Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Because putting every fucking stupid idea into a game is a sure way to make it garbage.
Your idea is no different from being the baron of the whatever lands. Except now you're the dentist of Miami.
Cool. Well I expect you to complain just as loud when Bloodlines 2 does not have dentistry features as you did about lack of persnickety inventory management.
Can't be a dentist if you don't even have an inventory to put your tools in. Check and fucking mate.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Because putting every fucking stupid idea into a game is a sure way to make it garbage.
Your idea is no different from being the baron of the whatever lands. Except now you're the dentist of Miami.
Cool. Well I expect you to complain just as loud when Bloodlines 2 does not have dentistry features as you did about lack of persnickety inventory management.
Can't be a dentist if you don't even have an inventory to put your tools in. Check and fucking mate.

442475043dec51f5c5b1c352c6afdd37.gif

Wesp5

Arcane

That idea reminds me of the "Dresden Files", where Dresden's vampire brother works as a hair stylist feeding from the emotions of his female customers. Whether this would be any fun as a computer game is another matter :)!

Can't handle the bacon

are we posting ideas for what we want to see in a vampire game?
vampire is a decoy protagonist that gets burned alive by a vampire hunter after you already did a bunch of sadistic shit and met a lot of the important vamps and you play as a vampire hunter for the rest of the game getting rid of the vampire filth
s420.gif
Just make a Hunter: the Reckoning game instead. Actually, no, don't, because the main moral of the story is going to be that hUmAnS aRe ThE ReAl MonSteRs, and that we must be tolerant and open-minded towards "those who are DiFfEReNt". The main villain of the game will be the vaguely-Catholic and/or evangelical grandmaster of the vampire hunter's order, and the protagonist will team up with a possy of rainbow-colored multi-racial trisexual gender-gaseous vampires and witches to take him down for his bigotry and religious fanaticism. :clownworld:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
The player should have the freedom to try making the idea work if he wants to. And the GM should punish retardation. But abolishing guns in the campaign would merely reduce player choice.
Cool. Well I want to play a vampire dentist who runs a modest little office and drains a bit of blood from every patient he puts under anesthetic. It's certainly a better idea than dude who runs around shooting people in the streets like a maniac. I expect the next vampire CRPG to have fully integrated systems for running a small business, office management and a dentistry minigame. Because I should have the freedom to make every idea work no matter how dumb it is.

All fine and dandy, right up until someone a hunter walks into your dental clinic with a gun. At this point, believe me, you *will* pull that sweet, sweet Colt Anaconda out and waste him. So as to avoid drawing unnecessary attention to yourself by making his blood boil.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
vampire is a decoy protagonist that gets burned alive by a vampire hunter after you already did a bunch of sadistic shit and met a lot of the important vamps and you play as a vampire hunter for the rest of the game getting rid of the vampire filth
s420.gif
Just make a Hunter: the Reckoning game instead. Actually, no, don't, because the main moral of the story is going to be that hUmAnS aRe ThE ReAl MonSteRs, and that we must be tolerant and open-minded towards "those who are DiFfEReNt". The main villain of the game is going to be the vaguely-Catholic grandmaster of the vampire hunter's order, and the protagonist will team up with a possy of rainbow-colored multi-racial trisexual gender-gaseous vampires thinbloods and witches to take him down for his bigotry and religious fanaticism. :clownworld:

Found a way to make it even worse.

Harthwain

Magister
Cool. Well I want to play a vampire dentist who runs a modest little office and drains a bit of blood from every patient he puts under anesthetic. It's certainly a better idea than dude who runs around shooting people in the streets like a maniac. I expect the next vampire CRPG to have fully integrated systems for running a small business, office management and a dentistry minigame. Because I should have the freedom to make every idea work no matter how dumb it is.
He's right about the general idea though. RPGs thrive on player's choice. The challenge in making a cRPG is how you implement player's choices within a system. It doesn't help there are plenty of clans to cover as it makes everything even more complex, because then you have more than just the base structure to consider.

Some ambitious indy developer should just create their own vampire IP that explores similar themes to VtM:B and avoid all of this stupid BS. There's a hole in the market for something like VtM:B, and I doubt Paradox will fill it anytime soon.

Can't handle the bacon

s420.gif
Just make a Hunter: the Reckoning game instead. Actually, no, don't, because the main moral of the story is going to be that hUmAnS aRe ThE ReAl MonSteRs, and that we must be tolerant and open-minded towards "those who are DiFfEReNt". The main villain of the game is going to be the vaguely-Catholic grandmaster of the vampire hunter's order, and the protagonist will team up with a possy of rainbow-colored multi-racial trisexual gender-gaseous vampires thinbloods and witches to take him down for his bigotry and religious fanaticism. :clownworld:

Found a way to make it even worse.
Ok hold on, I've got the perfect recipe.

The protagonist's immediate mentor will be a somewhat sympathetic White woman with "moderate" views who will try to reason with the "fanatical" old straight White male grandmaster of the order who wants to *gasp* wipe out all vampires and their human sympathizers (coz how can blood-sucking living corpses not have human sympathizers?), only for her to get cruelly and mercilessly murdered by him in the middle of the game for "treason" (fraternizing to some degree with vampires et al, for the greater good of course), thus setting him up as the real monster that plagues humanity. After he is brutally killed at the end of the game to the gleeful celebration of the rainbow-haired diversity brigade who high-five each other while dancing on his corpse, we see an epilogue where the Hunters' order is reformed as a bigotry-fighting organization that includes vampires, dhampyres, werewolves, catgirls, fairies, ghosts and demons as full members.

Also, the game will have character customization and multiple romance choices, but all of the promotional materials and author interviews will establish the protagonist canonically as a Black lesbian woman. And there will be a poorly-voiced autistic side-character with an obnoxious amount of screen time.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
umm dentists don't have inventories, they pick up random shit from the environment

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
RPGs thrive on player's choice.
Of course. The obvious point is that computer games, since they are finite, require design boundaries. Those boundaries should be dictated by what the game is and is not supposed to be. The devs here decided that the game was supposed to be about vampires who use vampire powers to do vampire things, and the player choice would revolve around what powers they selected and how to achieve their objectives using those powers, plus of course a lot of player choice in story decisions. They decided it doesn't make sense for a vampire to get attached to guns - they might pick one up and use it, the same way a human might pick up a handful of dirt and throw it in a guy's face during a fight. But what kind of human would carry handfuls of dirt in his pockets? Do we need an inventory system for dirt?

We agree that it IS POSSIBLE for a vampire to exist who likes guns a lot and enjoys comparing stats, collecting an arsenal and carefully managing ammunition, but I think we also agree that this is a weird edge case vampire who is kind of doing it wrong. So since a video game can't have literally everything, do we make an inventory system to cater to this doing it wrong vampire or not? What % of dev resources should be allocated to cater to this doing it wrong playstyle? How about instead we create a range of build choices for vampires who act like vampires?

Lastly, I know many of you are disappointed because you were looking forward to a game with lots of guns, gun stats, ammo management etc. I am delighted to inform you that a small indie studio recently released a game about shooting guns! It's an obscure title and I can't find the store page right now but if you search carefully I bet you can find it.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
but I think we also agree that this is a weird edge case vampire who is kind of doing it wrong
A shotgun to the face is a pretty good way to kill a vampire. Bloodlines even mentions this fact.

If you're a vampire and know the weaknesses of your kind it's not much of a stretch to assume you'd arm yourself with an shotgun with "dragon fire" rounds, or perhaps a large calibre battle rifle, or some other firearm that's good at shredding unarmed targets if you know trouble is coming your way.

Granted, if you're some vampire from a few centuries ago you're likely going to have trouble grasping the use of modern firearms, or see little point in using them, but a player character is going to be playing through the game at a power level where guns are likely to be a very good addition to his arsenal against opponents of a similar strength.

There's also the simple fact that it's much easier to maintain the Masquerade if you kill someone or something with a gun, than resorting to whatever vampire juju you've got - at least under enough circumstances for it to be a worthwhile investment to learn how to use guns and stock up on them and ammo.

One of the themes of VtM is maintaining the mindset of a human against becoming a complete monster, so saying something is vampire-like is just as much a reason not to do a thing as it is to do the same thing in the setting. There's even a humanity mechanic to reinforce this.

Codex Year of the Donut
Long guns would attract an incredible amount of unwanted attention once we go past video game bag of holding logic. People carrying rifles don't go unnoticed.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
That idea reminds me of the "Dresden Files", where Dresden's vampire brother works as a hair stylist feeding from the emotions of his female customers. Whether this would be any fun as a computer game is another matter :)!

It's fun in What We Do In the Shadows with the emotional vampire, but admittedly, that's not a game, just a damn funny series.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Zombra said:
I miss the Vampire Hunter mod for Half-Life. :cry:
I didn't even know one existed, you probably mean the multiplayer hunter vs vampires mod?
Yeah, it was called Vampire Slayer.

Pictured here you see typical deathmatchers running towards each other as fast as possible, jumping up and down etc. but this mod was amazing played with friends who really got into the stalking and psychological aspect. Some of the maps were like huge asylums and things - the vampires would find hiding spots and lie in wait for minutes on end ... overall a great experience.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Zombra said:
I miss the Vampire Hunter mod for Half-Life. :cry:
I didn't even know one existed, you probably mean the multiplayer hunter vs vampires mod?
Yeah, it was called Vampire Slayer.

Pictured here you see typical deathmatchers running towards each other as fast as possible, jumping up and down etc. but this mod was amazing played with friends who really got into the stalking and psychological aspect. Some of the maps were like huge asylums and things - the vampires would find hiding spots and lie in wait for minutes on end ... overall a great experience.

Oh the memories! We played that shit a lot on LAN parties. It was a really nice game to play at midnight.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Zombra is very upset that people want to play a vampire RPG in a way that he doesn't. :M

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Zombra is very upset that people want to play a vampire RPG in a way that he doesn't. :M
You had me going for a second :argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

In seriousness, there are less-obnoxious ways of discouraging players from frequent firearm use than the stupidity of having your character throw a gun away when out of bullets without your input e.g. more-nearly-realistic ammunition carrying capacity, more-nearly-realistic magazine reloading, no hammerspace for weapons and only being able to carry what you can conceal around normies so anything larger than a handgun would have to be a temporary weapon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom