Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Victoria 2: Ahistorical fairy-land Latin America, what the fuck Paradox?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Goddamnit this 3.04 halted my playthrough, i'm waiting for them to release actual 3.04 with bugs fixed, can't play now 3.03 knowing that 3.04 offers world war.

Urbanolo

Augur
Are they even going to release 3.04 officially? It seems like it may stay as a beta 'official/unofficial' patch for ever.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I think they've sometimes had beta patches lingering as the latest update for a long time for their games.

Beastro

Arcane
So, if anyone wants to play Victoria II - play European, anything else is boring.

[eurocentrist me] Why would you ever want to play any non-Western faction? The rest is just for conquering...[/eurocentrist me]

:smug:

Plus, if what I said is true and Paradox wasn't being flippant, it sounds like Johann doesn't have much confidence in the Vicky franchise.

Which is a shame. It's flawed as hell, but enjoyable as hell.

Main flaw being no special events for Canada or British Columbia. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

My big issue is how hard it is to keep the Columbia AI from joining Canada.

I totally fragmented the US into separate states (with the rump US in Mexico and Central American), forced the US to release Columbia to complete the patchwork, only for it to join Canada a few months later.

1800 - Napoleonic Wars, EU3 time. Too complicated to model as well.

I think 1820/1830 to 1930 is a good time to model.

Concert of Europe starts in 1821:
This modmod adds a new 1821 bookmark to Pops of Darkness, extending the timeline of the game backward by almost fifteen years (the 1836 and 1861 bookmarks are retained unchanged— play from any of the three dates!).

Particularly interesting states to play from the 1821 start are Russia, Congress Poland, Gran Colombia, Peru and Bolivia, the Netherlands, Dagestan, Egypt, Persia, Greece, the Ottoman Empire, Mexico and Portugal-Brazil. Forthcoming content will expand upon America, the Ottoman Empire and others. Of course, the chief feature is an additional fourteen-odd years for the player(s) to shift the course of history. The mod also increasingly adds extra content and tweaks for various countries (notably Hungary, the Confederate States of America, Italy, Brazil, the Ottoman Empire, Greece, Persia, Yugoslavia, and others).

Amusing difference is the Westward expansion of the US and British American often results in war which often results in the US losing giving British army numbers in Canada. In the end it often just means the US losing Washington of North Dakota territory wise, but the damage from the war can set the US back decades leaving them weak even into the late 19th Century (still strong enough to crush the CSA without player help).

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
So, if anyone wants to play Victoria II - play European, anything else is boring.

[eurocentrist me] Why would you ever want to play any non-Western faction? They're for conquering...[/eurocentrist me]

:smug:

Plus, if what I said is true and Paradox wasn't being flippant, it sounds like Johann doesn't have much confidence in the Vicky franchise.

Which is a shame. It's flawed as hell, but enjoyable as hell.

Main flaw being no special events for Canada or British Columbia. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

My big issue is how hard it is to keep the Columbia AI from joining Canada.

It's almost like it's like real life...

:negative:

Have I just encountered a rare BC Codexer? I can't think of anyone else who would even give Columbia a second glance, ha!

Urbanolo

Augur
Anybody else playing Historical Project Mod? Goddamn, it's one of the best mods I've ever played in any game. And playing Argentina and many other small countries is finally fun.

Also, restoring Mughal empire.

Anybody else playing Historical Project Mod? Goddamn, it's one of the best mods I've ever played in any game. And playing Argentina and many other small countries is finally fun.

Ehh, overbloated mess that is horribly balanced. Almost as bad as Pop Demand Mod.

Urbanolo

Augur

Ehh, overbloated mess that is horribly balanced. Almost as bad as Pop Demand Mod.

Elaborate please how is that balanced horribly? They barely changed the balance in comparison to vanilla and added a shitload of historical triggers/events.

The new national values really mess up balance, the mobilization thing is silly. In general its the kind of mod made by someone who seeks to railroad events and punish players who do anything they don't like.

For example if you go over the infamy limit you get an event where its basically described that your whole country revolts. Rather than just increase militancy, it also causes every pop in your nation to get an over -100% production modifier, and if you manage to tech high enough to offset that then it also gives you a negative tax modifier such that you actually get negative amounts of tax. I've not seen such a heavy handed modifier for a Paradox game mod since I played the joke that was BlackICE. EDIT: almost forgot, you also get these modifiers if you mobilize while not at war. Because apparently Great Powers mobilizing in preparation for war in this time period caused the whole country to collapse immediately.

Also there's chronic problems of half the world starving and AI nations constantly going bankrupt. Not just minor nations like in vanilla or NNM, GPs like the UK go bankrupt almost regularly and by the end game I didn't see a single AI GP whose prestige wasn't 2 digits or low 3 digits from constantly going bankrupt.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
For example if you go over the infamy limit you get an event where its basically described that your whole country revolts. Rather than just increase militancy, it also causes every pop in your nation to get an over -100% production modifier, and if you manage to tech high enough to offset that then it also gives you a negative tax modifier such that you actually get negative amounts of tax. I've not seen such a heavy handed modifier for a Paradox game mod since I played the joke that was BlackICE.

Edit save game, remove infamy. I RP my expansion so bad boy is nothing but a hindrance.
Also there's chronic problems of half the world starving and AI nations constantly going bankrupt. Not just minor nations like in vanilla or NNM, GPs like the UK go bankrupt almost regularly and by the end game I didn't see a single AI GP whose prestige wasn't 2 digits or low 3 digits from constantly going bankrupt.

EDIT: almost forgot, you also get these modifiers if you mobilize while not at war. Because apparently Great Powers mobilizing in preparation for war in this time period caused the whole country to collapse immediately.

Yeaaaah, uninstall that shit.

Edit save game, remove infamy. I RP my expansion so bad boy is nothing but a hindrance.

Even if you edit your infamy down (or release nations in-game to lower infamy) the modifier was put in place for something ridiculous like 10 years and couldn't be gotten rid of in any way until then. It was crazy, every pop in the nation starving to death because they went on strike for years. Have to search through the mod files to find what the modifier is called and then search the save file to remove it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom