Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

Wesp5

Arcane
Paradox hired a noname multiplayer shooter studio make a sequel to one of the greatest RPGs. It didn't work out!

It's not that simple in my opinion. The intro that I have seen and also the E3 demo looked good enough for a Bloodlines game, so there must have been problems elsewhere.

Can only repeat what I told you last month: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/vampire-the-masquerade-–-bloodlines-2-from-hardsuit-labs-and-paradox-interactive.126124/page-410#post-6911115

Yeah, I know what you mean. I had some similar issues with the Bloodlines prequel "Prelude I" when suddenly the others of our team vanished in real life and I had to connect all the existing bits to finish the thing! Still I don't see the reason why you need to fire people for that. In fact you probably need only one persistent guy putting everything together and this is what the new Ubisoft man was hired to do...

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I am so confident this game will be amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOTY 10/10!

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Didn't think much of Garrus either positively or negatively. Just kinda there.

Me too. I only ever took him in my party when something obviously involved him. I was surprised to read so much praise for the character.
Never took the guy with me. He's busy all the time, doing his calibrations; didn't want to distract him, the shit is important.

jackofshadows

Magister
Why? Watching things crash and burn is the best kind of entertainment we can still get in the clown world. Far better entertainment than this shitstain of a game could ever become.

tenor.gif
Watching what, exactly? We're sitting here and trying to match bits together. Not if this shit actually gets canceled it's all gets out right away but betting "how long it will take before any news appear" is not that much fun, honestly. And any possible hope for this to be anywhere decent died for good, so...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here's an official notice btw: https://www.pcgamer.com/bloodlines-2-senior-narrative-designer-cara-ellison-has-left-the-project/

Bloodlines 2 senior narrative designer Cara Ellison has left the project
Paradox Interactive confirmed that Ellison is no longer with developer Hardsuit Labs.

In August, Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 developer Hardsuit Labs announced that it had parted ways with both lead writer Brian Mitsoda and creative director Ka’ai Cluney. Reasons for their release weren't given, but Mitsoda suggested that it wasn't a happy split, saying that he was unaware of any problems, and that his firing came as a complete surprise.

Today, publisher Paradox Interactive confirmed that senior narrative designer Cara Ellison has also left the project, and is no longer with developer Hardsuit Labs. Rumors about Ellison's departure began to swirl after fans noticed that she'd removed references to the project from her Twitter profile; Armello developer League of Geeks also recently announced that Ellison had joined it as senior narrative designer.

"We can confirm that Cara Ellison has decided to leave Hardsuit Labs and is no longer working on Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2," a Paradox spokesperson said. "Cara brought fresh ideas to the project and many of her contributions will be present in the game launching next year. We thank her for her work on Bloodlines 2 and wish her the best in all of her future endeavors."

It's possible that the move reflects the natural evolution of Bloodlines 2 development—that the narrative design is finished and so Ellison's work was effectively done. But in August, Bloodlines was delayed into 2021, suggesting that work was definitely not nearing completion, and it's not hard to see the removal of Mitsoda and Cluney a week later as a sign of deeper trouble. The statement that "many of her contributions will be present in the game" is also interesting: I would expect that as senior narrative designer, the story it tells would be primarily her responsibility.

Paradox declined to comment on when Ellison left the project, or how it will impact the development of Bloodlines 2. I've emailed Ellison for more information, and will update if I receive a reply.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Didn't think much of Garrus either positively or negatively. Just kinda there.

Me too. I only ever took him in my party when something obviously involved him. I was surprised to read so much praise for the character.

It's an interesting character because his personality in the first game is directly influenced by the player's action. A bit like Leliana in DA Origins

Sarathiour

Cipher
Watching what, exactly? We're sitting here and trying to match bits together. Not if this shit actually gets canceled it's all gets out right away but betting "how long it will take before any news appear" is not that much fun, honestly. And any possible hope for this to be anywhere decent died for good, so...

Yeah, it's more like this :
Last time we saw the train, it was set ablaze with half of it's crew jumping overboard while the conductor was yelling "THERE IS NO BRAKE ON THAT DAMNED THING" just before going into a tunnel, where we lost visual and radio contact. Now and then, we can still hear muffled scream and the screeching of steel, but not much more. So we wait for the indubitable collision at the end of this tunnel.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I don't understand, was she actually the Senior Narrative Designer or was it some other role? Wikipedia doesn't have anything, just says she did some QA work for GTA and then worked as a journalist in the industry. Did she go from that right into a senior position for a major project? Or did someone scrub all that from wikipedia? It may be the case that they're largely finished with the writing and everyone is just filling in insidious details because the gaming community is filled with drama gremlins? With Covid a lot of workflows have gotten busted up so it wouldn't really surprise me that the content is written out, but putting it in the game has gotten stalled out a few months cause of the pandemic; end result would be the writing team finishing way ahead of the curve and sitting around. (Trying to look with rose-colored glasses here.)

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

THere's a terrifying amount of fan fiction about him. Too many undersexed people in the world who want to fuck a lizard because he seems damaged and they want to fix him.

mondblut

Arcane
Why? Watching things crash and burn is the best kind of entertainment we can still get in the clown world. Far better entertainment than this shitstain of a game could ever become.

tenor.gif
Watching what, exactly?

Watching it released and blowing out Underworld Ascendant in the "ha-ha, they actually had the chutzpa to put it on shelves" category.

Give us another Dai-Katana to taunt for years to come.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I don't understand, was she actually the Senior Narrative Designer or was it some other role? Wikipedia doesn't have anything, just says she did some QA work for GTA and then worked as a journalist in the industry. Did she go from that right into a senior position for a major project? Or did someone scrub all that from wikipedia? It may be the case that they're largely finished with the writing and everyone is just filling in insidious details because the gaming community is filled with drama gremlins? With Covid a lot of workflows have gotten busted up so it wouldn't really surprise me that the content is written out, but putting it in the game has gotten stalled out a few months cause of the pandemic; end result would be the writing team finishing way ahead of the curve and sitting around. (Trying to look with rose-colored glasses here.)
She was a narrative consultant on Dishonored 2, then brought in as a senior narrative designer on Bloodlines 2. That and her QA work are the extent of her professional experience as far as I know.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
So what exactly was the reason everyone began shitting on this? I miss a few dozen pages and the attitudes have completely changed.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
So what exactly was the reason everyone began shitting on this? I miss a few dozen pages and the attitudes have completely changed.
All the trailers look like shit, gunplay is going to be even worse than the first game, Mitsoda got fired

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
Wherein Cara confirms she quit/was fired from Bloodlines 2 back in September

And a Glass Door review from September, possibly written by Cara herself given the writing style and subject matter.

If that is Cara, quite the backstabbing of Mitsoda there, calling him and Cluney a couple of con men. Accurate, though, based on my assessment.

Women belong in the kitchen.

vota DC

Augur
There Is no game and 2000 delays for a game published by Paradox that consider a game completed even if It needs 50 DLC to be playable.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
we're probably already getting a crpg WoD game from hairbrained schemes. probably not vampire though but Wraith or Changeling

Well thank god for that at least! It will only be 97.5% as woke as Hardsuit since according to Harebrained Schemes in the year 3000 (Battletech) there are no more white men. Which, honestly, on our current shit tier timeline, is 100% accurate...

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Until recently the main reason I saw people hate on it was the culture war shit, along with it looking a little low-budget. Then they fired Mitsoda, who seems to have a godlike rep despite being involved in one good game, and they hired an Ubisoft guy to get it out the door. This has fueled typical cynicism.

Expectations are always the real name of the game though. I'm hoping this is Deus Ex Human Revolution level, not Deus Ex or Bloodlines 1 level, so I can hold on to a smidge of optimism.

Flying Dutchman

Learned

- Sequence of bad trailers not showing game in good light
- Weak developer studio is not putting its best foot forward, if that's even possible
- Mitsoda fired, he had no idea why (debatable, but his writing I was looking forward to)
- Cluney, Creative Director, fired, very little info on this, don't care all that much
- Cara Ellison fired/left in September (again, don't care about writing other than Mitsoda)
- Paradox producer, Schlutter, who I think was in charge of Paradox's RPG division, also fired
- Game release date pushed out after weak and dismal official annoucement of staffing changes and bringing in new personnel to replace Cluney and finish the game
- Nothing new shown that makes old footage look good probably won't be for a while if at all
- Glance at resumes of current designers and devs do not inspire confidence (Anna Webster, Erik Waaaaaaaananen, and the idiot lead producer who wrote the last filler dev diary)

The positive spin people seem to place on the game is that "oh, the writing must be done" to be able to get rid of these people, so there's that, but no idea what that means for the DLC.

In short, aside from the other problems I listed earlier in this thread about Hardsuit itself, the game just seems to be in development hell. It happens, but rarely at this level of ineptitude all courtesy of the studios involved, so that's entertainment at least.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom