Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News "Vampire Bloodlines" trademarked by White Wolf Publishing

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
7drHiqr.gif

deuxhero

Arcane
Modern setting was one of Bloodline's strengths.

True.

Bloodlines 2 could start in the recent past (anything after the Great War) and progress to the modern day (which could be used to up the difficulty in upholding the masqurade now that the internet and cellphone cameras are a thing), but medieval is a poor choice.

The Great Deceiver

Trickster
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, but we already got that and its very unlikely that they'd manage to make better or as good game as Bloodlines was. On the other hand making better Redemption with some Bloodlines sensibilities sounds way more plausible.

I really wouldn't consider making a better Redemption an important consideration.

I agree, I guess because we can relate to a lot of things, you live in the same era as the game setting and thus you know what it is to go to a night club, piss of a goth I dont know.

Or just the simple fact its refreshing.

A bit of both, yes. It obviously makes it far easier for the writers to create believable, "full-blooded" characters and for designers to craft interesting and "organic" quests. Santa Monica is a pretty great example of this. To quote Starwars:

I think the point about solving things logically (going to the hospital to get morphine and so on) is something that always makes me want to have RPGs set in the real world, or semi-real world as in Bloodlines. I mean, you don't have to toss that logical thinking out just because it's fantasy (Arcanum had those bits where you go research old newspapers for example, loved that), but I believe those solutions would just suggest themselves easier to designers if they're working with "their own world" so to speak. I love that in Bloodlines, even though it's obviously fantasy and sort of "exaggerated reality" (though I've never been to LA so maybe it is indeed very realistic, heh), it's very easy to latch on to.

This is something used to a very good effect in Funcom's The Secret World, especially in investigation quests.

Modern setting puts us in the comfort zone, which is promptly shattered due to the "deployment" of Vampire The Masquerade's trappings. On top of that, modern day cRPGs are few and far between.

True.

Bloodlines 2 could start in the recent past (anything after the Great War) and progress to the modern day (which could be used to up the difficulty in upholding the masqurade now that the internet and cellphone cameras are a thing), but medieval is a poor choice.

Tackling the transitions that the vampire society goes through time does sound very tempting, I agree. But I'd rather have them focus on one particular timeline and get it absolutely right, nail the zeitgeist just like Bloodlines did.

Last edited:
A funny thing about Bloodlines being such a great game is that most veterans of the PnP Vampire Books and Novels don't regard it too highly for playing to the stereotypes and clichés.

Archibald

Arcane
Who gives a shit what they think?

As for going thru years... thats what Redemption did.

throwaway

Cipher
Can we have newbies be auto-tagged as edgy for a couple of months after registration? We get it, you're cool enough for the KKKodex.

Delterius

Arcane
A funny thing about Bloodlines being such a great game is that most veterans of the PnP Vampire Books and Novels don't regard it too highly for playing to the stereotypes and clichés.
That's actually fair criticism, though its also true that the superb voice acting and art allows you to buy into those same stereotypes and clichés. Plus, goth try hards aren't much of a cliché within the CRPG world.

catfood

AGAIN

Yeah but how many WOD games are out there anyway? Being such a niche setting it's no surprise that Obsidian was tempted to play it safe and not stray too far from the formula. Not to mention that the vast majority of the people who played Bloodlines never played a WOD PNP session or even heard about it in the first place. I know I didnt at that time.

NeoKino

RPGCodex Ninja
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Its unlikely VTM:B2 will be good, since VTM:B wasn't good to begin with.

Trying too hard to be :edgy:
It really wasn't,
-shitty real time gameplay system
-Incomplete
-Needs a fan Patch in order to be viably played
-Character building suck ass

Pros: Good lore, Ok story telling.

Other than that the game fails as an rpg, its one of those overrated games that are continuously parroted as the pinnacle of rpgs in only communities.

Besides I ain't a storyfag anyways.

Yeah but how many WOD games are out there anyway? Being such a niche setting it's no surprise that Obsidian was tempted to play it safe and not stray too far from the formula. Not to mention that the vast majority of the people who played Bloodlines never played a WOD PNP session or even heard about it in the first place. I know I didnt at that time.

I know, but then again, better to ask a VtM veteran. At the time, I was aware of the property and had read a few short story compilations which I liked quite a bit but my interest peaked after Bloodlines. Sadly, 90s was well over. It is somewhat disappointing that I've gone through my teen years without discovering VtM.

At any rate, the finesse with which Bloodlines captures the mood of the setting, the atmosphere, that is what I like about the game the most.

Edit: Forgot to point to catfood mistaking Obsidian for Troika, bolded.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Bustamonte

Unwanted
Shitposter
I would much rather they remake the first vampire game or give it a sequel or something. My biggest gripe aside from the obvious that a sequel makes no sense for bloodlines is that the modern era really sucks for a vampire campaign.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
The whole WoD setting would be amazing for CRPGs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom