Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Vagrus: The Riven Realms - post-apocalyptic fantasy caravan master RPG - now with Sunfire & Moonshadow expansion

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Any Codex review planned?

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
You "only" have 10 years to fulfill your ambition. The freeplay one allows you to pick up ambitions as you play, but those will also ahve to be fulfilled within 10years of the game start. Whether or not that is in any way difficult to achieve, I have no idea, so far none of my games have made it past 200 days.

Zeriel

Arcane
Was that supposed to be communicated somewhere? I've never seen any warning on the ambitions or anywhere else. Oopsie.

Jinn

Arcane
Was that supposed to be communicated somewhere? I've never seen any warning on the ambitions or anywhere else. Oopsie.

It says in the ambition description when you're creating your character.

I feel like it'd take the average person at least a good 60-70 hours to hit that 10 years, unless you're spamming time progression like crazy, which will inevitably end up costing you too many resources in the long run.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
Why this "Sergorod" looks like evil god?
And whole cities and your own empire serves him. Seems oversight on developers part.
Don't really know,haven't read the whole codex on the gods,they all call them evil but they look like pretty reasonable gods. That dude just sends me to kill criminals and other scum,the undead god sends me to kill unsanctioned undeads and the demon one asked me to convince some dude to go find its destiny.

the whole gods thing is Imho setup so that they are What if Chaos gods actually fulfilled their positive aspects as well, they are basically dark gods but they are not evil gods so to speak, If you play tutorial you see Sergorods more negative aspects what with the Black Knight, althrought part of it is how lineral that campaign is to me he acted reasonable until the last moment when he went nuts but that was also because one of your companions backstabed him so to speak,

CaesarCzech

Scholar
Okay can anyone tell me how big the map actually is it ? since devs seem to have gone the route of giving you illusion of larger world without telling you how big the playable area actually is. honestly looks like they ran out of money.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
I think it's pretty much this part of the map, so Avernum/Larnak in the west, Twin Towers to the south, a bit beyond Deven in the north, Crimson Gate/Mines of Plenty in the east? Dunno if more opens up later in the south, but I don't think it does. Map is definitely much larger than what you can currently play, which is quite disappointing. Then again, I've never went further west than Crystal so far, and I mostly avoid Deven/Ash and the Salt mines as well. Plenty of stuff to do still.
ca10eed7e7.jpg

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Map is definitely much larger than what you can currently play, which is quite disappointing
yup,especially when there is plenty of interesting places like the dragon lands to the west or the dead desert up north. To the west tho there is two major cities and pretty long major quest and 7-8 small villages.

suggestions with the mantis bartender and the orc questlines? i don't understand the former ("kill stuff, he'll tell you when he's got enough") and nothing started for the latter.
i found the dark elf, no idea how to interact with the prince to free him, freed the wraith who at some point just disappeared from my party, and lost the caravan survivor for ONE FUCKING MOVEMENT POINT. i need a magic user to equip the crystals protection.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
suggestions with the mantis bartender and the orc questlines? i don't understand the former ("kill stuff, he'll tell you when he's got enough") and nothing started for the latter.
i found the dark elf, no idea how to interact with the prince to free him, freed the wraith who at some point just disappeared from my party, and lost the caravan survivor for ONE FUCKING MOVEMENT POINT. i need a magic user to equip the crystals protection.
you need to get higher loyalty with the ork and then win arena fights.

Harthwain

Magister
Looks amazing at a glance, what do I need to know?
I would say it's a mix between Battle Brothers and Sunless Sea. Combat reminds me a lot of Darkest Dungeon (only here it's 2x3, not 1x4).

One thing I don't like is the color of the "Changers" in the UI - it looks a bit like tarnished gold, but is supposed to be less valuable than copper, which threw me off-guard. The awkward naming convention (Bross, Lyrg) doesn't help. Since they try to lean to heavily into the whole Roman theme they could use Sestertius, Denarius and As instead (gold, silver and bronze/copper).

you need to get higher loyalty with the ork and then win arena fights.
how? i've been stuffing him with oil and the other guy with drugs, and nothing has been happening for 400 days.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Does anyone know what reputation you need to reach with the Abolitinionists for them to start reaching out to you and start their questline? Starting to wonder if theres even a point trying to help Slaves whenever I can, since it'll most likely piss of half the houses and both Churches to do so.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Does anyone know what reputation you need to reach with the Abolitinionists for them to start reaching out to you and start their questline? Starting to wonder if theres even a point trying to help Slaves whenever I can, since it'll most likely piss of half the houses and both Churches to do so.
Fuck off,cuck !

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Oh, don't worry, its not happening anytime soon. Enslaving entire Outlaw or Mercenary camps is way too profitable.
4dcb1fd3d3.jpg

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Oh, don't worry, its not happening anytime soon. Enslaving entire Outlaw or Mercenary camps is way too profitable.
4dcb1fd3d3.jpg
It is pretty stupid that you get loyalty hit for enslaving people. Being attacked by retards and then enslaving them is seen as cruel according the game. Pretty daft move for sure.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
It is pretty stupid that you get loyalty hit for enslaving people. Being attacked by retards and then enslaving them is seen as cruel according the game. Pretty daft move for sure.
Definitely. Thankfully the retarded orc is the only one who complains about it, and he can be kept happy with oil and weapons which are fairly easy to get. So far none of the other companions complained about me strolling into a town with 70 slaves in tow and selling them off for a nice penny.

Zeriel

Arcane
Honestly I think Eylani might be even worse than Gorgoro in terms of common game mechanics pissing her off. Killing animals/slaughtering your own beasts seems to piss her off, which is... really bad.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Where do you pick up Eylani, anyway? I've gotten 6 out of the 9(?) companions there are, and I know that 2 more are far off to the west. Currently doing most of the missions around Deven and will probably stock up on some money and supplies to prepare for a trip to the west.

Also, fuck the undead. At least regular mercenaries and humans fuck off after being beaten into submission, but nothing is worse than fighting the remaining 100 strength army of skeletons and losing as many units while sweepin them up, as you did during the first round of combat. Fuck those fuckers. Especially when they manage to kill multiple beasts.
:x

Zeriel

Arcane
Tectum Carvos. Be warned that it's a bit of a late-game area, the fight to get into the town will prolly be annoying if you are still using starter companions prowess level.

The others you probably are missing if you have 6:

Skornar (front line melee) in Avernum

Nedir (I think? that's her name, mage/slavedriver) in Larnak

I actually prefer undead since they only fight you and aren't interested in stealing stuff.

Zeriel

Arcane
Incidentally, did anyone ever find out how to progress the "secret" in Salum? I exhausted every hook I could find there and even did some salt mining to see if it would proc from that, but never found anything about it or a developed storyline there despite being max rep with both dragon factions and doing all the faction storylines.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Incidentally, did anyone ever find out how to progress the "secret" in Salum? I exhausted every hook I could find there and even did some salt mining to see if it would proc from that, but never found anything about it or a developed storyline there despite being max rep with both dragon factions and doing all the faction storylines.
Not sure if it leads to anything, but I did get a quest there from an Imperial Spy asking me to pit the dragon factions against each other. I haven't delved into it as much just yet, but it definitely seemed to be related to the entire Salum situation with the blue gang not really caring at all about the salt, but having other priorities instead. But maybe its just a red herring, as it's not listed as an objective but as a Quality instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom