Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes F2P Aug 14

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Sweet, please report back. Mostly curious how the population is doing.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
the terms do look a lot better now... but what about these two:

Rare and higher items will have limited availability for Free members.
how noticeable is this ?

In-Game Pop-Up Advertising - Upgrade Reminders
how annoying is this ?

Data4

Arcane
the terms do look a lot better now... but what about these two:

Rare and higher items will have limited availability for Free members.
how noticeable is this ?

In-Game Pop-Up Advertising - Upgrade Reminders
how annoying is this ?

Regarding the rare items, I'm the wrong person to ask. I'm not a hardcore raider or anything, so my gear tends to stay in the "Thanks for killing those 10 spiders. Here, have some boots." category. Really, I only play these F2P games just to quest and do crap. I'm not competitive, nor am I social in any way in them. With the ads, I'm guessing it's probably like EQ2. You'll get the main "Hey, buy shit!" window when you first log in, then a popup asking you to subscribe about 10 minutes later, and then nothing else for the remainder of your time connected.

Mangoose-- I wouldn't hold your breath for any report-outs from me. Give it a shot. It downloads as you play, so you don't have to get the whole 123345098240813 gig client before you can check it out. At least, I think it does... EQ2 is set up that way. I've had it on my comp for the last couple of years, so it's been awhile since I downloaded it.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Well, takes about 30 minutes on my connection. I'm even installing it a second time (different HDD this time) today because I had huge performance issues and want to see if it might be the old HDD acting up again... Having a job and living in a first world country do have "some" perks.
Population is "low" on the EU server and "medium" on the other server. (Yeah, two servers) Graphics are shit (but one can see that from the videos).
Looks and plays more like a 2004 mmo than a modern one (reminds me of Minions of Mirth). Lots of UI bugs (tool tip not displaying the correct content and stuff). Feels like some translated Asian mmo (which it might well be. I ever followed this, though I was under the impression that it's an not so old western mmo...)
Can't see myself playing this for longer than a few days, though I like the advancement system in principle. Most other codexers wouldn't. So far the only thing I really like about it is that it doesn't try to be an action game with fake levels and lag slapped onto it.

That video from the previous page looked very boring, but someone in the comments mentioned the monsters are so passive because the player is levl 19 and they're level 5, otherwise they'd be swarming him. Still, the player says that even 15+ levels higher than the intended for the dungeon, the monsters still take three or four blows before dying (he one-hits a few with a special attack, though). Soooooo...is this as hard as it sounds?

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Well, Ck it really depends on what class you play.
Disciple? Piss easy.
Dark Knight? Doable and fun.
Ranger (bow)? Master jump-180-kiting and you will own
Druid? kill kill
Shaman (summoner) interesting but glassy.
Rogue (any) better smash your balls against a table, but to some is fun

I could go on, but it's best you head to some forum discussing classes.

What is nice for me is the Diplomacy quests, now there is the Newbie island but the racial starts are very nice in setting the atmosphere.
Hell playing a Dark Elf Dark Knight is very nice story-wise.
Crafting is interesting but care-bearing.

Data4

Arcane
Diplomacy is pretty cool if you're a lorehound, since that's where it all seems to be in the game. Still haven't started playing again, though. Classes are eating up my free time ATM. I'll probably do some playing this weekend.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
What race/class did you play the most when you were active?
My personal favorite was Extraplanar Furry/Dark Knight
Human(Emprah)/Rogue close second

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
So my GF and me will give this a shot because, why not? What class combos are good for a team? Anything to avoid?

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Mh, Tank(Paladin or to some degree DK) or Cleric(healing) and rogue. The rogue in a duo team owns the world.

Disciple(healing monk) and spellcaster (my fav is druid)

Dual Ranger one bow one dual wield.

What to avoid?
I don't really know... I think 2 classes with heavy DoT and no spikes can be pretty tough, but I seen people pull off amazing things with two monks.

But, my infos are outdated.

Data4

Arcane
What race/class did you play the most when you were active?
My personal favorite was Extraplanar Furry/Dark Knight
Human(Emprah)/Rogue close second

My latest character, and the one I played the most, was an elf wizard. Or sorcerer. Or whatever the "light side of the force" spellcaster is called. Pretty decent solo class. In the past, I played a Dark Elf Necro and human Shadowknight. Can't remember much about the gameplay experience with them, though.

Rash- if you're going to team up with someone, I've always found the combo of DPS and offensive healer to be the best duo for most any MMO I've played. Ideally, you want some crowd control ability with one or both of them. Or you can do the tried and true Tank + healer.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Thinking of coming back too. How's the server pop? Not really interested in PvPing in MMO's, so are the carebear servers well populated? Need to think what class to play. Either Necro or Druid. I mained a Necro which was sweet as balls, but the Druid was pretty damn fun too. Plus I don't have to carve every single corpse if I go dr00d.
3rd option might be Bard too, if only because you will out run even the fastests mounts by the time you hit level 10. Making your own buffs was pretty rad.

Data4

Arcane
Server pop is much better now than the last 4 years. There is no PvP any more that I'm aware of. All the servers have been merged into one PVE server. Like you, I really don't give a shit about PvP in MMOs. WoW battlegrounds is about the only thing I can say I've done in that respect that I've ever had any fun with.

I just discovered that my old install somehow got zapped when I did my recent major upgrade, so I'm re-downloading now. Gonna dink around some this weekend. If anyone's interested in getting together, holler. Should be easy since it's all one server and no factions.

Data4

Arcane
So, I am most honolabre Kojani Neclomanca, Shikei Hakaguchi desu. If anyone wants to group up and raise hell, I'd be happy to tell you to fuck off and /ignore you like I do everyone else. :lol:

No, no, I'll give a pass to most glorious Codex brethren.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom