Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vampyr - vampire action-RPG from Life Is Strange devs

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Strange I remember installing it, playing for 2 minutes and deleted the game. Can't remember why. Is it that bad?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's some minor issues regarding the believability of the world - there's armed vampire hunters on the streets and many people live just a block away from Skals yet it seems regular people are completely oblivious to the fact that vampires exist.
The only way to "fix" this issue would have been to make an open world slog where you have to walk past 1000 nobodies for every hand crafted character, which would be bad enough on its own but also would mean throwing out the "who to bite" question which is the only good or innovative system in the game. No thanks.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

There's some minor issues regarding the believability of the world - there's armed vampire hunters on the streets and many people live just a block away from Skals yet it seems regular people are completely oblivious to the fact that vampires exist.
The only way to "fix" this issue would have been to make an open world slog where you have to walk past 1000 nobodies for every hand crafted character, which would be bad enough on its own but also would mean throwing out the "who to bite" question which is the only good or innovative system in the game. No thanks.
Or by not having 20 filler battles in every area and focusing on actual gameplay and meaningful combat encounters?

WhiteGuts

Arcane
I haven't dug through the thread but reading this last page gave me a much better understanding of the issues people have had with the game - it really baffled me why this game only had 72 on Metacritic. I know for a fact that I'm just a massive sucker for vampires and this game arguably beats VTMB in the social intrigue front which is my favorite part of the whole theme. I think this may be what causes me to be very lenient on the game - all my gripes so far are minor ones. I don't much mind the save system even.

Uh no. I like the social components in this game, but they clearly stand out as such, "components" of a larger system. I don't quite know to describe this, but VTMB organically integrated its social interactions into the world, so that you don't notice them at all. In that game, you talk to almost real people.

Puukko

Arcane
Fucking lmao. Lady Ashbury is salty about the Prestigious Vampire Club(tm) not accepting women as members, then proceeds to prove why that might be a good idea by not being able to contain her cocklust for Doctor Dick a week within meeting him despite being hundreds of years old. To top it off, her adopter daughter is a mixed suffragette whining about a difference between the voting ages of men and women when there's an epidemic and war going on with pestilence spreading vampires just around the corner. And I think the devs expect me to take this shit seriously.

Meanwhile, I've been playing the good doctor, curing districts of pneumonia, anemia, bronchitis and communism.

vota DC

Augur
Fucking lmao. Lady Ashbury is salty about the Prestigious Vampire Club(tm) not accepting women as members, then proceeds to prove why that might be a good idea by not being able to contain her cocklust for Doctor Dick a week within meeting him despite being hundreds of years old. To top it off, her adopter daughter is a mixed suffragette whining about a difference between the voting ages of men and women when there's an epidemic and war going on with pestilence spreading vampires just around the corner. And I think the devs expect me to take this shit seriously.

Meanwhile, I've been playing the good doctor, curing districts of pneumonia, anemia, bronchitis and communism.
Can you diablerize those people at least?

Delterius

Arcane
To top it off, her adopter daughter is a mixed suffragette whining about a difference between the voting ages of men and women when there's an epidemic and war going on with pestilence spreading vampires just around the corner.
didn't voting brackets expand precisely during ww1 in democratic countries because of the whole high nobility of yurop sending them younglings to die on trenches and oh my i almost missed tea time while talking about peasants die

Puukko

Arcane
Game beat, second to worst ending get. It didn't get any easier towards the end - the vampire hunter leader was the hardest boss fight by a decent margin and I went ahead and respecced for the final boss for higher blood gain and stronger instant heals. The districts kept slowly descending into hell but I just about managed to keep them above hostile level in the end. Overall I really enjoyed the game, definitely helped by my interest in the subject matter and the story was interesting to follow as well. Those bad injections of modern politics were a minor part so they didn't have that much of an impact on the quality of the social interactions overall. I think a modern action RPG was just what I needed, as a refresher.

Vatnik Wumao
The game's main weakness is that it puts Reid in the position of a vampire and nocturnal hunter but gives him a totally inappropriate personality. Reid by default is a bleeding heart but there's no way to do a pacifist run of this game. By the end you would have slaughtered thousands of vamp hunters but Reid still has a moral problem with drinking a random acquaintance dry. Go for a full bloodshed run and Reid becomes a screeching lunatic in cutscenes. If Reid has no problem with whacking randos in the street he at the very most would be a dispassionate killer or largely indifferent to human suffering.

Puukko

Arcane
Indeed. Now, depicting him as a doctor who cares for his patients would be a fine twist on building a fresh vampire character in itself as he deals with the contradiction of both healing and killing people, but then they had to add the bleeding heart progressive aspect which does not fit his condition nor the times he lives in. It wasn't too overbearing luckily and I liked his polite yet firm tone as well as his dashing looks so overall he was fine.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
This game is a piece of shit. I tried, two times, both dropping it at ~20 hours. No thats not an endorsement like "oh well theres 20 hours of fun in there at least!" or "hey you stuck it out for 20 hours so maybe you're just being overly critical!", no, 20 hours as in "jesus maybe this shit gets better??" IT DOESNT.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
The game is on sale for 17 bucks, thinking about giving it a shot.

One big thing for me I couldnt find out yet, are there dialogue stat checks? I dont see any persuasion or something similar in the skill tree, and skills with noncombat application add a lot to rpgs for me.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
One big thing for me I couldnt find out yet, are there dialogue stat checks? I dont see any persuasion or something similar in the skill tree, and skills with noncombat application add a lot to rpgs for me.
None, there are no stats in this game aside from combat abilities.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The game's main weakness is that it puts Reid in the position of a vampire and nocturnal hunter but gives him a totally inappropriate personality. Reid by default is a bleeding heart but there's no way to do a pacifist run of this game. By the end you would have slaughtered thousands of vamp hunters but Reid still has a moral problem with drinking a random acquaintance dry. Go for a full bloodshed run and Reid becomes a screeching lunatic in cutscenes. If Reid has no problem with whacking randos in the street he at the very most would be a dispassionate killer or largely indifferent to human suffering.

This is a major problem of modern game design. Games try to put these major moral choices on the player, be a good guy or a bad guy, and either choice will end in extreme outbursts of the character displaying his emotional state... but then the encounter design is based on slaughtering hordes of generic enemy soldiers, so even if you play the "non-lethal" path you end up killing tons of people, and all the cutscene emotionality feels fake as a result.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
But you have no reason to kill people in the game lol. Outside of disliking them,like the feminist activist negro bitch.

Alphons

Cipher
But you have no reason to kill people in the game lol.

Streets are filled with hordes of respawning vampire hunters, narrative just doesn't care about them.

Killing 100 nameless vampire hunters: I sleep
Killing a gang leader with dialogue tree: REAL SHIT

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I was playing this for the first time and I kinda like it. Combat system is beyond horrible and there are really stupid decisions but mood and atmosphere is really good. Soundtrack is top notch also.
Killing hundreds of people is OK but killing a nobody(or literal evil) by embracing makes you bad? 'k...

vota DC

Augur
I was playing this for the first time and I kinda like it. Combat system is beyond horrible and there are really stupid decisions but mood and atmosphere is really good. Soundtrack is top notch also.
Killing hundreds of people is OK but killing a nobody(or literal evil) by embracing makes you bad? 'k...
Any reason for being good? You become feral like Bloodlines if too bad or you can keep play and just Murder anyone? I mean you are an undead after all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom