Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

Harthwain

Magister
Having limited ammo in modern-day US setting is unintuitive and lazy. Should modern vampire lack money for ammo, he'd just break in a weapon store and take everything he needs.
Games that aren't simulations are not supposed to be realistic though. It is all about what you aim for with the mechanics you put into place. You say having limited ammo for weapons is "lazy", but how would you do it? How would you make guns interesting in this setting? Or go even more wild and instead of talking just about guns, how would you design the whole game?

Wesp5

Arcane
Having limited ammo in modern-day US setting is unintuitive and lazy. Should modern vampire lack money for ammo, he'd just break in a weapon store and take everything he needs.

Maybe, but would he carry several hundreds of rounds around with him all the time? Otherwise I agree, ammo should be bought or gotten from reasonable places. Not lying around all over the place like in TOW or Cyberpunk or other modern games.

Demo.Graph

Liturgist
Games that aren't simulations are not supposed to be realistic though. It is all about what you aim for with the mechanics you put into place. You say having limited ammo for weapons is "lazy", but how would you do it? How would you make guns interesting in this setting? Or go even more wild and instead of talking just about guns, how would you design the whole game?
I believe, I've already described the way I think it should be done. "Steel for humans, silver for whatevers". Steel can be farmed indefinitely, silver should be limited by one-time quests or something.
If you want a specific example...
Let's say, that trash mobs could be killed with common ammo. Nothing bad about that.
Bosses can have stages made in a way that having unlimited common ammo won't help. First you shoot a werewolf in the head with common ammo. Then he switches into astral mode and loses his hitbox. He can jump out of it to bite you and then jump back into astal. You can bait him with your ass or throw some super special magical grenade created from unborn babies to kick him out of it. So you pay for a chance to shoot the werewolf either with those grenades or your ass. And you obviously can't buy that grenade in a gun shop. So you can farm all the dollars you want and carry with you all the ammo you want, it won't help you killing the boss.
Here, problem solved. I spent like 5 minutes making that up.

Harthwain

Magister
Here, problem solved. I spent like 5 minutes making that up.
To be honest I expected something a bit more creative than that from someone who called limited ammo "unintuitive and lazy" approach.

Also, you made it sound a lot like an MMO:
[...] Steel can be farmed indefinitely [...] Let's say, that trash mobs [...] Bosses [...]
Fuck farming and fuck trash mobs.

Can't handle the bacon

Btw the meta-plot of 5E has some seriously retarded changes like: the Sabbat are just...gone. Gone where? Well they just fucked off somewhere and aren't mentioned at all.
Excuse me?

They're actually mentioned sparsely throughout the book but there's no Sabbat segment to speak of and that faction's pretty much a thing of the past in 5E. It mentions them a couple of times and how their havens got all burnt out or some shit.
Was the Sabbat judged to be racist or something? What the actual fuck? The tension between the Camarilla and the Sabbat is one of the defining features of the VTM world.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
When you can fly, turn invisible, and make people's hearts explode by pointing your finger at them
Correct me if I am wrong, but there's still a Masquerade to uphold, yes? Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Maybe I'm crazy. I think of vampires as stealthy and smart creatures of the night, who use their powers when no one's watching. That is the kind of vampire game I want to play. Carrying around a machine gun wherever you go, and blowing away enemies in front of a dozen witnesses, although technically not revealing, does not strike me as a great way to uphold the Masquerade.

Vatnik Wumao
When you can fly, turn invisible, and make people's hearts explode by pointing your finger at them
Correct me if I am wrong, but there's still a Masquerade to uphold, yes? Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Maybe I'm crazy. I think of vampires as stealthy and smart creatures of the night, who use their powers when no one's watching. That is the kind of vampire game I want to play. Carrying around a machine gun wherever you go, and blowing away enemies in front of a dozen witnesses, although technically not revealing, does not strike me as a great way to uphold the Masquerade.

Its hiding your nature as a vampire. A mundane killing rather than something supernatural.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
That's basically my idea of vampires as well. Very powerful when they do things discreetly and from the shadows. With tha magic they have to, especially the Tremere, it's surprising they don't rule everything on Earth.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Sabbat could probably viably operate in places with poor law enforcement like South America or Iraq, where the general atmosphere of brutality could help hide the group's antics. If you really want to go woke, you could even write that brutality in the slums of kwa is both encouraged by the Sabbat and Sabbat sympathizers in the police and government. So the Sabbat would still be unknown to the general population, but people in the know would be fully aware of them. This way you have a ready made, fairly believable enemy that has the excuse to operate in plain sight.

Which is how Sabbat have operated so far. I think one big upset people tend to gloss over in V5, probably because it's amusing considering the inclinations of authors behind it, is the following: Camarilla has stopped being all-inclusive the way it used to be. In essence Sabbat could get away with leaving fuckups that don't directly endanger some plans of theirs, and hence some elder would have vested interest in clearing up for their own reasons, because they knew Camarilla would inadvertently have to step in for the greater good of ALL vampires they supposedly championed. Things don't really roll that way anymore with Camarilla becoming an ivory tower on full blackout, trusting only established contacts and using physical couriers for maximum discretion. And there's Anarchs and SE to consider as well.

There's almost an inkling of engaging ideas and setups in V5, but developer interest lies elsewhere.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Its hiding your nature as a vampire. A mundane killing rather than something supernatural.
So absolutely anything goes as long as you don't use your powers in public? I get that's how the Masquerade technically works, but to me that is a very dumb campaign and, again, not what I am looking for in a vampire story. As someone wise recently said, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
So absolutely anything goes as long as you don't use your powers in public? I get that's how the Masquerade works, but to me that is a very dumb campaign and, again, not what I am looking for in a vampire story. As someone wise recently said, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Mechanically the GM would still be able to punish the machine gun player. You engage in a shootout in the streets with choice use of fortitude so no one realizes you are a vampire. Fine. But the GM decrees that there are witnesses and the police have begun a mundane investigation against you. Police keep showing up harassing you and if you choose to kill them, the harassment just gets worse because they know something is up. So its a downward spiral if the player doesn't choose to wise up.

Wesp5

Arcane
That's basically my idea of vampires as well. Very powerful when they do things discreetly and from the shadows. With tha magic they have to, especially the Tremere, it's surprising they don't rule everything on Earth.

I agree. So now take a look at the Bloodhunt gameplay trailers :)!

Zombra

Patron
Mechanically the GM would still be able to punish the machine gun player. You engage in a shootout in the streets with choice use of fortitude so no one realizes you are a vampire. Fine. But the GM decrees that there are witnesses and the police have begun a mundane investigation against you. Police keep showing up harassing you and if you choose to kill them, the harassment just gets worse because they know something is up. So its a downward spiral if the player doesn't choose to wise up.
So you agree that the gun-toting vampire is basically a dumb idea, since vampires should operate from stealth and committing violence with witnesses ruins the campaign. Cheers, I'm glad we had this conversation.

Vatnik Wumao
So you agree that the gun-toting vampire is basically a dumb idea, since vampires should operate from stealth and committing violence with witnesses ruins the campaign. Cheers, I'm glad we had this conversation.

The player should have the freedom to try making the idea work if he wants to. And the GM should punish retardation. But abolishing guns in the campaign would merely reduce player choice.

Codex Year of the Donut
are we posting ideas for what we want to see in a vampire game?
vampire is a decoy protagonist that gets burned alive by a vampire hunter after you already did a bunch of sadistic shit and met a lot of the important vamps and you play as a vampire hunter for the rest of the game getting rid of the vampire filth
s420.gif

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
are we posting ideas for what we want to see in a vampire game?
vampire is a decoy protagonist that gets burned alive by a vampire hunter after you already did a bunch of sadistic shit and met a lot of the important vamps and you play as a vampire hunter for the rest of the game getting rid of the vampire filth
s420.gif
Man I'd play that

Zombra

Patron
The player should have the freedom to try making the idea work if he wants to. And the GM should punish retardation. But abolishing guns in the campaign would merely reduce player choice.
Cool. Well I want to play a vampire dentist who runs a modest little office and drains a bit of blood from every patient he puts under anesthetic. It's certainly a better idea than dude who runs around shooting people in the streets like a maniac. I expect the next vampire CRPG to have fully integrated systems for running a small business, office management and a dentistry minigame. Because I should have the freedom to make every idea work no matter how dumb it is.

Vatnik Wumao
Cool. Well I want to play a vampire dentist who runs a modest little office and drains a bit of blood from every patient he puts under anesthetic. It's certainly a better idea than dude who runs around shooting people in the streets like a maniac. I expect the next vampire CRPG to have fully integrated systems for running a small business, office management and a dentistry minigame. Because I should have the freedom to make every idea work no matter how dumb it is.

Why not? Kingmaker had rules for nation building. NWN2 had fort management. Even bioware games doubled as low grade dating simulators.

Zombra

Patron

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
you play as a vampire but instead of sucking necks to feed on blood you suck dicks to feed on semen to power your AIDS disciplines - you can also buy bags of cum from the bank or suck little rat dicks

remember, wherever we go, it is the poz of Patient Zero which makes our fate

oops sorry spoiled vtmb2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom