Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness World of Darkness interactive fictions by Choice of Games

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

As if the controversial mobile-oriented interactive fictions and recent visual novels by Polish studio were not enough, Paradox also gave the license to the interactive fiction maker Choice of Games. Three games at that. And they're all VtM-based. https://www.choiceofgames.com/2020/04/coming-soon-three-vampire-the-masquerade-interactive-novels/

Coming Soon: Three Vampire: The Masquerade interactive novels!

In partnership with World of Darkness and Paradox Interactive, Choice of Games is proud to announce three upcoming games based on Vampire: The Masquerade and set in the World of Darkness shared story universe!

Vampire: The Masquerade — Night Road by Kyle Marquis
Vampire: The Masquerade — Out for Blood by Jim Dattilo
Vampire: The Masquerade — Parliament of Knives by Jeffrey Dean

In these games, your choices control the story. They’re entirely text-based—without graphics or sound effects—and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

Steam Wishlists Really Help

When we launch these games, they’ll be available on all of our usual platforms (iOS, Android, web, and Steam), but on Steam, each wishlist gives us extra visibility. So, even if you don’t normally purchase our games on Steam, we’d really appreciate it if you would login to Steam and click the “Wishlist” button there for all three of these games.

Vampire: The Masquerade — Night Road

by Kyle Marquis

The elders have entrusted you, an elite vampire courier, to deliver their secrets. Can you outrun the hunters, the other drivers, and the rising sun?

It’s a new Dark Age for the dead. When the Second Inquisition’s vampire hunters hacked phone lines and computer networks to expose and destroy vampires all over the world, the elders turned to undead couriers like you.

Race across the desert to deliver secrets, promises, and threats. Unleash the powers of your blood in ancient Disciplines to change form, vanish from sight, or dominate the minds of your enemies—or just run them off the road and keep driving.

Death is a hard road. You drive it every night. Coming soon, summer 2020. Wishlist it here.

Vampire: The Masquerade — Out for Blood

by Jim Dattilo

Gather your allies to hunt the vampires that terrorize your town! Study their ways and exploit their rivalries, or you’ll become a vampire yourself.

Take on the role of a vampire hunter to save your town from the influence of Chastain, a vampire more than a century old. When a group of young thin-blood vampires start a war with Chastain, will you choose sides, or hunt them all?

Gather your forces and sharpen your stake to take back the night! Coming in spring 2021. Wishlist it here.

Vampire: The Masquerade — Parliament of Knives

by Jeffrey Dean

Dominate undead politics through cunning and violence! Will a missing Prince give you the opening you need to seize power and take control of the city?

The undead Prince of Canada’s capital city has disappeared, and his second-in-command, Eden Corliss, wants you to find out why. You’ve been loyal to Corliss since she Embraced you and made you a vampire, but this could be your chance to take her place.

Will you defend your sire from the accusations flying, or join forces with her rivals to bring her down? One careless word could get you stabbed in the back—staked through the heart, and left to burn in the sun.

Who will you save when the knives are out? Coming in fall 2021. Wishlist it here.

Last edited by a moderator:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I've generally been disappointed with Choice of Games -- but only because they feel like they have so much promise. With one exception (Choice of the Deathless), they all seem to fall just short of that promise, and as a result I wind up grading them against themselves rather than viewing them as objectively good games. (Choice of the Deathless is amazing, though.) I think my main problem is that at some point you realize you're just falling forward through the game, and it makes it all feel a bit flat.

I'm surprised they haven't added some modest graphics and music here though -- it wouldn't be that expensive, they've got a great licenese.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
so there is coteries of new york, these two, and another coteries game coming w/ the rest of the clans. and that's on top of bloodlines 2 and the werewolf game...

paradox is really whoring out the IP

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Nighthawks, too, which isn't licensed but is the same idea.

Zyondyne

Learned
This is exactly the type of games you make when you realize you've got to make back your investment in an IP.
Text only games with quiz-like interface? Oh, boy, and I thought Coteries of New York was a stiff visual novel.

lightbane

Arcane
Considering how "progressive" 5th ed of Vamps is, combined with Choice of Games' inherent shittyness and progressiveness as well, it will make for an absolutely awful product. OR at least a half-good one with emphasis about how your character can be "anything-sexual".

zaper

Yes.
Developer
I think my main problem is that at some point you realize you're just falling forward through the game, and it makes it all feel a bit flat.
Might I persuade you to play The War for the West? It's not from the main label, but it is done in the same scripting language, and its the work of a madman in terms of branching, non-linearity, acknowledging player agency, and exploring different consequences.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This game revolves around vampires: amoral, blood-drinking, exploitative, manipulative, murdering, self-destructive vampires. It tells a story that is meant to be monstrous, but do not mistake it for an excuse to be a monster yourself.

:roll:

Huh, neat. I'll probably have to snag these eventually. The Choice Of and Hosted Games-games are kind of a guilty pleasure of mine. Almost all of them are disappointing but I usually have fun regardless since they're a weak point for me. It's not too dissimilar to how I used to buy paperback CYOA books for a dollar or two from used bookstores before all physical books became collector pieces and now the fucking things are expensive as hell. And even though these are inexpensive they release (And have released) so many that I realized I probably could live without blowing a few hundred a year on mostly shitty text adventures. Instead I'll spend that on AI Dungeon and have personalized shitty text adventures.
:M

I've generally been disappointed with Choice of Games -- but only because they feel like they have so much promise. With one exception (Choice of the Deathless), they all seem to fall just short of that promise, and as a result I wind up grading them against themselves rather than viewing them as objectively good games. (Choice of the Deathless is amazing, though.) I think my main problem is that at some point you realize you're just falling forward through the game, and it makes it all feel a bit flat.

I'm surprised they haven't added some modest graphics and music here though -- it wouldn't be that expensive, they've got a great licenese.
If you haven't played them, I'd recommend the Kevin Gold-authored ones. Choice of Deathless is a good 'un too, but all of Kevin Gold's do a pretty good job on C&C and actually having skill/stat checks you can fail. Alexandria's definitely shorter, but still does better C&C and skills than most others. His have been my favorites, though there are still quite a lot I haven't played, and I haven't been keeping up on recent games for the last year or three. Choice of Magics was an exception. They do have the obligatory romance options though, which I wouldn't mind if it didn't feel shoehorned into all of them. But I guess "Who you gonna fuck" is a relatively easy choice with minimal impact on a story so they can do it with minimal effort.
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/763/Kevin_Gold_Bundle/

lightbane

Arcane
If you haven't played them, I'd recommend the Kevin Gold-authored ones. Choice of Deathless is a good 'un too, but all of Kevin Gold's do a pretty good job on C&C and actually having skill/stat checks you can fail. Alexandria's definitely shorter, but still does better C&C and skills than most others. His have been my favorites, though there are still quite a lot I haven't played, and I haven't been keeping up on recent games for the last year or three. Choice of Magics was an exception. They do have the obligatory romance options though, which I wouldn't mind if it didn't feel shoehorned into all of them. But I guess "Who you gonna fuck" is a relatively easy choice with minimal impact on a story so they can do it with minimal effort.

I have to disagree. I remember his Choice of Robots games having cheap deaths hidden here and there for "gotcha!" moments, forcing you to start over even right at the end of the game if you don't choose the right answer from an arbitrary set that is too vague to be useful. Then there were the characters, most of them extremely bad for one reason or another, as well as SJW-friendly just because. The story itself was okay though, depending on which path you take, although the writer is clearly anti-transhumanist, or at the very least doesn't believe in the concept of uploading minds to a cybernetic, perfect body. On the plus side, it shows how romances/marriages with robots are extremely creepy and unproductive. There are also some forced situations in the story that happen no matter what you try.

I haven't played Choice of Magics, but several of the reviews mention that there are forced situations as well, which go against your character's previous actions in order to justify the ongoing narrative.

I recommend checking the stories of Endmaster , much better and they're for free.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
will suck dik fo free link pl0x
MGSgCEx.png

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
1985 BMW3 and a Bavarian M1869! game is good ^^
Z0ru6La.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom