Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

Codex Year of the Donut
Throwing a gun away when you're out of bullets is one of those unintentionally hilarious things that could only be designed by someone who has never encountered a gun in their life.
"Ah yes, I'm out of eggs, time to throw my stove away."

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In seriousness, there are less-obnoxious ways of discouraging players from frequent firearm use than the stupidity of having your character throw a gun away when out of bullets without your input e.g. more-nearly-realistic ammunition carrying capacity, more-nearly-realistic magazine reloading, no hammerspace for weapons and only being able to carry what you can conceal around normies so anything larger than a handgun would have to be a temporary weapon.
Sure, there are a thousand ways to build a mousetrap. But I honestly appreciated the attitude I alluded to with my parallel above: it's really like throwing a handful of dirt to them. "Must take care not to lose my precious gun" wouldn't enter their minds.

"Ah yes, I'm out of eggs, time to throw my stove away."
If you could materialize fully cooked food any time with a mild mental effort? Yes, a stove would be a piece of garbage.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sure, there are a thousand ways to build a mousetrap. But I honestly appreciated the attitude I alluded to with my parallel above: it's really like throwing a handful of dirt to them. "Must take care not to lose my precious gun" wouldn't enter their minds.

I wouldn't say every vampire would be so foolish or short-sighted as to throw away a tool that could be useful in the future just because it's not useful at the present moment.

Codex Year of the Donut
Game designers knowing absolutely nothing about firearms is a really big pet peeve of mine and it has only gotten worse as time has gone on. If you're going to design entire games primarily around using a tool that actually exists, you need to familiarize yourself with how it works and not some imaginary concept you have vaguely assembled mostly through watching movies, video games, and TV.
I'm not a fan of Sawyer, but I'll at least give him credit where it's due, he actually did this IIRC. And it's probably a reason why FNV had things like decent ammo selection.

Vatnik Wumao
I recall the pnp game has rules about carrying a gun unnoticed. You could only safely carry one long gun if you were wearing something that covered your entire body, like a trench coat. So if you wanted to nerf guns, just have one inventory slot for them and a limited space for ammo.

Semiurge

Cipher
All fine and dandy, right up until someone a hunter walks into your dental clinic with a gun. At this point, believe me, you *will* pull that sweet, sweet Colt Anaconda out and waste him. So as to avoid drawing unnecessary attention to yourself by making his blood boil.

"Uh uh. I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and would blow your head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question:

"Is it safe?" Well, is it, punk?"

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wouldn't say every vampire would be so foolish or short-sighted as to throw away a tool that could be useful in the future just because it's not useful at the present moment.
Again, you're talking about carrying handfuls of dirt in your pockets in case you want to throw it in someone's eyes. Or carrying a portable stove around in case you don't feel like materializing hot food with the power of your mind :)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Again, you're talking about carrying handfuls of dirt in your pockets in case you want to throw it in someone's eyes. Or carrying a portable stove around in case you don't feel like materializing hot food with the power of your mind

Bullets are far more effective at stopping a room full of people than dirt and there are situations where it would be better to use a gun than powers (low on blood or saving blood for something important in the near future, the target or targets you're after are a good distance away, too many witnesses or potential witnesses around).

Can't handle the bacon

Vampires can materialize a gun with infinite bullets any time with a mild mental effort?

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Having limited ammo in modern-day US setting is unintuitive and lazy. Should modern vampire lack money for ammo, he'd just break in a weapon store and take everything he needs.
If devs really wanted to gimp sharpshooters and force monsters of the night count bullet pennies, they could've introduced unobtanium ammunition ("silver bullets"). That could've dealt damage to bosses and special enemies and could only be bought via limited golden shekels from some super secret vendor. This way everyday dollars and ammo would've been plentiful but niche resource and resource hoarders as well as resource managers would've been equally satisfied.
You get hung up on realism of the situation but then propose a fix that would be likewise highly unrealistic. So every vampire is just constantly breaking into local gun stores to steal ammo? And these gun stores would just let this go on forever? Do you break into the same store over and over again? And in that case wouldn't there be a slight danger to violating the masquerade/being ventilated by the police/owner?

People think ammo grows on trees in America and you can just pick it by the bucket full, while meanwhile there is an actual ammo shortage going on, and has been going on for the last year or more, with ammo prices going way up. Which incidentally would be a nice, semi-realistic way to limit ammo in the game that would also add to the story and background flavor. Say that people are panicking over recent terrorism (which could really be caused by the sabbat), apocalyptic events, catastrophes etcetera and that there is a severe ammo shortage, with remaining stocks being sold at premiums.

The way that VTMB did it was really perfect anyway, buying ammo in pawn shops and shady gas stations, because it made enough sense for the game and also maintained and added to the squalid atmosphere.

Harthwain

Magister
We agree that it IS POSSIBLE for a vampire to exist who likes guns a lot and enjoys comparing stats, collecting an arsenal and carefully managing ammunition, but I think we also agree that this is a weird edge case vampire who is kind of doing it wrong. So since a video game can't have literally everything, do we make an inventory system to cater to this doing it wrong vampire or not? What % of dev resources should be allocated to cater to this doing it wrong playstyle? How about instead we create a range of build choices for vampires who act like vampires?
I don't entirely agree. A gun can be useful to a vampire when it comes to preserving the Masquerade, because it's more "natural" in this day and age for the people to die from bullets than it is for them to die by having their hearts ripped off. And - like someone else said - if you have to face a werewolf, then having silver bullets is something you REALLY want. Under such circumstances a gun can be very useful tool. Maybe not your first choice, but something that is worth having. Think of Hitman: your silenced pistol is your last resort. You use it as little as possible, because killing people means problems (you have to get rid of the bodies, for example). But it beats somebody sounding an alarm.

0wca

Learned
Btw the meta-plot of 5E has some seriously retarded changes like: the Sabbat are just...gone. Gone where? Well they just fucked off somewhere and aren't mentioned at all.
Excuse me?

They're actually mentioned sparsely throughout the book but there's no Sabbat segment to speak of and that faction's pretty much a thing of the past in 5E. It mentions them a couple of times and how their havens got all burnt out or some shit.
Was the Sabbat judged to be racist or something? What the actual fuck? The tension between the Camarilla and the Sabbat is one of the defining features of the VTM world.

Don't think that was the issue. They were probably too "wild" of a faction so these new pussy ST's couldn't figure out a way to fit them into their Twilight-like chronicles.

uuAsASf.png

Saw Cara tweeted this recently, thought you guys may find it interesting.
The narrative department was at the center all right... at the center of Brian's cock.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Again, you're talking about carrying handfuls of dirt in your pockets in case you want to throw it in someone's eyes. Or carrying a portable stove around in case you don't feel like materializing hot food with the power of your mind

Bullets are far more effective at stopping a room full of people than dirt and there are situations where it would be better to use a gun than powers (low on blood or saving blood for something important in the near future, the target or targets you're after are a good distance away, too many witnesses or potential witnesses around).

Truth be told, unlike the VtMB implementation, many Discipline powers do NOT require blood to function. But in the context of maintaining the Masquerade, guns do have their very, very obvious uses.

Vatnik Wumao
Wasn't the main character in vtmr a much lower generation than average?

Not really. The story started in medieval europe, and his generation is consistent with a fledgling born then. What's inconsistent is how he is treated in the modern day chapters. His generation would make him at the very least an elder.

You are probably getting mixed up with the protag from Bloodlines, who had a surprisingly low generation, around 8th to 9th.

Can't handle the bacon

Pretty sure the rulebooks for medieval VTM stated that the average generation of a neonate in the middle ages would be around 8 or 9.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I just want a really good VTMB dungeon crawler like VTMR

VTMR had its own issues. Other Cainites should exclusively be bosses, not simple trash mobs.
Yeah I know what you mean it was kinda weird tearing through 30 other vampires with my group of 3 vampires. VTMB kinda had the same problem but to a far lesser extent.

VTMB acknowledged how various Elders are freaked out by the PCs power growing and growing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom