Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

Generic-Giant-Spider

Are Malkavians supposed to be necessarily schizophrenic or a variety of mental illnesses? I always thought it was the latter although schizophrenia is always most interesting.

This is my view, but most people who play Malkavians as ax-crazy pants-on-heads retards do it wrong. They also probably do that annoying as fuck "I'M SO RANDOM" shit excessively.

Malkavian madness is best manifested as something more subtle. Think of someone saying something that sounds very deep and profound but when you actually begin to think it through you realize it makes zero fucking sense and sounds insane.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are Malkavians supposed to be necessarily schizophrenic or a variety of mental illnesses? I always thought it was the latter although schizophrenia is always most interesting.
My only exposure to the game is from Bloodlines 1, but from that my impression was that it could really be anything. You had the Malk player character who was the goofball type; you had Tourette who was a split personality but otherwise normal (Jeanette was annoying and bitchy but not crazy); then there was Dr. Grout, the most rational character in the game, who heard voices. I don't think there's one "right" way to portray them, and I don't see any reason why there should be.

This is my view, but most people who play Malkavians as ax-crazy pants-on-heads retards do it wrong. They also probably do that annoying as fuck "I'M SO RANDOM" shit excessively.

Malkavian madness is best manifested as something more subtle. Think of someone saying something that sounds very deep and profound but when you actually begin to think it through you realize it makes zero fucking sense and sounds insane.

The tragic and infamous Dr. Gout recordings exemplify this well. He recognizes that his descent into the abyss is characterized by grandiose language and fatalistic compulsions. His keen intelligence is perverted into an obsessive meticulousness over irrational compulsions, manifest in the physical contortion of his mansion. Too bad you don't get to meet him. Those recordings were great.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
I was reading the codex VTM CYOA and the malk party member was rational at first glance, but once you really interacted with him it turned out that he believed that he was an actor in a film and that everything was scripted or staged. It was how the malk rationalized the existence of vampires and how his disciplines worked.

Generic-Giant-Spider

The tragic and infamous Dr. Gout recordings exemplify this well. He recognizes that his descent into the abyss is characterized by grandiose language and fatalistic compulsions. His keen intelligence is perverted into an obsessive meticulousness over irrational compulsions, manifest in the physical manifestation of his mansion. Too bad you don't get to meet him. Those recordings were great.

Yeah, Dr. Gout is probably my favorite interpretation of Malkavian madness. It's both "toned down" but ultimately disturbing and is much more of an effective demonstration of a Malkavian than if you played the lunatic card in a way more generic fashion.

Cael

Arcane
BROS I JUST UNINSTALLED VTMB1
NAH JK I NEVER INSTALLED THAT SHIT IN THE FIRST PLACE
giphy.gif

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
It's like this guy registered back in 2012, got a few posts in to get his account confirmed, and then slept for 8 years just to post this dumb one liner.

Semiurge

Cipher

The tragic and infamous Dr. Gout recordings exemplify this well. He recognizes that his descent into the abyss is characterized by grandiose language and fatalistic compulsions. His keen intelligence is perverted into an obsessive meticulousness over irrational compulsions, manifest in the physical contortion of his mansion. Too bad you don't get to meet him. Those recordings were great.

Decade after decade he bangs his head against a wall, expecting different results from the same methods of dissecting the "condition" that is vampirism. He's dilemma seems to be related to that of Beckett, he too is locked in a single perspective. I like that the irony of becoming like his subjects seems lost on him, the recordings
show how he begins to manifest the symptoms of schizophrenia to the letter, first the voices, then paranoia and isolation out of fear. Poetic justice for treating his victims in a particularly medieval fashion that was probably cruel even by the standards of his contemporaries.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
They started taking pre-orders in March, 2019. I thought, at that time, huh, they're gonna run pre-order for a year? And now it's going to be two years.

Lambach

Arcane
Well, on the bright side, at least now they've got time to incorporate the recent Soy Revolution in Seattle into the game. Can't wait to participate in the struggles of the city's gender non-conforming Kindred as they bravely fight against the oppressive regime of Prince Tonald Drump von-OrangeNazi. :dance:

I am willing to wait if it means the game won't ship with a bug that prevents me from completing it.

That bug is called "the writing team" this time around, and there's no patching it.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Oh no, VTMB:2 has been delayed?

:negative:

How will I ever cope....

... with the fact that it hasn't been cancelled yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom