Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

Semiurge

Cipher
Kinda shows the state of modern gaming that my default reaction to any old franchises being revived now is "Oh fuck"

Because of the great divide between the generations that made the original and the rehash. Modern developers and writers often just won't "get" the older work, and the ones who had been involved with them like our Brian, have changed irreversibly. Mellowed because of time. Bloodlines has an uncommercial, irreverent and anarchistic
vibe to it, like it never took itself too seriously. That same spirit just cannot be expected from even an AA game today, not to mention AAA like Cyberpunk. That one at least has poles working on it instead of american and swedish neo-liberals, which will guard it from some harm.

This is why when you watch Sopranos there's hidden motives and hidden agenda everywhere and nothing is "in your face".

The Wire goes even further.

That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die. :M

Bloodlines 2: The Thing That Should Not Be

Last edited:

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
This is why when you watch Sopranos there's hidden motives and hidden agenda everywhere and nothing is "in your face". That's why people love it and that's why it's quality writing.

uF9MNRt.png

Alex

Arcane
Wherein Cara confirms she quit/was fired from Bloodlines 2 back in September

I left in sept to work on other things

And a Glass Door review from September, possibly written by Cara herself given the writing style and subject matter.

I have been working at Hardsuit Labs full-time for less than a year

Pros

It’s a development studio you can work at in Seattle

Have fun events

Pizza!

If CEOs can’t understand your work, you’ll be able to finish it without constant questions and bad critiques

Diverse studio, progressive studio outside of pipelines, welcoming of LGBTQ even if not fully inclusive in game content

Cons

Read the recent news, it’s all confusing for us too but good for design and story. just took too long to get rid of bad actors

Poorly-trained old and new management, top to bottom, affects everything and difficult to get work done or tracked

Cheap on one hand, wasteful on the other

Can’t seem to have a studio meeting without announcing who’s gone this week

Cowardly and poor performance feedback or none at all until too late, creates paranoia about who's next

Hire developers and put no trust in them, especially game design

No idea how to make an RPG and it’s shown for the past few years

Game design needed a fresh restart, and senior designers hired need to be listened to

Other producers need to be trained and need to do actual work

Firings have made the news, and while necessary, could have been avoided through vetting when hiring

Paradox is half in, half out, but all trouble

Advice to Management

Trust design to figure it out it’s why you hired us

“Not as bad as it used to be” is NOT a good answer to issues

Get through this project and scatter to the winds, maybe start smaller studios that do shooter clones and shooter DLC – games you understand

Tell us when you’ll be in the office and when you’ll have the thing you promised actually done

Free the programmers from outsourcing prison or let them go to actual game studios where they can make cool stuff

Change your company motto from “we make great games” to “we’re still figuring it out bear with us”

While diversity is good, could be improved and listened to

If that is Cara, quite the backstabbing of Mitsoda there, calling him and Cluney a couple of con men. Accurate, though, based on my assessment.

I dunno who "Cara" is, but being disliked by SJWs is never a bad thing.

Black

Arcane
Wherein Cara confirms she quit/was fired from Bloodlines 2 back in September

If that is Cara, quite the backstabbing of Mitsoda there, calling him and Cluney a couple of con men. Accurate, though, based on my assessment.

I dunno who "Cara" is, but being disliked by SJWs is never a bad thing.
You're a fool, SJWs dislike each other all the time, devour each other all the time, for not being progressive enough or by pushing the wrong woke trend of the moment.
See: Rowling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hellraiser

Arcane
I haven't been this disappointment with the development of a sequel since Van Buren got axed. Mitsoda getting fired was pretty much another Van Buren moment for me. Maybe not the same order of magnitude and not exactly the same type of disappointment obviously, but this one is just emanating with either "its gonna be axed" or "its gonna be a depressing unfinished turd with signs of how it could have been great", either way resulting in not getting the sequel I hoped for.

Also which one of you wrote this in the PC Gamer article comments:

Thants5 hours ago • edited

This is amazing commitment to staying true to the feel of the original. They're even replicating the horrible development experience that left the game half-finished.

:4/5:

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

T.Ashpool

Self-Ejected
we're probably already getting a crpg WoD game from hairbrained schemes. probably not vampire though but Wraith or Changeling

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I noticed something here in her review.

Diversity in the place is good, but everything surrounding game development is bad. Makes you think
thinking.png
I'd say get woke go broke but people constantly keep telling me it just isn't true.
It's never the full story. Pretty much nothing goes belly-up just by getting woke.
I think it is safe to say by now that it is a symptom of things going very wrong at a top level with unqualified people making wrong decisions.
So if you see something getting woke, the going broke might indeed follow, but not necessarily due to wokeness.

Considering that Cara person's views and likely attempts at pushing agendas through the medium, can't say I'm too sad she isn't working on the game any more.
However, the constant firing of staff is indeed a very bad sign.

Who knows, maybe the thing will be cancelled and we'll be spared what would possibly (if you take the constant firing as a sign of a project going very wrong) have been a bad sequel.
Kinda like how fans dodged a bullet when System Shock 3 got canned.

League of Geeks, though... that's not a step up, though, pretty sad.
That depends, really.

If the new job lets you do what you enjoy and is just a much better fit for you, I'd say it is a definite improvement.
Easily worth less "prestige" and less money - as long as the money is still enough for your lifestyle.

If, of course, it is just a filler to not go broke then yeah, not a step up.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
The game will be clusterfuck of release.

I'm sure there's someone mad enough to dedicate his entire life to fix this game just like the first one.

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
I think it is safe to say by now that it is a symptom of things going very wrong at a top level with unqualified people making wrong decisions.

But that is a symptom of wokeness. How do you think those unqualified people got to the top level in the first place? Diversity quotas.

I think this is a chicken and the egg kind of problem. Either managers are unqualified because they were hired by woke criteria or they were unqualified which is why they started running things (including hiring) using woke criteria, thinking that is a good idea.

Anyway it is pretty clear that it is :majordecline:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are no "diversity quotas" in the gaming industry. People are constantly drawn to this topic when the obvious explanation is right in front of your eyes. Paradox hired a noname multiplayer shooter studio to make a sequel to one of the greatest RPGs. It didn't work out!

Last edited:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
There are no "diversity quotas" in the gaming industry.

True, I was referring more to the film industry in recent years. Even then, are you absolutely confident the entire gaming industry in general and Hardsuit in particular does not have such quotas? Honest question, inquiring minds need to know.

People are constantly drawn to this topic when the obvious explanation is right in front of your eyes. Paradox hired a noname multiplayer shooter studio make a sequel to one of the greatest RPGs. It didn't work out!

Still, that noname multiplayer shooter studio's hiring policy (ahem Cara ahem) was... extravagant to say the least.

mondblut

Arcane
Even then, are you absolutely confident the entire gaming industry in general and Hardsuit in particular does not have such quotas?

There are no "quotas". There is only a race to drive those pesky straight white men out from creative and decision-making positions where they could possibly hinder the pozzed propaganda disguised as entertainment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom