Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

Caim

Arcane
In case anyone from Paradox is reading this, you could make everyone re-buy their Vampire books by releasing "Vampire: The 90s" as a setting. Not unlike how Dark Ages was handled. It would also be a face-saving way to roll-back a number of the misguided mechanical and plot changes in v5.

Looking forward to the v5 vs. v90 debates.
Vampire: the Requiem did the New Wave Requiem book, which is the Requiem in the 80s with everything that comes with that time.

Ravielsk

Magister
I've said this before but I think vampire works best as a period piece set in the 90s. The level of technology is too high now to plausibly maintain the masquerade.

Well, you would have to move the setting from the big cities to small villages and rural environments to keep the masquerade. It could work then but somehow I doubt that is something people want from the setting.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Hey hey, fellow vampire enjoyers. Did you know that Bobby Kotick has put the two good vampire games on sale over on GOG? That is GOG.com, ever heard of it? That's right, the first game is a whopping 50% off and that makes it cheap as fuck.

https://af.gog.com/game/vampire_the_masquerade_redemption?as=1649904300

If you ask me it is the better of the two since it was less buggy than Bloodlines. If you want to try to fit in with the cool kids here then Bloodlines is 20% off and the price is not too high for a buy.

https://af.gog.com/game/vampire_the_masquerade_bloodlines?as=1649904300

For a meager sum you too could jump into this discussion about the sharp toothed edgy bois.

Last edited by a moderator:

Delterius

Arcane
The level of technology is too high now to plausibly maintain the masquerade.

I haven't followed the lore much but isn't exactly this what happened in modern times?
IIRC, the US government (at least, possibly others) knows about vampires, but they maintain the masquerade just to keep people from panicking or something.
Yes. The World of Darkness mostly just got wider, with more factions of mortals being aware of monsters and playing into vampire politics. I do think that the Secret World did it better though. Many of the things it does sort of help me accept WoD as it is. To quote your Illuminati handler: 'Cover-ups are last century, nowadays what matters is overwhelming the human capacity to retain useless information. The truth always gets out. We make sure it does. But it is buried all the way down to page 2 of google search.' Of course hardcore cover ups still exist in that universe, and so does a certain human need not to think too deeply about the weirder or more terrifying aspects of their reality. One of my favorite parts of the game was piecing together how the United States government works in the Secret World, not as a monolithic entity but fractured and influenced most of all by the Illuminati and other secret societies as well. Point is, what Secret World did or implied didn't feel as claustrophobic as the 'Second Inquisition' plotline of WoD.

Too bad Secret World was murdered by its developer though. Had real promise as a setting.

Can't handle the bacon

I've said this before but I think vampire works best as a period piece set in the 90s. The level of technology is too high now to plausibly maintain the masquerade.
It's perfectly plausible once you realize that the Masquerade is maintained mostly by the Technocracy, unbeknownst to the vampires themselves.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
It's perfectly plausible once you realize that the Masquerade is maintained mostly by the Technocracy, unbeknownst to the vampires themselves.

This is not exactly the case. As far as I recall, the Technocracy considers vampires a "non-issue" and doesn't meddle with them precisely because they largely maintain their masquerade themselves.

Caim

Arcane
This is not exactly the case. As far as I recall, the Technocracy considers vampires a "non-issue" and doesn't meddle with them precisely because they largely maintain their masquerade themselves.
Mages don't bother with vampires because the last time they tried it it took the Reemerge successfully his in the ranks of the Hermetics for two centuries, then won the ensuing conflict and became one if the founding clans of the Camarilla. If they tried again they'd get their teeth kicked in again.

Can't handle the bacon

That may be stated somewhere in the rulebooks, but logically, the only reason any large group of supernaturals can still maintain the masquerade in current_year is because the secret world government uses advanced technology to maintain it for them. Depriving the masses of the knowledge of the existence of "reality deviants" is their modus operandi. AFAIR, the Technocratic Union has a subdivision called literally called "New World Order", which in turn has a program called Total Panopticism, whose job is to maintain overwatch, surveillance, and control over all of the world's media.

In the world of darkness of course, not in real life. No, that would be crazy to suggest. Nope.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wesp5

Arcane
I don't think the modern days would be much of a problem. Just have some influencers post that vampires are fake and made up by Bill Gates to get you chipped and enough people will believe it ;)!

copebot

Learned
Nah the argument to make it retro is that no one likes the contemporary aesthetic because it is unlikeable, given that it is intentionally ugly. The existence of technology does make many plot hooks unworkable, but it's not insurmountable. Another issue with setting things in the current day is that you have to include text and email speak, which tends to be inherently dull and sloppy.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

I spare you the details:

To all of you asking: I have no fucking idea.

I’m still catching up myself, as I’ve been out of the loop so long on social outlets, but here’s what I can say:

- To be clear, me and Brian Mitsoda don’t get along. This is because he is way too tall, and I hate his fingerless gloves. He probably hates me because I am short and I do not wear gloves that aren’t made from human skin.

- I suspect Brian was brought on to give more validity to the project’s success and perception (Rik puts it better by using the word “soul,” below). Brian was instrumental in the pitch.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Chris sure loves scorching earth.

To be fair, Chris seems to avoid dropping any direct dirt. Interesting that none of his work got used, not that it would have been anyway considering the virtue signalling over the accusations.

He seems as puzzled by the firing of Mitsoda as the rest of us.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom