Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 - vaporware VTMB sequel from Paradox Interactive

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by vortex, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Wesp5 Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Wesp5
    I agree and this was basically the first thing I discussed with Florian when I still had contact to the BL2 team. Interesting enough right now Paradox has Bloodhunt in early alpha, which is a battle royale game with player most of the time using firearms! As for Bloodlines, I played a gun man myself so ammo and money was sparse as it should be. Compared to that e. g. in Cyberpunk I have half a million credits with lots of expensive implants and weapons bought and I basically always have all ammo types maxed out in a gun man run. It's fun, but no management needed at all!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    Was this posted here before? Rik Schaffer released 21 unused VTMB tracks.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Demo.Graph Learned

Demo.Graph
    Having limited ammo in modern-day US setting is unintuitive and lazy. Should modern vampire lack money for ammo, he'd just break in a weapon store and take everything he needs.
    If devs really wanted to gimp sharpshooters and force monsters of the night count bullet pennies, they could've introduced unobtanium ammunition ("silver bullets"). That could've dealt damage to bosses and special enemies and could only be bought via limited golden shekels from some super secret vendor. This way everyday dollars and ammo would've been plentiful but niche resource and resource hoarders as well as resource managers would've been equally satisfied.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Archibald Arcane

Archibald
    Who cares about equipment selection, its all about vampire powers.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Harthwain Cipher

Harthwain
    Games that aren't simulations are not supposed to be realistic though. It is all about what you aim for with the mechanics you put into place. You say having limited ammo for weapons is "lazy", but how would you do it? How would you make guns interesting in this setting? Or go even more wild and instead of talking just about guns, how would you design the whole game?

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Wesp5 Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Wesp5
    Maybe, but would he carry several hundreds of rounds around with him all the time? Otherwise I agree, ammo should be bought or gotten from reasonable places. Not lying around all over the place like in TOW or Cyberpunk or other modern games.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. Demo.Graph Learned

Demo.Graph
    I believe, I've already described the way I think it should be done. "Steel for humans, silver for whatevers". Steel can be farmed indefinitely, silver should be limited by one-time quests or something.
    If you want a specific example...
    Let's say, that trash mobs could be killed with common ammo. Nothing bad about that.
    Bosses can have stages made in a way that having unlimited common ammo won't help. First you shoot a werewolf in the head with common ammo. Then he switches into astral mode and loses his hitbox. He can jump out of it to bite you and then jump back into astal. You can bait him with your ass or throw some super special magical grenade created from unborn babies to kick him out of it. So you pay for a chance to shoot the werewolf either with those grenades or your ass. And you obviously can't buy that grenade in a gun shop. So you can farm all the dollars you want and carry with you all the ammo you want, it won't help you killing the boss.
    Here, problem solved. I spent like 5 minutes making that up.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Harthwain Cipher

Harthwain
    To be honest I expected something a bit more creative than that from someone who called limited ammo "unintuitive and lazy" approach.

Also, you made it sound a lot like an MMO:
    Fuck farming and fuck trash mobs.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Techno Union Obvious alt Patron Dumbfuck

Techno Union
    Was the Sabbat judged to be racist or something? What the actual fuck? The tension between the Camarilla and the Sabbat is one of the defining features of the VTM world.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    Maybe I'm crazy. I think of vampires as stealthy and smart creatures of the night, who use their powers when no one's watching. That is the kind of vampire game I want to play. Carrying around a machine gun wherever you go, and blowing away enemies in front of a dozen witnesses, although technically not revealing, does not strike me as a great way to uphold the Masquerade.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. daveyarsegallant Magister Wumao

daveyarsegallant
    Its hiding your nature as a vampire. A mundane killing rather than something supernatural.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Yes Yes x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. Child of Malkav Arbiter

Child of Malkav
    That's basically my idea of vampires as well. Very powerful when they do things discreetly and from the shadows. With tha magic they have to, especially the Tremere, it's surprising they don't rule everything on Earth.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    Which is how Sabbat have operated so far. I think one big upset people tend to gloss over in V5, probably because it's amusing considering the inclinations of authors behind it, is the following: Camarilla has stopped being all-inclusive the way it used to be. In essence Sabbat could get away with leaving fuckups that don't directly endanger some plans of theirs, and hence some elder would have vested interest in clearing up for their own reasons, because they knew Camarilla would inadvertently have to step in for the greater good of ALL vampires they supposedly championed. Things don't really roll that way anymore with Camarilla becoming an ivory tower on full blackout, trusting only established contacts and using physical couriers for maximum discretion. And there's Anarchs and SE to consider as well.

There's almost an inkling of engaging ideas and setups in V5, but developer interest lies elsewhere.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    So absolutely anything goes as long as you don't use your powers in public? I get that's how the Masquerade technically works, but to me that is a very dumb campaign and, again, not what I am looking for in a vampire story. As someone wise recently said, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Techno Union Obvious alt Patron Dumbfuck

Techno Union
    They would be, if the Technocratic Union wasn't already ruling everything on Earth. :smug:

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    welcome to america, is this your first time?

• Salute Salute x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. daveyarsegallant Magister Wumao

daveyarsegallant
    Mechanically the GM would still be able to punish the machine gun player. You engage in a shootout in the streets with choice use of fortitude so no one realizes you are a vampire. Fine. But the GM decrees that there are witnesses and the police have begun a mundane investigation against you. Police keep showing up harassing you and if you choose to kill them, the harassment just gets worse because they know something is up. So its a downward spiral if the player doesn't choose to wise up.

• Balanced Balanced x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Wesp5 Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Wesp5
    I agree. So now take a look at the Bloodhunt gameplay trailers :)!

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    So you agree that the gun-toting vampire is basically a dumb idea, since vampires should operate from stealth and committing violence with witnesses ruins the campaign. Cheers, I'm glad we had this conversation.

^ Top  
  20. daveyarsegallant Magister Wumao

daveyarsegallant
    The player should have the freedom to try making the idea work if he wants to. And the GM should punish retardation. But abolishing guns in the campaign would merely reduce player choice.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  21. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    are we posting ideas for what we want to see in a vampire game?
    vampire is a decoy protagonist that gets burned alive by a vampire hunter after you already did a bunch of sadistic shit and met a lot of the important vamps and you play as a vampire hunter for the rest of the game getting rid of the vampire filth [​IMG]

• Brofist x 3
    • incline x 3
    • nice x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Deus Vult x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Man I'd play that

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Cool. Well I want to play a vampire dentist who runs a modest little office and drains a bit of blood from every patient he puts under anesthetic. It's certainly a better idea than dude who runs around shooting people in the streets like a maniac. I expect the next vampire CRPG to have fully integrated systems for running a small business, office management and a dentistry minigame. Because I should have the freedom to make every idea work no matter how dumb it is.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 3
    • incline incline x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. daveyarsegallant Magister Wumao

daveyarsegallant
    Why not? Kingmaker had rules for nation building. NWN2 had fort management. Even bioware games doubled as low grade dating simulators.

^ Top  
  25. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Because putting every fucking stupid idea into a game is a sure way to make it garbage.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.