Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

J1M

Arcane
Still wondering why Paradox is keeping it silent about what studio they chose to replace Hardsuit.

Said it was because the contracts aren't actually signed.

It's within the realm of possibility that the deal falls through and they just silently let it remain canceled (like Obsidian's Wheel of Time game that people kept bringing up for years even though it never existed beyond an announcement). :lol:
There's no chance a publisher would leave that much preorder money on the table. Something will be released.

J1M

Arcane
He says he was an officer without specifying his rank.
You know, you are right about the rank. But I believe the premise still holds.

The French Revolution created many social changes within the army. The title and birth right of nobility was forbidden by the National Assembly. The officer corps thoughout Europe primarily consisted of nobles or men who had attained noble stature or station (Elting, 1988). The reorganization of the officer corps within France had actually assisted up and coming officers such as Napoleon." - cite

Unfortunately, I can't find my main citation, but I'm by no means a history buff. Just remember reading that most generals and officers prior to the French Revolution were aristocracy, but post Revolution were made of rapidly promoted sergeants and their ilk. There are probably better read folks on here who could confirm or shred this.

Well, he never even claimed to be noble. His Sire was. Still, the story and the accent *could* have been false. Or maybe he just decided he *likes* the English accent. Weirder things have happened in WoD.
Or adopting that accent was part of maintaining the masquerade if he came west when America was young.

J1M

Arcane
I already explained my position that you can't get all the way there but you can certainly make a better attempt.
Then it should be easy to post one example you can't make that criticism about.
It is extremely easy. I googled "beautiful woman painting" and this was the first result.
66b0cb917a1721a753333f22a7c1d37d.jpg
Exactly, common techniques used by painters to convey supernatural beauty:
-nature submits to the subject, wildlife is docile and unafraid
-subject is surrounded by a halo of light or an aura
-more vibrant colors for the subject than the rest of the scene
-giving the subject proportions at the edges of natural limits
-subject is less tethered to the natural laws, such as gravity or time
-(current year only) lens flares

ddlrmmy-a4b36759-e3c6-4bbb-955a-a6a964dc44e0.jpg

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
I already explained my position that you can't get all the way there but you can certainly make a better attempt.
Then it should be easy to post one example you can't make that criticism about.
It is extremely easy. I googled "beautiful woman painting" and this was the first result.
66b0cb917a1721a753333f22a7c1d37d.jpg
Exactly, common techniques used by painters to convey supernatural beauty:
-subject is surrounded by a halo of light or an aura
-more vibrant colors for the subject than the rest of the scene
-giving the subject proportions at the edges of natural limits
-subject is less tethered to the natural laws, such as gravity or time
-(current year only) lens flares
-shows tiddies

DeepOcean

Arcane
It's impossible to be single and not flirt when you are around attractive women. I don't care what you are doing for a job. It's impossible. It's in a guys nature to flirt with attractive women.
Pepe Le Pew is being sent to jail for that, this is dangerous man, be careful around such dangerous creatures.

Semiurge

Cipher

They always screw this up by making the cute animal more interesting than the girl.

:updatedmytxt:

It's impossible to be single and not flirt when you are around attractive women. I don't care what you are doing for a job. It's impossible. It's in a guys nature to flirt with attractive women.

The question is how flirting is done, and unfortunately, who is doing it. It can be done right. If you keep staring at peoples' private areas in public, someone will eventually take notice. Don't let your eyes linger on them for too long. Interacting with attractive people however is a mire in which I can't dip my feet, you need someone not on the spectrum for detailed instructions.

Trithne

Erudite
So nothing about this trainwreck at the Paradox Insider? Probably still trying to figure out what they can even reuse before picking a studio to use.

Semiurge

Cipher
I don't know how this kind of gameplay is still acceptable. See a potential enemy perched in an inaccessible location. See air vent. Use auspex batvision super senses™. See a button prompt on screen about entering the air vent. Turn to mist next to the air vent - appear conveniently behind the potential enemy. Attack. Rinse and repeat.

Context dependent abilities are an insult to everyone. Either make their use completely free or don't include those abilities, either option is better than what we almost got.

And unlike that trailer, a game like this should include view bobbing. they should at least pretend it's not a popamole shooter clone.

Last edited:

Eli_Havelock

Learned
There's no chance a publisher would leave that much preorder money on the table. Something will be released.

Maybe, or maybe Paradox will realize that every distributor gives refunds for pre-orders before the release date, and that most have refunded by now. Even discussions on Steam have acknowledged this:

"Judging from the topics we can view and the ownership icons that remain, the deleted megathread circa the announcement would have seen the greatest mouse ethnic cleansing since An American Tail."

Wesp5

Arcane
I don't know how this kind of gameplay is still acceptable. See a potential enemy perched in an inaccessible location. See air vent. Use auspex batvision super senses™. See a button prompt on screen about entering the air vent. Turn to mist next to the air vent - appear conveniently behind the potential enemy. Attack. Rinse and repeat.

Deus Ex invented this system and has been using it with success in several game! The Werewolf game released lately did the very same thing only even more obvious...

Gargaune

Magister
Deus Ex invented this system and has been using it with success in several game! The Werewolf game released lately did the very same thing only even more obvious...
You're taking what he said out of context, Semiurge's point was that it's not like Deus Ex:
Context dependent abilities are an insult to everyone. Either make their use completely free or don't include those abilities, either option is better than what we almost got.
Deus Ex doesn't implement vent crawling through preset contextual prompts. You've got some (conveniently oversized, I admit) ventilation shafts and, yes, you can open grates and crawl in to get various places, but they're not push-button takedown setpieces. Whereas what you see in that video is a bespoke solution to an individual encounter.

Vatnik Wumao
Wesp5 is saying that Deus Ex implemented it in a far less obvious manner. In BL2, you press a button to mist through a vent. As Adam or JC, you crouch walk into the vent. The end result is the same, just that DX obscures it with some minor interaction. Or that wall breaking aug in DX.

Gargaune

Magister
It's not the same, though, Deus Ex's vents aren't one-stop transitions from point A to point B. They can be, and often are, an alternative path through a level segment, featuring multiple exits at various points, it's not just a case of obscuring function behind cosmetic interaction. Additionally, they also function as a place to hide in the scope of stealth gameplay. Vents in Deus Ex are a fully-developed dimension of level traversal, whereas Semiurge's Bloodlines 2 video shows a contextual ability leveraging a singular setpiece shortcut, strategically placed behind an encounter - press button, get awesome.

Maybe I misunderstood Wesp5's angle on it, but nonetheless, these are not similar mechanics in anything other than theme. This Bloodlines ability is similar to the wall-breaking mechanic in DX3/4, though, you're correct on that one.

Gastrick

Cipher
Wtf, I see my post has been randomly moved to one of the hidden boards. Fuck you mods.:fight:

Post a link! I want to see the post.
I don't have a link and didn't save the text, but it's looking like I should from now on. I quoted another user to say I agreed and to segway into my own post and that's the reason why my post was removed. Infinitron is worried about posts that might offend women and thus hides them. I'll restate the most important part of my post, that I predict in 5 years, paradox will either get bought out or go bankrupt.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
I don't have a link and didn't save the text, but it's looking like I should from now on. I quoted another user to say I agreed and to segway into my own post and that's the reason why my post was removed. Infinitron is worried about posts that might offend women and thus hides them. I'll restate the most important part of my post, that I predict in 5 years, paradox will either get bought out or go bankrupt.

Such drama over inclusion in with Koolz' heavy duty tinfoil action because you quoted one of those series of posts. I can't wait for the sequel.

Last edited:

Flying Dutchman

Learned
...Infinitron is worried about posts that might offend women and thus hides them.

Guess he could always delete the whole site to be safe? Censorship works, just ask China.

Considering what's said in normal posts, I'd love to know what the bar for "might offend" is.

Semiurge

Cipher
whereas Semiurge's Bloodlines 2 video shows a contextual ability leveraging a singular setpiece shortcut, strategically placed behind an encounter - press button, get awesome.

And if anyone's thinking that the trailer only featured demonstrations of the simplest kind about game mechanics, don't kid yourself. Awesome Button™ navigation and combat is what we would've gotten.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom