Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

mondblut

Arcane
The main problem with Werewolf is that it feels and plays more like D&D for furries than a proper WoD game.

I thought that's a bonus? Minus the furries, that is. A proper WoD game is a cringy angstfest, the only good thing about WoD is lore/metaplot.

Duraframe300

Arcane
So what exactly was the reason everyone began shitting on this? I miss a few dozen pages and the attitudes have completely changed.
Changed? I've have kept up neither with the game nor this thread, but I think the attitudes were rather pessimistic from the get go?

Yes.

If the very first interview you give is downtalking the original and how "problematic* it is, while spouting that the new game will only punch *up* not *down* you can expect to get shit on.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The main problem with Werewolf is that it feels and plays more like D&D for furries than a proper WoD game.

I thought that's a bonus? Minus the furries, that is. A proper WoD game is a cringy angstfest, the only good thing about WoD is lore/metaplot.
I take the 90s angstfest 5 times out of 5 over a treehugger furry setting. In fact, it's angsty furries, even.

The Real Fanboy
- Sequence of bad trailers not showing game in good light
- Weak developer studio is not putting its best foot forward, if that's even possible
- Mitsoda fired, he had no idea why (debatable, but his writing I was looking forward to)
- Cluney, Creative Director, fired, very little info on this, don't care all that much
- Cara Ellison fired/left in September (again, don't care about writing other than Mitsoda)
- Paradox producer, Schlutter, who I think was in charge of Paradox's RPG division, also fired
- Game release date pushed out after weak and dismal official annoucement of staffing changes and bringing in new personnel to replace Cluney and finish the game
- Nothing new shown that makes old footage look good probably won't be for a while if at all
- Glance at resumes of current designers and devs do not inspire confidence (Anna Webster, Erik Waaaaaaaananen, and the idiot lead producer who wrote the last filler dev diary)

The positive spin people seem to place on the game is that "oh, the writing must be done" to be able to get rid of these people, so there's that, but no idea what that means for the DLC.

In short, aside from the other problems I listed earlier in this thread about Hardsuit itself, the game just seems to be in development hell. It happens, but rarely at this level of ineptitude all courtesy of the studios involved, so that's entertainment at least.

And there's no cool lewks.

Caim

Arcane
Changeling: The idea of changelings doesn't work very well, or at all, with the idea of hidden horror from world of darkness. Also, take this phrase from the white wolf wiki: "The Inanimae are wakening from their long slumber, the Twilight Trods are opening, and the Adhene are coming back". With this many made up words, is it a surprise that people who play this usually make snowflake characters?
Changeling: The Dreaming has in its 20th Anniversary Edition exactly 100 splats to choose from. This puts it way above any other game line of the Old World of Darkness, and in the New World of Darkness it is only surpassed by Vampire: The Requiem with its 120-ish splats. Changeling: The Lost has to make do with a "mere" 92.

Mass Effect, except you're a Void Engineer and it takes place in the Umbra.
Caim, no joke, this sounds cool.
Yeah, too bad it is too good an idea to make a game out of, and in Mage V we can look forward to the Technocracy being reverted to its cartoonishly evil 1e incarnation.

Last edited:

Semiurge

Cipher
There was some very, very minor optimism, which has been dispelled by the time of the gameplay demo, and possibly before that. It was the Thinblood focus for me.

Thinbloods indeed. Intuitively they always seemed like the one "clan" that new developers would latch on to - a thinblood is by its definition, an incomplete, flawed vampire. And yet they were made powerful in BL2's setting by their thinblood powers alone, which is just ridiculous. What's more, you could even become a "made vampire" somewhere early in the game when you diablerize a real vampire, but I'm sure your thinblood roots would still have some relevance in the story, their long term impact on the mechanics was already confirmed when we learned that you could keep your thinblood disciplines forever. I doubt they would've thrown away the chance to make your character whine about its downtrodden background, it's just too good an opportunity for some social commentary. "Here I am, get used to it. A former thinblood, so beautiful, brave and powerful but don't you ever imply that this was an easy path to take, you diabolical oppressors!"

Last edited:

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
There are no "diversity quotas" in the gaming industry. People are constantly drawn to this topic when the obvious explanation is right in front of your eyes. Paradox hired a noname multiplayer shooter studio make a sequel to one of the greatest RPGs. It didn't work out!

I am sure Bethseda (or Obsidian) would have done a better job, right? :roll:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So what exactly was the reason everyone began shitting on this? I miss a few dozen pages and the attitudes have completely changed.
Changed? I've have kept up neither with the game nor this thread, but I think the attitudes were rather pessimistic from the get go?

There was some very, very minor optimism, which has been dispelled by the time of the gameplay demo, and possibly before that. It was the Thinblood focus for me.
I was cautiously optimistic until Cara started giving interviews and then 'appeared' (may not have been true, just because Brian is a socially anxious shut-in that didn't want to deal with such things) to be getting more and more control over the game.

Gordian Nutt

Educated
Thinbloods indeed. Intuitively they always seemed like the one "clan" that new developers would latch on to - a thinblood is by its definition, an incomplete, flawed vampire. And yet they were made powerful in BL2's setting by their thinblood powers alone, which is just ridiculous. What's more, you could even become a "made vampire" somewhere early in the game when you diablerize a real vampire, but I'm sure your thinblood roots would still have some relevance in the story, their long term impact on the mechanics was already confirmed when we learned that you could keep your thinblood disciplines forever. I doubt they would've thrown away the chance to make your character whine about its downtrodden background, it's just too good an opportunity for some social commentary. "Here I am, get used to it. A former thinblood, so beautiful, brave and powerful but don't you ever imply that this was an easy path to take, you diabolical oppressors!"

Thinbloods just sound dumb and weak

I know they are part of the setting but it is such a dumb name and no one who wants to play a vampire wants to be a third rate one - inexperienced maybe, but not shitty

Semiurge

Cipher

I know they are part of the setting but it is such a dumb name and no one who wants to play a vampire wants to be a third rate one - inexperienced maybe, but not shitty

They are also one of the signs of Gehenna, just like how neo-liberals are a sign of cultural decline. A generation of pampered kids, softened and weakened by peaceable times and with way too much time devoted to first world problems. Thinbloods are lost, they don't know whether they're vampires or humans, just like how neo-liberals are lost and confused, in the mire of gender identity acronyms.

Last edited:

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
A proper WoD game is a cringy angstfest, the only good thing about WoD is lore/metaplot.

Disagree. IRL it was a beacon, likes moths to a flame, to pick up semi-broken and/or crazy chicks. Generally of very loose morals because vampires are like, sooooo sensual. Goth sloots, bad existentialist poets, etc. I did some of my best work cruising for artsy angsty grrls in the late 90s early 00s as a young lad in this manner. Good times!

Last edited:

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
I am sure Bethseda (or Obsidian) would have done a better job, right?

Bethesda and Obsidian would have actually shipped something, so a better job by Paradox's standards, yes. Outer Worlds>Bloodlines 2 by virtue of simply existing.

Most agrees """""""something"""""" will be shipped Roguey.
It isn't cancelled, and it won't after all the money poured in it.

Even the promo with the "vampire tinder" costed a lot, they won't cancel it. They will deliver a mega turd, so at least on par with Outer Worlds.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

They are also one of the signs of Gehenna, just like how neo-liberals are a sign of cultural decline. A generation of pampered kids, softened and weakened by peaceable times and with way too much time devoted to first world problems. Thinbloods are lost, they don't know whether they're vampires or humans, just like how neo-liberals are lost and confused, in the mire of gender identity acronyms.
Wasn't Gehenna confirmed to be nothing more than a hoax in the updated lore?

Cael

Arcane

It went from "world ending" to "periodically very uncomfortable for powerful vampires".

Semiurge

Cipher
Remember how Paradox trademarked "vamily"? lol

Lol, "Ve are Vamily"

3fb504e0c6731b37b3dc998a02b7aea6.jpg

Caim

Arcane
I stick to the idea that Gehenna is cyclical in nature, and it's rolling around again. The antediluvians date back to about 10000 years ago. But not only is Caine is a full order of magnitude older than that, pretty much the entire Fourth Generation is only 4000-5000 years old, with some not even being born before Christ did. So where did all of those vampires go?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom