Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vault Dweller: Age of Decadence needs to sell 45,000 copies to be successful

Johannes

Arcane
Well, if you want to come to where I live I can show you a large family of able people who don't spend much time working, yet consume thousands and thousands of dollars every year to fund their smoking, late-night drinking, and bastard spawning. I stopped being polite about it when I found out they got a government handout to pay for surgery on their annoying dog.

Are they honest, virtuous, hard-working people who sheepishly accept assistance just to make ends meet? No. They proudly ferret out every available subsidy in order to take advantage of it, and they're really, really good at it. They will never pay for anything themselves if they can get the public treasury to do it for them. They're so good at it, it kind of proves how little they actually need it, since they could obviously figure out how to do something else if they had any motivation to do so.
I bet they have a pirate copy of AoD, too

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Well, if you want to come to where I live I can show you a large family of able people who don't spend much time working, yet consume thousands and thousands of dollars every year to fund their smoking, late-night drinking, and bastard spawning. I stopped being polite about it when I found out they got a government handout to pay for surgery on their annoying dog.

Are they honest, virtuous, hard-working people who sheepishly accept assistance just to make ends meet? No. They proudly ferret out every available subsidy in order to take advantage of it, and they're really, really good at it. They will never pay for anything themselves if they can get the public treasury to do it for them. They're so good at it, it kind of proves how little they actually need it, since they could obviously figure out how to do something else if they had any motivation to do so.
Why do these "people" get welfare but when I'm no longer needed, I get to be told to get somehow selected for a job from one of 100s of candidates or starve (that is I get told to starve)?
This world is so twisted... so unfair.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I never took drugs or smoked. I also drink only minimal amounts of alcohol from time to time. I'm much more deserving of a welfare check than them.
Used to not eat confectionery too but life under constant threat became unbearable.

I bet they could even easily get a job through drug networking. They are probably that kind of people who usually get jobs as drug buddies of employees and employees still put out an offer to get 6 million of CVs just in case they come to job drugged out of their minds or something.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

Look on the other side, it's probably worth it to pay such people to do nothing rather than forcing them to work and risking them ending up in the financial industry.

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The sad truth is that there will always be assholes who will game the system to their advantage. Much better to let them get some free handouts than to have them in some critical role (financial markets, but any other industry as well) where they'll cause much more damage.

There is definitely a balance between too much welfare and too little, but trying to eliminate all the idiots who game the system isn't really possible and should simply be considered part of the cost of living in a civilized society.

Howdy

No Matt Chat interview with VD or his crew. That is so lame.

When was this decided and from who's side, Barton or Weller? I was secretly hoping for an AoD chat with the lads or just VD on his own. Shame.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Elhoim
Any news on the dungeon crawler? Is the release still planned for this year or has everything got delayed (e.g. January AoD update was supposed to be the last one)?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Elhoim
Any news on the dungeon crawler? Is the release still planned for this year or has everything got delayed (e.g. January AoD update was supposed to be the last one)?

Still planned for this year. I've already set up all levels and a very basic layout, started refining them, playing around with visual concepts. Stopped a bit for now to set up the thieving update.

himmy

Arcane

Novelty games that are specifically made to create social media buzz have better sales than a hardcore RPG that requires you put hours upon hours of effort into playing? Are you one of those people that also complains Beyonce is more popular than "insert local punk band"?

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Still planned for this year. I've already set up all levels and a very basic layout, started refining them, playing around with visual concepts. Stopped a bit for now to set up the thieving update.
Thanks for the reply. You could throw us a bone and post some screenshots or something to hype things up (not now but ASAP of course). It makes me sad that Underrail gets so much more attention than Age of Decadence (not only in Poland, eurogamer has published article about it and it did not once mention AoD).

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Goral

It's still planned for this year. We're working on all 3 games simultaneously at this point.

AoD: we're planning to release an update in early Feb, then we'll take a few months break and focus on the crawler; we'll probably do the final update in May or so.

Dungeon crawler: we have the flow and all 4 levels mapped. Oscar's working on the levels. Nick's working on the party-based setup. Ivan's making new critters. While so far we're on schedule, it doesn't mean much because we're at a very early stage where everything always goes well. We won't run into any issues until we put the game together and see what we got.

CSG: we're working on the setting, factions, and locations. I'm waiting for Mazin to finish a couple concepts and then I'll post a proper update.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Goral

It's still planned for this year. We're working on all 3 games simultaneously at this point.

AoD: we're planning to release an update in early Feb, then we'll take a few months break and focus on the crawler; we'll probably do the final update in May or so.

Dungeon crawler: we have the flow and all 4 levels mapped. Oscar's working on the levels. Nick's working on the party-based setup. Ivan's making new critters. While so far we're on schedule, it doesn't mean much because we're at a very early stage where everything always goes well. We won't run into any issues until we put the game together and see what we got.

CSG: we're working on the setting, factions, and locations. I'm waiting for Mazin to finish a couple concepts and then I'll post a proper update.
Why the break in AoD development? Is it just to gather a lot of feedback for the final balance thing? I know you're very attached to your dearest baby, but the best policy seems to me to be do one thing at a time and stop altoghether.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Because it's the last update and I want to take some time to think it through. Gathering feedback won't hurt either.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fuck those pseudo reviewers; I bought a copy to the Bunnyhop guy and sent him the code, and somebody exchanged it on gog a couple of weeks ago (probably not even him) and not only did he not even acknowledge it by saying thanks or posting something about the game...much even less reviewing the damn thing. Guess he is too busy for non japanese indies; the fucking hipster

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom