Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

V Rising - open world survival game where you play as a vampire and build a castle

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
It's like Valheim with Vampires. Combat is a lot better, like some twin-stick shooter. I like how the game plays and looks. Building your own castle is neat.

I suggest people wait until patches fix the horrible performance and crashes.

Mazisky

Magister
I haven't had a single crash or bug (other than the sunlight inside castle which they are fixing) in 30 hours, however I play single player PVE, so i guess issues are related to PVP servers

DakaSha

Arcane
Combat is a lot better, like some twin-stick shooter.

It plays like battlerite (edit: control wise) since thats it what its based on, which is less like a twin stick shooter and exactly like a MOBA with WASD movement instead of mouse clicking.

Will give it a try once my friend gets time since its clearly meant for co-op

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
it's obviously inspired by games like victor vran which has a vastly superior control scheme compared to left mouse click simulators

randir14

Augur
no roguelite or metroidvania elements??
There are metroidvania elements in the sense that you need to unlock new abilities to access certain areas. For example I found a bandit fort with huge gates that require explosives to destroy, which I haven't unlocked yet. And I heard later on you get bat form that allows you to fly to new places.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I've heard this game has full loot pvp and no level scaling. Yet there are codexers bitching about it.

Codexers really like to bitch for the sake of bitching...

randir14

Augur
I just found a little girl locked up in a cage, when I freed her she screamed "papa!" and tried to run away, but I drained her blood. It's been years since I've played a game with killable kids.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Codexers really like to bitch for the sake of bitching...
It's a proud tradition!

On the game itself, just looks too grindy to me.
However, I also know you can customize your (private) server's values, so maybe with the right settings you can just play it like a "normal" game without having to grind down montains to build a few walls...

Brickfrog

Learned
This game is quickly becoming the new hot shit.

The hardcore mode is pretty hardcore. Plenty of tools for griefing. Seems like fun.
All loot dropping on death + gear levelling system means that every death can mean a long rebuild if you don't prepare backup gear.

Its an insane hybrid of survival games, mobas, and Diablo, with an optional DayZ/Tarkov style pvp loot system thrown in. Destructible environments, varied enemies with decent ai, bosses seem fairly tough and there are some decent metroidvania elements. There is no true rogue like mode but playing on hardcore and having all of your gear drop on death will make you consider starting a new character if you aren't very well prepared.

Whats probably going to put codexers off of this game is the gear based levelling system. Players can gain abilities by killing bosses, but ultimately your attack, defense and health is tied entirely to your gear ala Destiny. So there's basically no traditional RPG character development outside of selecting your skills, magic and choosing your weapon. No stat customization, skill points or level ups. Combat is read and reaction based, like a fighting game or moba or whatever.

It's not running smoothly at high graphics on my 1070ti but it's running at high fps on medium. I expect updates will improve performance in time.

This is the kind of game that will scratch a very specific autistic itch for some people and will be utterly ignored by most after the initial wave of interest fades.

It's extremely well made for a $20 game. It doesn't feel like an early access game.
I imagine they decided to price it at $20 because that's about the most that you're willing to spend on a game that your friend who likes survival games wants to play with you. Smart strategy to be honest.

Last edited:

randir14

Augur
I unlocked an ability to disguise myself as a human. Kind of reminds me of Blood Omen, since you can use the transformation to travel freely in cities without being attacked. Supposedly it also lets you buy stuff from merchants but I haven't seen any.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
A literal Dota 2 + Fortnite and you are addicted to it like pathetic little cucks

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I kind of always wanted to play a vampire overlord with complete and absolute power over the nearby townships but... EA, so pass for now.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
guys i have tried the game ( the "demo" online version). and shit , as a person that despise the micromanagement of survivals, i played 2 hours nonstop and had a lot of fun. if only werent for EA, and i had some friend interested, i could buy.

Mazisky

Magister
guys i have tried the game ( the "demo" online version). and shit , as a person that despise the micromanagement of survivals, i played 2 hours nonstop and had a lot of fun. if only werent for EA, and i had some friend interested, i could buy.

Yeah, I don't like survival games either but this one hooked me. I think the reason is because it plays more like an action rpg like diablo or grim dawn.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected

Yeah, I don't like survival games either but this one hooked me. I think the reason is because it plays more like an action rpg like diablo or grim dawn.
for me it's also the fact that while mantaining the social aspects of a survival game, it cut some angles like extreme grind and micromanagement . for example your equipped gear doesnt drop wheb you die. also tools have infinite durability and do not nee d to be recrafted every minute because they break powers and equipment gives a nice sense of undeletable progression and so on. i think It's a very balanced and well designed game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom