Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Valorant Thread

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm not sure what percentage of the Codex plays FPS or has ever played CS:GO, but Valorant is a new game that was developed by the same people that created League of Legends. It's takes elements from both CS:GO and Overwatch, and blends them into something that's incredibly fun to play, with a ton of nuance. It has very similar mechanics to CS:GO, so don't expect this to be CoD or Apex Legends where you can just run around shooting people. Here is a gameplay montage which shows how the game works. Sadly none of the promotional stuff is very good as Riot loves to put out cinematics for some god awful reason.

Does anyone play? I'd be down to try duoing with some people. If not, has anyone played Counter Strike? It's very similar, and I can't imagine it'd be too hard to switch, as the shooting physics are almost identical.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Mate I have played CS since before 2000 and that looks like dogshit. The cancer of MOBA spreading onto (formerly) arena shooters is one the worst declines in gaming.

polo

Magister
If u want to play something like csgo just play csgo. Its better than any copycats. Except for the cheaters.

Erikkolai

Learned
Seems like a more sterile and family friendly Chinese version of CSGO. At least it has VOIP though.

Nathir

Liturgist
I can't get into this artstyle. It's so boring. Gameplay looks whatever. If I want to shoot guns I can just play CS without a rainbow diarrhea flashing on my screen every 30 seconds.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Bunch of people talking that clearly haven't played the game.
Mate I have played CS since before 2000 and that looks like dogshit. The cancer of MOBA spreading onto (formerly) arena shooters is one the worst declines in gaming.
Why does it look like dogshit? Cause it has abilities? The maps are well designed, the shooting and weapons feel great, and most of the abilities are similar to the utility you could buy in Counter Strike. The other abilities allow for some great outplay potential by giving different movement options and the occasional damaging ability.
If u want to play something like csgo just play csgo. Its better than any copycats. Except for the cheaters.
I tried CS:GO, and something about it felt a little off. I'm thinking its something to do with the optimization or art style, because for some reason it never really felt as smooth as I would like it to be.
I can't get into this artstyle. It's so boring. Gameplay looks whatever. If I want to shoot guns I can just play CS without a rainbow diarrhea flashing on my screen every 30 seconds.
The art style is actually great. It's a great balance between being too realistic and too cartoony, and the game is really well optimized. The simplistic textures and art allow you to focus far more on the enemies and aiming.
Different game, but I tried playing Paladins recently just to see what these games are like (I know, Overwatch is the more obvious choice, but I'm not paying for that shit), and oh myyyy gaaaaaaaaad it's so dumb. The most superficial aspects of MOBAs and TF2 combined into an insultingly easy, shallow game that's thoroughly unexciting to play. So what's this game supposed to offer that'd make it any better? Um, it's, like, it's like Counter-Strike, and, um, but it's like a MOBA. COZ MOBERZ ARE KEWLZ!!!11 EVERY GAEM SHULD BE A MOBER!!!!!!!!!!!! I know the Codex doesn't give a shit about Valve games, but Team Fortress 2 is so much better than this shit, and so is Counter-Strike, and so is Dota 2.
Mate, Paladins is literally nothing like this game. It's far closer to TF2 and Overwatch than either CS:GO or Valorant, and it's really incomparable. Paladins looks like garbage, wouldn't try it even if I could have it downloaded on my computer right this instant. TF2 is completely different than what this game is offering, so it's a moot comparison.

As for how CS:GO compares to Valorant, I'll quote a pro who was talking about it. The cap on mechanical ability in Valorant is lower than it is in CS:GO. In CS:GO, if your mechanics are good enough, sometimes you don't even need to think, just out aim everyone. In Valorant, due to the sheer amount of abilities and the complexities of how different agent compositions mesh together and who you might be facing, there are a lot more variables that you need to keep track of at all times. Though they're the same kind of shooter, there still are plenty of differences and one isn't going to outright replace the other. It's similar to the DOTA vs LoL argument. Another thing to consider is Valve does not give a single fuck about CS:GO, while Riot on the other hands is going to be consistently updating the game and pushing out new content and addressing balance issues and concerns that pop up.

Instead of just whining about abilities when none of y'all have even tried the game, maybe y'all should ask yourselves why so many former CS:GO pros and players are transferring over to Valorant.

polo

Magister
I tried CS:GO, and something about it felt a little off. I'm thinking its something to do with the optimization or art style, because for some reason it never really felt as smooth as I would like it to be.

Instead of just whining about abilities when none of y'all have even tried the game, maybe y'all should ask yourselves why so many former CS:GO pros and players are transferring over to Valorant.

Its prob. optimization, source 1 is an old engine tbh.
Former being the keyword when u refer to the pros who went from csgo to valorant. Most of them couldn't keep up with Tier 1 CSGO competitive level so yeah, they went for the new stuff with lower level so they can shine again or at least make some good money.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Former being the keyword when u refer to the pros who went from csgo to valorant. Most of them couldn't keep up with Tier 1 CSGO competitive level so yeah, they went for the new stuff with lower level so they can shine again or at least make some good money.
Fair enough, but I think comparing skill caps is a silly metric. The reason I'm enjoying Valorant and actually playing it versus me bouncing off of CS:GO is because of how good of a job Riot did optimizing the game, making its systems easy and intuitive while also having a very high skill ceiling (just because Valorant doesn't as high of a ceiling as CS:GO doesn't mean it doesn't have a higher ceiling than literally any other FPS out there, except maybe Quake). The servers are fucking amazing. Even on the first day with everyone flooding the games release, I had 30-36 ping the entire time. It's mind blowing since my internet is far from amazing.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Yeah this same narrative pops up every time a new multiplayer shooter comes out

LOOK GUYS ALL THE PROS ARE SWITCHING TO IT

WarmheartedWarlikeGoitered-size_restricted.gif

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
I know the difference between TF2 and CSGO, retard.
Then why the fuck are you trying to cite Paladins as an example of games slapping MOBAshit on and just pumping out an inferior product? What, you've come to this determination with your sample size of one? A free to play cash-grab game that looked like absolute dogshit just from looking at gameplay videos?

Get the fuck out of my face, clearly you're the only retard here. "WhY sHoULd It Be AnY bEtTeR? ItS jUsT a CoPy", yeah because games taking inspiration from other great games are automatically going to be inferior. Not like we've had a bunch of RPGs or other games that prove this not to be the case.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Cartoony CS clone with moba elements, made by Tencent-owned studio and bundled with kernel-level anticheat?

:timetoburn:

Irata

Scholar
No matter what happens Valorant will likely come out okay since it is being backed by the CCP. However, I can't see it being a real threat to CSGO. Might hurt Overwatch though.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The first I read about this game was when I saw an article about it installing a 'Ring 0' rootkit in order to play. Because, like, anti-cheat and all that.

https://forum.waypoint.vice.com/t/valorants-anti-cheat-is-a-kernal-level-rootkit/26108

In Riots quest to make the most competitive shooter they have taken a firm stance that in order to properly combat cheaters they need to install a ring 0 Rootkit on your machine.

/dev/null: Anti-Cheat Kernel Driver - League of Legends 29
We’re protecting some of Riot’s upcoming games with new anti-cheat systems.

This seems to have flown under the radar of every news outlet so let’s talk about what this is and what this means for software and privacy in general.

This is plain and simple software that gives the softwares controller full remote access to your machine. Anything you do or have on it is visible to them the moment you boot up your computer. If they wish to poll what software you have installed or are running they can. If they want to send files back to their servers for analysis they can but the developers pinky promise they won’t. 96 According to some folks it also does not uninstall if you uninstall Valorant, you have to manually remove it.

If this does not scare you it really should.

1. Riot can harvest whatever data on you that they want
  2. Riot could be compelled by a government to use this as a backdoor into your computer
  3. It’s not a question of if it’s a question of when this gets breached what happens with a game that is put out by a company that claims to have the most installs internationally
  4. A game this large will set a precedent for not only video games going forward but for software in general
  5. If Riot is dissolved over night what happens to everyone who still has this installed on their system. I just uninstalled Radical Heights this month despite that game being shut down for a long time. If you do not actively remove this once support stops you’re on a timer to exploitation
  6. There is no clear warning to anyone installing this game that this is giving them God on your computer
Not sure what everyone else is planning but I’m hard passing on Valorant

Loads of stuff corroborating this if you search. I'm not a tinfoil hat brigade member, but this is enough to make me not want to give this a try.

Draconis

Liturgist
I've been playing it a bit, it's not too bad although for the most part it just makes me wish I was playing CSGO instead. Some things really need to be improved upon like for example the running accuracy is just too good right now, in CSGO you rarely get HSed from across the map when someone is run-strafing and when it do happens that guy should just go buy a lottery ticket instead, here it happens way too often. Some ultimates are too op and makes the game too one-sided. I'm sure Riot will improve the game over time but right now CSGO or even R6:S is a better 5v5 comp shooter.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Been the main shooter for my group of friends since its launch and I'm actually liking it. Haven't played CS intensely since source so I don't how it stacks up against. Anyway and to the contrary I like moba elements in shooters and I have a couple hundred hours in Overwatch but eventually got bored with it so this would work as a time burner for work days.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Game isnt awfull or anything but their spyware anticheat is really annoying.

It has really satisfying gunplay, meaty and fast. I almost prefer it to CSGO in that regard, the guns feel like they are packing power. Also everything is a bit more accurate than in CSGO while the time to kill is about the same.
The tradeoff for the satisfying guns is that there are less guns than in csgo. Very often I wish I had a very specific weapon for a round like the PP Bizon. You might say 99% of those fringe weapons were never used but the options was there.

The abilities work just like grenades in CSGO, they are abilties which you buy and consume. So luj1 concern is wrong here, its no moba shooter in the vein of Overwatch.
The exception is that every hero has a signature ability where he either gets 1 free use per turn or it is on a long (40 seconds) cooldown instead.
The abilities are of medium impact, and in fact those abilties which directly mimic CSGO grenades are the strongest atm. Most competetive heroes are those that have smoke grenades or flashbangs.
I miss being able to access every grenade on every character, but it is an interesting tradeoff to gaining more weird abilties. You can set tripwires, walls and traps which would be impossible when everyone had access to them.

I dont care much for artstyle, it is clean and easily readable. Thats enough for me.
Sound is superb, especially the weapons have a good bang. Music is not really my taste.

I would absolutely make it my second shooter next to CSGO which I play casually if it werent for two factors:
1. Only unranked and fast game. CSGO gains a lot from having a ton of queues like Flying Scout and Gungame for me.
2. Their anticheat is cancer. It needs to be always running to launch the game. You can disable it after closing the game easily from the hotbar, but when you launch the game you need to have their anticheat running since the boot, or you need to relaunch the game.
I dont think rito is collecting any data, even if they belong to the Chinese now, that would be a legal death sentence and with a game this big you cant hide mass data gathering forever. But I dont want any other systems on autostart except the absolutely required ones. I like my rig nice, clean and fast and tons of autostart software is the fastest way to slow your PC to a crawl.

Still for me it is already the second best shooter on the market. Now if they would only row back on that Vanguard bullshit, people cheating in games is always talked about but its such an extremely low % of games it affects. Most of the time people cry cheater they have just been killed by someone who is better than them. I get called cheater constantly in all kinds of games and I am merely mediocre at them. Sometimes the matchmaking just spergs out, you steamroll a few noobs and they cry wolf.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Thac0 did a great job of explaining it. I do think running accuracy could be toned down a little, but other than that, it's great.
Itschon: Fallout 1-2 are shit games because they have ugly brown artstyle
Also Itschon: plays Valorant
Fallout is an RPG where the art style directly contributes to your the atmosphere and your enjoyment of the game. Valorant is a shooter where accuracy is hyper important, so I really don't give a fuck what the art style is as long as it's not ugly and it facilitates my ability to aim and understand what's happening on my screen. As if CS:GO's art is anything special lmao. Pretend you did something though.
Well, using the power of the internet and two of my five senses, I have determined that the game looks and sounds stupid, and from what I know of video games (because I have played video games before), I can tell that it's just a waste of time.

Eat shit, retard. Eat at least ten different shits before you form an opinion that shit is bad. Like, duh!
Well, using the power of the internet and one of my six senses, I have determined you're a colossal faggot. I can tell that you must have an extra chromosome too.

Get help, retard. Eat at least ten different pills before you decide to post on the Codex again.

I was hoping it would dethrone cs, but alas it's mediocre on all counts.

- Spraying is dogshit
- Abilities are whack (wall, heals, aoe slow and resurrection all in one character in a fucking cs-clone lul). If there were no ults I could sorta-maybe get over the regular skills, since they fit into the same utility niche as nades (though some of them are much more annoying).
- Maps are terrible - every single one of them is a corridor city, only on some the bomb site can have 53 entry points and on others just one.
- You get aimpunched regardless of armor
- You get slowed really badly after being hit
- Artstyle is bland af (and that's coming from a lifetime cs player), most guns look the same
- etc.

It's like a half-baked OW/CSGO crossover that borrows a lot of good things from both games and makes it all worse somehow. Above all else I blame shitty shooting mechanics, every round people just trade constantly, there are no heroics, no miraculous site takes - just trades and taps, taps and trades, it gets old really fast.

abija

Prophet
Bunch of people talking that clearly haven't played the game.
I did, game makes no sense. The CS:GO gunplay and those abilities do not fit well. Worse part, but maybe that changed since 2-3 months ago, somehow even though they copied cs:go gunplay it felt like shit.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Well, I like it, so I guess I'm just one of the lowest common denominator that this game is meant to appeal too. This must be how normies feel when they can enjoy shit RPGs like Skyrim or The Last of Us.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron

A pretty sick montage some guy made of his crazier plays on one of the agents. Her little C4 looking packs allow you to boost over the map if you bunny hop into them and time it right.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Willingly installing chinkshit spyware on your machine lmao
Couldn't be me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom