Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 - VTMB sequel from The Chinese Room - coming early 2025

Caim

Arcane
Is Dan Pinchbeck known for anything besides Dear Esther?

I remember looking him up a while back but that seems to be his only major work, besides Deep. It also gets really fuzzy who writes what when you're a creative director and overseeing others.
So I looked him up. Turns out the Dan Pinchbeck with a Wikipedia page is some new age weirdo, which has to sting for an auteur like him. But the other games he's involved with include:

- Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs. The lesser sequel to the influential Amnesia: Dark Descent.
- Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. A walking simulator for Jesus!
- So Let Us Melt. VR game for the Daydream, a headset you slide your phone into for fake VR.
- Little Orpheus. A 2D platformer whose gameplay is mostly "press right to receive story". Formerly an Apple exclusive.
- Still Wakes the Deep. The Thing, except it's on an oil rig and SCOTLAND FOREVER. Released last month, a tad short for the price but people seem to like it.

Aside from that last one it's not a very impressive resume.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

I remember looking him up a while back but that seems to be his only major work, besides Deep. It also gets really fuzzy who writes what when you're a creative director and overseeing others.
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture also won awards.
Sumo Digital paid 3 million dollars to own a name and two employees
This is the power of winning a BAFTA.

Wesp5

Arcane
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture also won awards.

And was boring as hell, if I remember correctly ;). The same goes for Dear Esther which probably also won awards, just because it was the first walking simulator ever...

La vie sexuelle

Learned

So I looked him up. Turns out the Dan Pinchbeck with a Wikipedia page is some new age weirdo, which has to sting for an auteur like him. But the other games he's involved with include:

- Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs. The lesser sequel to the influential Amnesia: Dark Descent.
- Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. A walking simulator for Jesus!
- So Let Us Melt. VR game for the Daydream, a headset you slide your phone into for fake VR.
- Little Orpheus. A 2D platformer whose gameplay is mostly "press right to receive story". Formerly an Apple exclusive.
- Still Wakes the Deep. The Thing, except it's on an oil rig and SCOTLAND FOREVER. Released last month, a tad short for the price but people seem to like it.

All Brits born between 1959-1965 are New Age Weirdos or Chavs.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I keep forgetting this exists. Saw the truncated thread title, expecting the new Wesp5 patch was out, and then this...
Bloodlines 2 will not be good until Wesp5 is done with it.

Modders can't save a bad game. They can only emphasize its advantages, and only if it is technically possible.

The first Vampir was simply unfinished, but had some grain of greatness and a fantastic engine. Vampire 2 seems unsalvageable unless they still have some tricks up their sleeve.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Modders can't save a bad game. They can only emphasize its advantages, and only if it is technically possible.
I agree. Also modders will only work on games that they really like and that deserve the attention ;)...
Look into my eyes. Are you positive you saw Nines Rodri... You like Bloodlines 2.

Semiurge

Cipher
I agree. Also modders will only work on games that they really like and that deserve the attention ;)...
Look into my eyes. Are you positive you saw Nines Rodri... You like Bloodlines 2.

Domination won't work on an elder malkavian such as Wesp.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Yes. Working on mods often takes months of work. Even making a stupid skin can take several hours. You have to like the game very much to even bother with it and love it to finish the mod.

I'm not sure the actual (foster) parents love Bloodlines 2.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I wonder how this will affect this game.

Paradox Interactive reports a 90% drop in operating profit
Either it won't affect anything due to game being very close to release or they'll rush the game out in a buggy state.
It's supposed to be out in a few months and the footage they've shown looks rough and incomplete. The latter is a given.

Paradox had to cancel their Life By You Sims-clone, writing down $20 million.

It is clear that we have made the wrong calls in
several projects, especially outside of our core, and
this must change. We have areas here where we need
to improve, for example in production, quality and
risk assessment. In 2021, we made major changes to
how we invest in riskier projects, which means that
we have not started new projects with the same
combination of high risk and high costs as Life by
You.

You don't say.

Their assets remain larger than their liabilities so I don't believe they're in any danger of going under, even if/when Bloodlines 2 flops.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I wonder how this will affect this game.

Paradox Interactive reports a 90% drop in operating profit
Either it won't affect anything due to game being very close to release or they'll rush the game out in a buggy state.
It's supposed to be out in a few months and the footage they've shown looks rough and incomplete. The latter is a given.

Paradox had to cancel their Life By You Sims-clone, writing down $20 million.

It is clear that we have made the wrong calls in
several projects, especially outside of our core, and
this must change. We have areas here where we need
to improve, for example in production, quality and
risk assessment. In 2021, we made major changes to
how we invest in riskier projects, which means that
we have not started new projects with the same
combination of high risk and high costs as Life by
You.

You don't say.

Their assets remain larger than their liabilities so I don't believe they're in any danger of going under, even if/when Bloodlines 2 flops.

Maybe they'll cancel Bloodlines 2 too. I wouldn't be surprised.

The President

Educated
You don't say.

I mean generally speaking if your assets are smaller than your liabilities you’re in real trouble as your equity literally has to be in the negative for that to be even possible. There aren’t many publicly traded boardrooms who are going to go for that.

I did a little bit of digging myself, the 90% in operating profit (meaning they didn’t even take a loss technically) is only for the current quarter. Paradox liabilities are quite low overall, at least on the balance sheets I’ve seen, they have more cash on hand and short term assets than all their liabilities combined. They actually have very good cash flow for an entity involved in gaming.

Long story short, despite the fuck ups and incompetence, they aren’t in trouble at all really. I know specialization is for insects but good lord have they been fucking shitty in literally everything that isn’t their niche. I mean Bloodlines 2 might be the last man standing of their foray into different genres and even that was very close to cancellation. At this point assuming the game even launches they’re confident they’ll make something as all the costs have been accounted already.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Long story short, despite the fuck ups and incompetence, they aren’t in trouble at all really. I know specialization is for insects but good lord have they been fucking shitty in literally everything that isn’t their niche. I mean Bloodlines 2 might be the last man standing of their foray into different genres and even that was very close to cancellation. At this point assuming the game even launches they’re confident they’ll make something as all the costs have been accounted already.
The power of DLC allowing them to absorb the tens of millions of losses they had with Hardsuit's Bloodlines (25 million,) Lamplighters League (30 million), and Life By You (20 million).

Though all this turmoil did kill their collaborations with Digimancy and Draw Distance, among others.

Holy fuck. I can't believe each of those games cost that much. I expected Bloodlines to be half that loss, and Lamplighters League looks like it could have been made for <1million. I never even heard of Life By You. Maybe they are actually a money laundering operation.

Holy fuck. I can't believe each of those games cost that much. I expected Bloodlines to be half that loss, and Lamplighters League looks like it could have been made for <1million. I never even heard of Life By You. Maybe they are actually a money laundering operation.
Feels like the whole industry is one, looking at the level of quality it has consistently been outputting recently.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I expected Bloodlines to be half that loss
Comparing Americans to Americans, Pillars of Eternity from SoCal cost 5-6 million (let's round up to 6) for a core team of about 30 devs for about 29 months ($206,896/month). The Bloodlines 2 team was confirmed to be around 60, so one would expect it to cost twice as much as PoE for the same amount of time which would ultimately be 25 million (rounding up) after five years. Paradox have experience with funding American devs thanks to Tyranny, I imagine they'd balk if Seattle really did cost that much more than Irvine. :P

Lamplighters League looks like it could have been made for <1million.

Graphics are way too detailed (actually a flaw, the style doesn't look right). This is a game that was made for roughly a million https://fionabrunerart.artstation.com/projects/GXv9OV

Add to that full-voice acting, a cinematic trailer, and around 40 or so devs working for 4-5 years (Battletech was released in early 2018).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom