Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Valve's unusual corporate structure causes its problems, report suggests

lycanwarrior

Scholar

The Dopamine Cleric

Prospernaut
Shitposter
Without watching or reading I can summize

"As a minority, I can make Valve alot more money by appealing to a more diverse demographic, so they should hire me because I'm not a white male."

newtmonkey

Arcane
An article written by a white guy, working for a publisher with just a single non-white (Asian of course) on their Board of Directors, talking about a Youtube channel run by three white people, complaining that another company is not diverse enough lol.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
"Another effect was to reinforce Valve's lack of diversity. More than one interviewee highlighted that, even compared to the rest of the videogame industry, Valve is an extremely white and male company. While at other studios a diverse-hiring initiative would come from management, at Valve it had to come from the employees themselves."

lol. This thing the employees, who do all the work, don't want should be forced on them by a bunch of managers who don't know anything and don't do anything.

"Ignoring Newell's unpopular take on The Sopranos, it seems like this was one occasion when the company's remaining founder had the last word. "I disagreed with his free speech absolutist stance," an interview subject said, "but also that our team was railroaded into adopting the stance as well. It really left a sour taste in my mouth."

Comments like this really do make it seem like Gabe is the only thing standing in the way of Valve becoming yet another pozzed out West-coast censorship happy company. On the other hand maybe most of the employees and the board of directors all feel the same way, and the people who agree to do these interviews are the outliers. Downside is that the SJW types are the ones who seek out administrative, rule-making positions so who knows what will happen when Gabe retires.

That said the stack ranking bit in particular does seem to explain why Valve makes so few games or anything of substance now in favor of pushing out 17 UI redesigns a month and all sorts of ancillary features. I assume starting a big long-term project and failing or taking too much time is seen as too risky when you could just redesign the storefront again or implement a new feature like allowing users to sort their emoticons by different colors.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Let's see what other great videos this trustworthy channel has. Just 3 the previous videos before that one.

Ukraine crap because Current Thing

Tranny commie

And another Valve video because these degenerates hate Valve for obvious reasons.

Fargus

Arcane
Better yet: fire every useless landwhale and diversity hire that pretends to work there while doing close to nothing. And start making games. Again.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Valve's unusual corporate structure causes its problems, report suggests
Yes, but not for the reasons stated. It causes problems, because there's no pyramid, and ultimately the aristocracy of seniors each have a good idea, recruit code monkeys for it, move chairs and desks, and start prototyping. At some point they either recruit other seniors, or get bored and quit. And after recruiting other seniors, and a big team is formed, and they develop something reasonable, they might decide the market isn't right for it, and quit. Or maybe they get a new idea, and abandon the old one to pursue a new one.
No start date, no end date, no promise to deliver a product when the work is done. Valve works like you pursue your hobby. Valve seniors develop games like you go to the gym. This year for sure! I'm starting tomorrow!

As much as we hate it when some corpo suit pushes out an unfinished game, because he has to show something for the December report, the opposite is a problem too. When there's nobody to push something to completion, and people stop working the moment they get bored of the project. Valve is too anarchical.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
These people really are like locusts. They migrate and destroy the productive crop and then fuck off somewhere else to do the same thing again.

Falksi

Arcane
I wonder what happens when those complaining about lack of diversity lose their jobs to make room for ethnic minorities instead?

Dadd

Learned
These "X successful thing has a Y problem. Here's why" videos from media studies idiots is one of the worst Youtube trends of all time

Codex Year of the Donut
Even well-intentioned employers have an unconscious bias toward hiring people like themselves, and a study of symphony orchestras that switched to blind auditions (opens in new tab) showed that simply removing the jury's knowledge of each musician's sex dramatically increased the number of women who were hired
fake
https://statmodeling.stat.columbia....ind-orchestra-auditions-really-benefit-women/

and the studies we have for tech field hiring(you know, the area where Valve lives?) have repeatedly show blind hiring hurts women. Nice cherry picking on top of some bullshit statistics.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06...improve-gender-equality-failing-study/8664888

sosmoflux

Educated
You will be forced to put pronouns on your Steam profile in your lifetime and that's a good thing

ultimanecat

Arcane
One day Gabe will pass on and you’ll wake up and anything with certain tags will be gone from the store and your library.

The anti-DRM absolutists will be right but not for the reasons they thought.

somerandomdude

Learned
Gabe is the only thing standing in the way of Valve becoming yet another pozzed out West-coast censorship happy company.
Steam moderators are woke. I made a steam account in 2011, and I never got moderated even once up until about 2016, and then I started getting comments moderated several times a week over total bullshit reasons. That persisted up until last year when I decided to close my steam account, which is something I considered doing for years. My only regret is not doing it sooner. My position is simply this: If you want to censor me on a platform you control, fine, but I'm not giving you any of my money.

whocares

Savant
I will not eat the bugs. I will not live in a pod. I will not use 2FA.

Last edited:
While concerns about shitty mods are always something to worry about, I don't know why you'd even think of using the forums unless if it's to discuss technical issues with games. That said, I think GOG's forums might be worse, full of stupid forum games and giveaways of shitty games while actual, technical questions go unanswered (which has happened to me). Due to its size, retardation is a given when dealing with Steam's forums.

lightbane

Arcane
There's no "might". GOG forums are much worse since they fired all of their normal staff and replaced them with lunatics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom