Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vestaria Saga - SRPG series from the FE creator - second game out now

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
How is the story? Is it absolutely face-punchingly excruciatingly soul-crushing like Fire Emblem fans demand it be?
Story's pretty meh, graphics are shit. Everything else is fantastic though. The music in particular is incredible.
Surprisingly, there's also some... blackish humor. Including a particularly good one in chapter 19, which I'm not going to spoil :lol::lol::lol:

Endemic

Arcane
Haven't gotten that far but the final map is quite involved, so I hear. Did you
give Hoelun to that fat bastard? :P

Endemic

Arcane
https://twitter.com/Ks_vestaria/status/1073649278424236032

Looks like the gaiden chapters ended being longer than initially planned (29 in total), tentative completion in Spring 2019. Sounds like it could be quite the headache to translate, judging by the visual novel-length script across the vanilla 20 maps.

Some screenshots:

4fJsVVg.png

WEivmMq.jpg

oYDkoOr.jpg

Since I didn't comment on this before, the music and some artwork being good is no surprise considering that professionals were paid to do it (Berwick Saga's composer returned, as well as the artist from Thracia 776/Tear Ring Saga).

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Since this is pretty much a fire emblem thread I think I'll just mention that a full translation for Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 is finally nearing completion (only 5 chapters to go). https://serenesforest.net/forums/in...nslation-script-complete-through-chapter-21x/

I already posted that in the translation thread: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...-of-wapanese-games.40348/page-78#post-6069895

The general FE thread is here: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-fire-emblem-thread.96492/page-23 ;)

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
The first gaiden is called "Silverbirch’s Sacred Sword", consisting of 25 maps featuring Zade (the main character of Vestaria 1). It's titled "Episode 2" and follows on from the ending to 1. The second is a fairly short 4-map campaign called "Heroes of Lucca". The music and artwork seem solid enough so far.

The menu guide for Vestaria 1 should still apply here: https://serenesforest.net/2016/09/13/vestaria-saga-menu-guide/#more-33316

Some screenshots from Silverbirch:

Main menu:

Jk2HD2N.png

Map 1 (well most of it, there are a few enemies off-screen in the southeast):

vnrcb8L.png

Zade:

yH2dH71.png

He's now the promoted "Arch Liege" class, still carrying the Edelstern (as well as a backup shortsword + healing potions). He has Commander (essentially working the same as in Berwick Saga), Prayer, Adept and Hero of Meleda (passive).

IENNE7W.png

The second playable character is Accord, a female mage prepromote who comes with a fire tome and a personal tome named Nashorn which hits twice per attack with lightning damage. She also has Prayer, and can use staves.

bKCMhjv.png

Ashram the Swordmaster is your typical glass cannon, high damage and high crit with low endurance. He has a skill that works roughly like Lethality from Fire Emblem, in addition to Adept, Vantage and Critical Strike.

y0AVSNH.png

Finally we have Sujatha, a rogue archetype who fights with daggers. She has a Raijin Dagger which does bonus lightning damage and can't counter\be counterattacked, as well as a bog-standard knife. The dagger also gives her the skill "Impregnable" which renders her immune to otherwise fatal attacks when at 1hp, with a few exceptions (poison, scripted events, enemies with Nihil etc). The rest of her skillset consists of Wrath, Imbue (5 points of health regeneration at the end of each turn), Prayer, and Evasion (command-activated). One other interesting wrinkle Sujatha comes with is the attribute "Wounded Heart", which will automatically cause her to go berserk when reduced to 1hp.

MstGg3T.png

The enemy bosses aren't too dissimilar from your average brigand in Tear Ring Saga or Berwick Saga. Both of these guys have 1-2 range throwing axes, and the first one has rank II of the Commander skill with higher buffs.

isYHbc2.png

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Heh, the graveyard spawns several undead if you try to investigate the skeleton.

Endemic

Arcane
Zade got a nice level-up:

Tymbo9K.png

I like that Sujatha's dodge animation has her guard with her weapon:

8TXRSed.png

Archer with 7 range and pretty high accuracy for a generic:

Y72QHln.png

Roasting some brigands:

KGO3CUV.png

Endemic

Arcane
Vestaria I is in closed beta right now (keys were available if you were on Dangen's discord server), I'm hearing positive reviews from the testers I've spoken to. There are a few outstanding bugs from the engine upgrade (some instances of AI behaving unexpectedly, a couple of scripts breaking) that need fixing before release.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I really wish Dangen (especially after accusations that they weren't properly PAYING their devs) wasn't handling the advertisements but I can't say no to this.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
It's out.

As niche as it is, there are very small number of concurrent player and reviews, but reviews generally are positive as expected. (Out of three negative reviews, two only complain about limitations and issues posed by the engine, one thinks FE is doing better and we don't need "a shameless copy" of it by the original creator.)

Jinn

Arcane
An unfortunate and foolish time to release, but really, all the game needs to make back is localization costs.

Could even be profitable in the end.

Jinn

Arcane
Anyone grab this yet? I have so many games to play right now, but I definitely want to support this being made for PC and localized. Also, I feel like that 10 hour final battle Kaga has talked about in interviews is something I need to experience as a fan of SRPGs. Not to mention the rest of the game looks pretty finely tuned and like a lot of fun.

Interested to read any first impressions.

Jinn

Arcane
Couldn't help myself and had to play a few hours last night. It's a lot of what you'd expect from Kaga - nice difficulty, great map design, interesting bits of choice and consequence, hidden and missable unit recruits, solid world building and story. The music is actually surprisingly good too, and I'm loving a lot of the character portrait designs.

Main problems would be poor combat animations, stock background images, stock unit models, etc. Basically, I was expecting there to be some more original assets in the game, rather than a lot of stock stuff from the game engine. Too bad, but the gameplay is what's really important, and it's as good as ever.

Happy to be playing a Kaga game on PC for the first time and looking forward to continuing into Chapter 5. Making me extra excited for that Berwick translation to get finished up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom