Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vampyr - vampire action-RPG from Life Is Strange devs

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://vampyr-game.com

https://af.gog.com/game/vampyr?as=1649904300
http://www.videogamer.com/pc/vampyr/news/dontnod_reveals_horror_rpg_vampyr_2.html
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2015/01...ontnod-entertainment-set-after-world-war-one/

vampyr.jpg

Focus Home Interactive and DONTNOD Studio have just revealed a new game called Vampyr, which will be an RPG. There’s very few details but our reporter at the reveal event, good ol’ Stefan, has stated the game is set just after World War One and players will take on the role of a doctor. He returns home while the Spanish Flu is going around, and is bitten by one of his patients. That bite transforms this doctor into a vampire.

Apparently the Y in the name relates to the choices in the game where the doctor faces moral quandaries as his doctor side tries to heal, while his vampire nature wants to kill and feed. The tag line for Vampyr is ‘Take blood. Save a life’. Choices won’t be clear cut within the game either, but there are very few details on that. Vampyr also sees DONTNOD trying to start up a second development team within the studio so more projects can be worked on. Vampyr is still in early development so no release date has yet been confirmed.

DONTNOD are currently in the process of releasing Life Is Strange.

Last edited by a moderator:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Looks like Focus Home is churning out action RPGs as always.

They also announced a sequel to Mars: War Logs.

:neveraskedforthis:

Luckra

Educated
They'll need to step up their game on the gameplay department. Remember Me was an excellent visual piece with an interesting narrative but a very poor game.

majestik12

Arcane
I am surpised that with the popularity of Twilight, True Blood, etc. we don't have nearly as many vampire games as there are zombie ones. As for this project, it will probably suck. Remember Me is pretty terrible.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
The feeling I get with Spiders is that they're beating below their talent and that the contracted development time and budgets made available to them is seriously hurting their games' quality. Churning out every year some unmemorable akshun RPG with zero innovation or lasting appeal isn't a good business practice on the long run. Focus Home should take notice. Keep your client pool smaller, but double dev time.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I am surpised that with the popularity of Twilight, True Blood, etc. we don't have nearly as many vampire games as there are zombie ones. As for this project, it will probably suck. Remember Me is pretty terrible.

Perhaps, but a lot of blame for this has to go to Capcom, which insisted on dumbing down Dontnod's original concept (called Adrift) into this cheap beat'em up mess. No other publisher would pick it up, so it was making shit over starving.

Life is Strange looks kinda interesting, and the post-WW1 setting in Vampyr deserves some attention. Just don't expect a Troika/BIS/Obsidian-tier quality game.

Turjan

Arcane
I'm not sure, there's nothing there that excites me about this, which has more to do with the (admittedly short) track record of the studio than the idea and setting behind the game. Those ideas certainly sound interesting, but they failed to properly explore these ideas in their last game.

Oh, you can have "vampire" games that easily beat Rmember Me in the "terrible" department. Anyone remember this?

Even Remember Me doesn't manage to reach such levels of cringeworthy.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Apparently the Y in the name relates to the choices in the game where the doctor faces moral quandaries as his doctor side tries to heal, while his vampire nature wants to kill and feed.

So what does the letter Y have to do with this? Does it represent choice because the letter Y looks like it's a splitting pathway?

That is some really silly symbolism there.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There is a film made by Carl Theodor Dreyer titled "Vampyr Der Traum des Allan Grey". It is a very interesting look on vampires and worth watching. I do not know if someone from Focus watched it or their marketing department thought it would sound cool.

kris

Arcane

The ones that love Twillight isn't exactly core gamer demographics.

Tigranes

Arcane
Apparently the Y in the name relates to the choices in the game where the doctor faces moral quandaries as his doctor side tries to heal, while his vampire nature wants to kill and feed.

Y, doctor, y?!!

vonAchdorf

Arcane
So what does the letter Y have to do with this? Does it represent choice because the letter Y looks like it's a splitting pathway?

That is some really silly symbolism there.

The first story featuring a "vampire" in the modern sense was called "The Vampyre" by John Polidori (wrongly attributed to Byron and featuring a byron'esque protagonist), though I don't know if they knew that or just picked the Y because it looked cooler and muh C&C.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom