' effect on support, where the attack will attack twice in row.

We don't want to put hundreds of abilities into game where they would differ only in minor effects. Instead we concentrate to have only few skills but with great impact and combo possibilities.

The armour/pierce system in the game works very simple: if a character wears for example an helmet, there is a chance to completely nullify incoming damage.
On the other hand, there is also an 'armour pierce' effect with some weapons, meaning, if the defender's 'block' of an piece of equipment triggers, it is canceled with that AP weapon.

There are many more combat system rules, I'll explain them later in our dev blog..

Mustawd

Well, there seems to be some overlap with RPGs and dating sims :)

Unfortunately, yes. Some devs have weird sicko fantasies they decide play out in video game form. But any respectable rpg does not have romances.

Mustawd

Yes, I'm being edgy, but I mainly meant Biowarian romances.

MadSheepStudios

Mad Sheep Studios
Developer
The zone of control is actually featured in the game, but only some classes have it. It's also not 'automatically' triggered, instead the unit must first attack the enemy, which gets then 'rooted', e.g. with attack of oportunity if it moves.

Yes, the dead animation needs some love, we might give it another animation..

MadSheepStudios

Mad Sheep Studios
Developer
Only the unit who roots the other enemy gets attack of opportunity if the rooted enemy moves, and only on the rooted enemy.
We didnt want to have the ZOC implicitly as the units doesnt move too far, normally 2hexes, fast units 3hexes. Also we want to emphasize the 'positioning' of units because of flanking and bash/retaliate combos.. for example the Assassin class will 'backstab' (4x normal dmg) the enemy if this enemy gets bashed against assassin by one of the ally units.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom