Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Victoria 3

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Multi-headed Cow, May 21, 2021.

1. HeroMarine Irenaeus

HeroMarine
    Niggaz is struggling

Trigger warning: afro-caribeño slaves
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeY1KnjmjHE

• sheeeeiiiit x 4
    • incline x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    upload_2021-9-19_12-23-50.png

upload_2021-9-19_12-25-30.png

• M'lady M'lady x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Comte Arcane

Comte
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Niggerino Savant

Niggerino
    Slavery isn't horrific, it has existed as long as humanity. What's horrific is the modern homo sapiens.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Preben Arbiter

Preben
    So has murder and theft. Are they good too?

• Brofist x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Niggerino Savant

Niggerino
    You missed the point completely. No one is gonna go pearl clutching before explaining their thieving game mechanic or "murder" mechanic. Its fucking obnoxious.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Preben Arbiter

Preben
    You still can find plenty of folks over the Internet that will argue that slavery was good and blacks should know their place. If that wasn't the case nobody would have to do virtue signalling over this.

• cuck x 3
    • retadred x 2
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Sranchammer Arcane

Sranchammer

I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    The only thing that changed was that they were paid hourly instead of for life.

Freeing them gave them the distinction of becoming bullet sponges too!

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan

• Informative Informative x 3
    ^ Top  
  10. what am i doing Arcane Patron

what am i doing
    While I'm sure they'll find a way to fuck it up in practice, at least in principle this system looks to be a colossal improvement over Victoria 2's cb/justification/declaration system. In theory it looks like it might also potentially better model the way that small conflicts/disputes in that time period could easily start to involve more countries.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  11. Sranchammer Arcane

Sranchammer

This game is all I have interest in - and even that is fleeting.

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan

• incline x 8
    • Informative x 6
    • Brofist x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Sranchammer Arcane

Sranchammer

What does this mean for Haiti playthrough?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Fishy Fishy x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Equip the Ring Equip the Ring x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. FreeKaner Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

FreeKaner
    I was rather indifferent to cautiously pessimistic towards Victoria 3 but such a radical and bold change to one of the weakest aspects of the game definitely made me look forward to the release of this game. I hope they succeed with this.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • incline x 2
    • consume product x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    We all know they are going to fuck this up with their Swedishness.

• Agree x 3
    • "It was Aliens" x 2
    • Despair x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Niggerino Savant

Niggerino
    This is so epic that I am now considering buying this game

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    I feel conflicted. On one side, one of the most satisfying aspects of PDX games were outmaneuvering your enemies and encircling\stackwiping them. On the other side - this new system could simulate actual fronts like no unit-based could and AI ALWAYS fuck up unit management because human have way too strong advantage on tactical level. I want to see how it will develop to be applied to other future games.
    Anyway, anyone have an example of games with similar approach to front management?

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. thesecret1 Arcane

thesecret1
    They certainly seem ambitious with this game, going ahead with new mechanics rather than just rehashing old shit. Sounds like incline, tbh, but let's see what they actually end up with

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Harthwain Magister

Harthwain
    I remain exceedingly cautious. At least until I see how it works in practice.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  20. Hace El Oso Arcane Patron

Hace El Oso
    As long as there is a representation of war in some form on the map to satisfy my shallower side, maybe with trench lines and artilleryfire, biplanes cruising, etc. then I can be content without direct tactical control. In return for a novel form of war gameplay that places a more realistic burden on the incompetents that pass for AI coders at Paradox. Not to mention that it’s more in line with the responsibilities of a head of state. My first thought while reading the dev diary was this:
    [​IMG]
    Did anyone else play that, back in the day?

The biggest danger I can think of with this approach (from what has been said so far)is it becoming a kind of glorified CYOA, like the duels from CK2. I wouldn't doubt Nu-Paradox's ability to find new and exciting ways to disappoint me, though.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Harthwain Magister

Harthwain
    As for Victoria 3's potential - I concur with Diplomacy coming to mind. What I am afraid of is that we might end up with a bunch of modifiers and not much else, resulting in the player not feeling like he has any impact on the course of the war.

Now, a boardgame-like combat might work and be fun (and I am a big proponent of making videogames more like boardgames), but a huge aspect of playing boardgames is the diplomacy part that happens between the players, which is why chat box is the second most important tool in the digital version of the A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (right after the strategic view of the map). I can hardly see that to be the case in a singleplayer-oriented game though. Then again, diplomacy always was on somewhat competent level in Paradox games. It was the combat that was sub-par aspect of it (due to the AI not being able to properly utilize it).

By the way, I prefer A Game of Thrones: The Board Game, because it introduces more variables (random events, various orders, various battle cards, etc.).

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Catacombs Arcane Patron

Catacombs
    I don't know how this game could be fun with computers. It's best with real people. We actually had a Codex Diplomacy game going on for a while. Loads of fun.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Which, incidentally, calls to attention all the claims that Victoria 3 isn't going to be a good multiplayer game. The game is gonna have diplomatic power moves, balance of power and negotiated two-part peace deals in it. With most of the micro being concentrated in the economy it has the potential to be the Diplomacy-Anno of Paradox games.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    Paradox itself released a computer adaptation of Diplomacy in 2005, although it was rushed to meet the deadline they had agreed with Hasbro, while suffering from a brain-dead AI and an inability to communicate directly with other human players --- the last element due to Paradox's insistence on limiting each human player to the same communication options for other human-controlled players as for AI-controlled countries, although they did belatedly admit defeat following the game's release and added direct multiplayer communication via patch.

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I think a lot of this depends on how war is implemented/simulated under the hood.
    The player not having such a direct influence is something I approve of, especially for this game.

But it would be interesting if, for example, you have HoI4 style frontlines - just without the units.
    When you select the frontline, you can see "how it goes" and some approximations of the battles that are happening.
    What would be important for that would be to see actual effects of things that you CAN influence as the player, e.g. if you assign more resources/manpower/whatever to the war, you should see the effects of that on that frontline somehow.

If it was really just a bunch of numbers hidden somewhere, it would be very underwhelming.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.