Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Vampire Bloodlines trademarked by White Wolf

Delterius

Arcane
You fools. A true Bloodlines experience hangs on a technically broken experience.

Murk

Arcane
Who the fuck is Ashley Parker and why she reading the codex without registering to share her opinion on games and/or the fate of jcd's account?

Old One

Arcane
The way to do a new Bloodlines is as a prequel set in 1940s L.A. That would probably coincide with the first time the Anarchs threw the Camarilla out of L.A., and many of the same characters would be present at that time: Isaac, Gary, and Nines, for instance.

But nuParadox will disappoint with this, so it's all academic.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think everything would be cool, even medieval times. We'll see what comes out of this, let's hope it's not a mobile game or something equally vapid and disgusting.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No medieval please.
nono.gif

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
One of the best things about Bloodlines was the setting and how they were able to make the world come alive right down to those television broadcasts with the newscaster voiced by Brian, himself. Stuff like that would be lost in a medieval setting.

Prime Junta

No medieval stuff plz.

I could dig a dieselpunk/noir VtM though. PC is a P.I., Keane "Tomcat" Carson, on a tough case that gets darker and weirder than he could ever have imagined. The first act ends with his death and embrace. He rises as a fledgling, and learns that his case leads deep into the World of Darkness and has profound repercussions on Kindred society. His sire commands him to continue his investigation...

This structure would allow for something that was almost nonexistent in VtM:B -- the interplay of Kindred and mortal society. Since Keane's character and background will have been established in the first act there will be opportunities for him to interact with and/or observe characters and places important to his mortal life. VtM:B only had that one brief out-of-the-blue encounter in Hollywood; this could make it a whole theme.

How 'bout it, Paradox?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I could dig a dieselpunk/noir VtM though. PC is a P.I., Keane "Tomcat" Carson, on a tough case that gets darker and weirder than he could ever have imagined. The first act ends with his death and embrace. He rises as a fledgling, and learns that his case leads deep into the World of Darkness and has profound repercussions on Kindred society. His sire commands him to continue his investigation...
Ahhh, the good old premade, fully voiced PC. Because Witcher series and Fallout 4 proved that not being able to make your own character made "RPGs" better. My D1P just turned into DNP.*

*Do not play

Delterius

Arcane
Your clan is all characterization you need.

No, seriously. Did you see all the witty dialogue options in Bloodlines? Its like a window to Baldurs Gate.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Ahhh, the good old premade, fully voiced PC. Because Witcher series and Fallout 4 proved that not being able to make your own character made "RPGs" better. My D1P just turned into DNP.*

*Do not play

I'd say it depends on the execution and the type of storytelling you're going for. It's not like CRPG is a well defined genre with strict rules and guidelines, it nearly always incorporates elements from other genres and combines them with stats and character progression.

You're saying you couldn't imagine playing as Garrett in an RPG set in Thief universe for example? Or having the Nameless One as a set protagonist detracted from the experience of playing PST?

Prime Junta

*Do not play

Suit yourself. I like both kinds of PC's, blank-slate and pre-made. Each offers different possibilities. In a narrative-heavy game such as VtM:B though, I think pre-made is the better option on balance though (cf. PS:T).

Delterius

Arcane
I beg to differ. A blank slate protagonist is a stylistic choice that worked very well in a game like Bloodlines, that is more so about the characters and factions you meet than your own personality. Leave fully voiced protagonists to BioWare's soap operas, which is where it works best.

Prime Junta

I beg to differ. A blank slate protagonist is a stylistic choice that worked very well in a game like Bloodlines, that is more so about the characters and factions you meet than your own personality. Leave fully voiced protagonists to BioWare's soap operas, which is where it works best.

Funny how everyone should latch on the premade thing in that elevator pitch of mine, just because I gave the PC a name. It didn't even occur to me consider whether he's fully voiced or not.

No need to give the PC a background beyond what's established in Act 1 (he's a P:I working on a case). The choices he makes in it could determine the bloodline of his sire -- act all stealthy and investigative, Nosferatu; pull strings and browbeat people, Ventrue; delve into occult lore, Tremere; punch the shit out of people, Brujah, and so on.

So you could easily make that work with a protagonist that's almost as blank-slate as in VtM:B.

(Now that it came up though, I do think it a premade PC would work well for a VtM game. A Bloodlines successor doesn't have to copy the original in every way.)

ArchAngel

Arcane
No medieval stuff plz.

This structure would allow for something that was almost nonexistent in VtM:B -- the interplay of Kindred and mortal society. Since Keane's character and background will have been established in the first act there will be opportunities for him to interact with and/or observe characters and places important to his mortal life. VtM:B only had that one brief out-of-the-blue encounter in Hollywood; this could make it a whole theme.

How 'bout it, Paradox?
Starting as a mortal and becoming a vampire at end of Act 1 could be cool. On the other hand, nobody really liked being a non-Jedi at start of Kotor 1.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
VtM:R was cool in medieval times, soooo. It's not about the setting, it's about the themes which are explored and how they are explored. You can be a vampire in the Inquisition, how's that for moral dilemmas?

If all you have is the setting (alla Morrowind) then sure, being generic is not desirable, but if you have coherent, motivated and well-written characters and locales then you can get away with a medieval setting.

Delterius

Arcane
Of course, you can make anything interesting but it just so happens that the urban-gothic try hardy setting is a big part of the appeal for a lot of people. I'd say most of the fanbase, even.

MrMarbles

Cipher
A trademark have to be used within 5 years usually... but I don't think there is anything stopping Paradox from registering it again, aside the loss of lawyer's money. So a very good indication that they are heavily thinking of doing Bloodlines 2 (but that was fairly obvious by now...).

Re-registering doesn't come with big lawyer bills, your pet monkey could basically fill out the form. It's the initial application that can be difficult. Only expense is the fee, which I think is anywhere between 100 and 400 shekels for the US. International extensions are cheaper.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom