Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

PlacidDragon

Educated
This might be neat if you were a fan of the licensed OST tracks for Bloodlines: Lacuna Coil redid their Comalies album which had the Swamped track as the ending credits song. Here's their reimagined version.

has there ever been a song remade by its original band that didn't suck compared to the original

Well, personally i quite liked their new version of "Tight Rope", very "punchy" compared to the original. This one, not so much.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
So what's the current news about thing thing (Bloodlines2)? Still "developed" in silence by the unknown studio? They are still trying to save face after fiasco with other developers? Or they cancelled it completely?

Self-Ejected

HereticGuy

Self-Ejected
I do not think there was ever an album that Lacuna Coil made that i disliked - i liked some more than others, but over the decades they're the only band that hasn't let me down. I was already a fan before playing VtMB, imagine my surprise when the game played Swamped during the credits roll :-P.
Listening to Christina Scabia is a joy, I am not a fan of their male vocalist though. Comalies was their peak in my opinion, and Shallow Life was the worst (I stopped listening them after that). What do you think about that album?

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Comalies was their peak in my opinion, and Shallow Life was the worst (I stopped listening them after that). What do you think about that album?

It was kinda ok, something i'd put on the background together with other stuff just to have some music :-P.

Their next album Dark Adrenaline was a big improvement IMO. I remember listening that one back in Autumn 2012 in the bus going to work almost every day for a while.

About their male vocalist, i actually liked Andrea's voice in the older songs but in more recent songs (like the one above or Layers of Time - which, don't get me wrong, is a song i really like) he has more of a generic "growl". Not that i dislike the whole "beauty and the beast" setup, it is just that i found Andrea's older voice more unique than what he currently does.

Häyhä

Arbiter
This might be neat if you were a fan of the licensed OST tracks for Bloodlines: Lacuna Coil redid their Comalies album which had the Swamped track as the ending credits song. Here's their reimagined version.

The original song is million times better, it doesn't have the shitty, retarded "growling" of the male singer. Remaking a song is retarded concept anyway, because it's done purely out of artistic bankruptcy of ideas and with the sole purpose of milking some more money from stupid people aka "fans".

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I can't say I ever liked Lacuna Coil, but it worked really well in the game despite me not caring for the band. The soundtrack is kind of weird because I don't think I've ever heard a single band on there outside of the game, and don't really care to, but it captures the vibe of goth rock at the time so well I don't think it matters. Its the sort of thing that they couldn't recapture today, since goth rock these days is deeply in bed with electronic music.

Self-Ejected

HereticGuy

Self-Ejected
Comalies was their peak in my opinion, and Shallow Life was the worst (I stopped listening them after that). What do you think about that album?

It was kinda ok, something i'd put on the background together with other stuff just to have some music :-P.

Their next album Dark Adrenaline was a big improvement IMO. I remember listening that one back in Autumn 2012 in the bus going to work almost every day for a while.

About their male vocalist, i actually liked Andrea's voice in the older songs but in more recent songs (like the one above or Layers of Time - which, don't get me wrong, is a song i really like) he has more of a generic "growl". Not that i dislike the whole "beauty and the beast" setup, it is just that i found Andrea's older voice more unique than what he currently does.
I have listened a few songs from Dark Adrenaline album (and "Layers of Time" song) since you recommend it. Yeah it's better than Shallow Life, but I realized that I'm not enjoying gothic / alternative metal as I used to be =)
If you like female lead metal bands and wanna check out, I can leave a link here : Crystal Viper - Bright Lights
(An old school heavy metal band with a hot chick lead, absolute perfection)

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I can't say I ever liked Lacuna Coil, but it worked really well in the game despite me not caring for the band. The soundtrack is kind of weird because I don't think I've ever heard a single band on there outside of the game, and don't really care to, but it captures the vibe of goth rock at the time so well I don't think it matters. Its the sort of thing that they couldn't recapture today, since goth rock these days is deeply in bed with electronic music.
Agreed, although I went and downloaded Chiasm's Isolated the first time I played Bloodlines.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So anyway, another bias-affirming job listing from The Chinese Room:

To be successful, you will have:​

• Must have a minimum of 5 years' game industry experience in a design focused role.
  • Two or more shipped titles on consoles or PC.
  • Experience of delivering features from initial designs, through prototype to ship.
  • Proven track record of designing character, combat or AI features in a 1st person or 3rd person AAA action game.
  • Strong understanding of Unreal Engine 4.
  • Experienced with blueprints and their implementation.
  • Excellent written and verbal communication skills.

It will be an advantage if you have:​

• Experience of Unreal Engine 5.
  • Experience designing melee or brawler combat in a 3rd or 1st person game.
  • Experience designing character abilities/spells.
  • Experience in gunplay systems and delivering weapons that are satisfying to shoot.
  • Experience designing AI behaviours for enemies.
With regard to gunplay one can hope they're abandoning Hardsuit's silly idea of the vampire pc just throwing guns away when they're out of bullets. :M

Vincente

Arbiter
The "gunplay, melee/brawl, spells" trifecta really does look like a recipe for a VtM game. If this isn't some original IP they're working on, it very well might be Bloodlines 2. Do they have any job positions for story writing?

Codex Year of the Donut
So anyway, another bias-affirming job listing from The Chinese Room:

To be successful, you will have:​

• Must have a minimum of 5 years' game industry experience in a design focused role.
  • Two or more shipped titles on consoles or PC.
  • Experience of delivering features from initial designs, through prototype to ship.
  • Proven track record of designing character, combat or AI features in a 1st person or 3rd person AAA action game.
  • Strong understanding of Unreal Engine 4.
  • Experienced with blueprints and their implementation.
  • Excellent written and verbal communication skills.

It will be an advantage if you have:​

• Experience of Unreal Engine 5.
  • Experience designing melee or brawler combat in a 3rd or 1st person game.
  • Experience designing character abilities/spells.
  • Experience in gunplay systems and delivering weapons that are satisfying to shoot.
  • Experience designing AI behaviours for enemies.
With regard to gunplay one can hope they're abandoning Hardsuit's silly idea of the vampire pc just throwing guns away when they're out of bullets. :M
What if they only have a track record for designing in 2nd person AAA action games?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This month's Chinese Room newsletter includes a spotlight on Arone Le Bray, the former Bioware narrative QA tester who's likely the principal writer on Bloodlines 2:

How did Arone start his career?
"Fell backwards into it! I have a BA in English from University of Alberta, which qualified me to think & talk about stories. So, naturally, I was able to find work in a small tea shop. I lucked into a position as a contractor QA Tester at BioWare, and soon wound up working with the Narrative Team. For 15 years! Then, I heard about an opportunity at TCR and… here I am!"
We're thrilled to have Arone as part of the team.

Some tips for getting into the industry, in Narrative Design, according to Arone?
"Look into what it is abt your favourite stories or characters that really works for you, & how some of those experiences are fundamentally tied to the fact you are playing a game. Just like movies are different from graphic novels or plays are different from television shows, the medium of videogames is its own beast and you’ll find that a lot of the best stories you love from gaming could ONLY have been possible through those experiences."

People that inspire Arone?
Ann LeMay, Patrick Weekes, Corinne Busche, Anthony Burch, Ashly Burch, Brenda Romero, Lukas Kristjanson, Tulay McNally and many others!
In his free time, outside of helping craft our next awesome titles, Arone reads sci-fi, goes on hikes with his partner Kristi (pictured!), likes to hang out with the awesome Marceline & Hap, watches shows like Taskmaster, Lower Decks, The Cleaner etc.

Re: videogames, favourites include: Star Ocean – Second Story, Final Fantasy (special shout-outs to 6, 7, and 12), Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross, Warframe, Borderlands series, Looter-shooters (Destiny, Division, etc.), Bastion and Hades (Supergiant Games – Good times…)...

Not a man of taste, but that's Bioware for you. Keep those expectations low. :cool:

This month's Chinese Room newsletter includes a spotlight on Arone Le Bray, the former Bioware narrative QA tester who's likely the principal writer on Bloodlines 2:

Some tips for getting into the industry, in Narrative Design, according to Arone?
"Look into what it is abt your favourite stories or characters that really works for you, & how some of those experiences are fundamentally tied to the fact you are playing a game. Just like movies are different from graphic novels or plays are different from television shows, the medium of videogames is its own beast and you’ll find that a lot of the best stories you love from gaming could ONLY have been possible through those experiences."

Not a man of taste, but that's Bioware for you. Keep those expectations low. :cool:

This man can’t even answer the question right. He was asked about how you can get into the industry (big mistake) and instead he serves up this nothing statement about how stories are designed for each of their mediums.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

"Fell backwards into it! I have a BA in English from University of Alberta, which qualified me to think & talk about stories. So, naturally, I was able to find work in a small tea shop. I lucked into a position as a contractor QA Tester at BioWare, and soon wound up working with the Narrative Team. For 15 years! Then, I heard about an opportunity at TCR and… here I am!"

Ann LeMay, Patrick Weekes, Corinne Busche, Anthony Burch, Ashly Burch, Brenda Romero, Lukas Kristjanson, Tulay McNally and many others!
In his free time, outside of helping craft our next awesome titles, Arone reads sci-fi, goes on hikes with his partner Kristi (pictured!), likes to hang out with the awesome Marceline & Hap, watches shows like Taskmaster, Lower Decks, The Cleaner etc.

Re: videogames, favourites include: Star Ocean – Second Story, Final Fantasy (special shout-outs to 6, 7, and 12), Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross, Warframe, Borderlands series, Looter-shooters (Destiny, Division, etc.), Bastion and Hades (Supergiant Games – Good times…)...

Not a man of taste is an understatement. Jesus. With inspirations like those...

(Although I have no beef with Lukas, mainly because he randomly answered my BG 1 writing-related questions back in the late 90s. Him going on to write Sera of all characters takes some of the shine off that, but oh well.)

Self-Ejected

HereticGuy

Self-Ejected

I have zero respects and expect nothing from a guy whose favorite games are Borderlands, Looter shooters and Final Fantasy 7. And Hades had some black "Greek" gods in it, if I remember right.

ErLpXksXMAA8Li6.jpg

(*Prince LaCroix and Velvet Veleour arguing; probably a scene from new Vampire game)

Wow, Borderlands, looter shooter stuff, by-the-number traditional JRPGs, mouse-benchmark-type action RPGs.
This man likes all the things I actively despise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom