Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Video Game Awards AKA the Dorito Pope Show 2015

Lord Romulus

Arcane
The game of the year nominees honestly wasn't as offensive as I thought it would be. But what the hell is this "Her Story" game that's nominated in half the categories? Looks like one of those cheap FMV games and I haven't heard anybody talk about it anywhere.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
San fran clique trash. Only thing it's got going for it even to them is the fact that she apparently uses her own stories and photos. Muh personal emotional engagement so artistic.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
This is laughably bad. Some of these games haven't even been out for a month, and still get nominated.

I'm sure you're aware the quality of the game itself has nothing to do with these awards, but rather how much hype there is around it.

For example, Fallout 4 was purchased by 12 billion imbeciles? 12 billion can't be wrong, right? GOTY + best writing!
Probably it works in a similar matter with some game that promotes the SJW censorship agenda in some way.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm sure you're aware the quality of the game itself has nothing to do with these awards, but rather how much hype there is around it.

Oh yes I am. And there is not a single award ceremony out there that's taken seriously that selects its nominations based on hype, rather than quality.

The biggest award ceremonies (especially in the entertainment industry) put in requirements of specific release dates for possible contenders so that the jury can spend time evaluating them before announcing the nominees.

But it's like people's brains suddenly turn off when it comes to video games award ceremonies. Everything goes, and clearly it goes for a set price.

Looking back, Fallout 4 was out for about a week before the nomimations were announced. No one in their right mind takes such an "award ceremoney" seriously, yet an entire genre of the entertainment industry is expected to do so?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Venser is correct. The important awards are chosen by these people: http://thegameawards.com/jury-and-advisors/

But I'm sure they're thankful for the free Twitter advertising!
There is that long list and the only name I recognize is Jeff Gerstmann. So many people from noname sites which are not about gaming. You can bet that those people are only familiar with the overhyped mainstream stuff.

ultimanecat

Arcane
The game of the year nominees honestly wasn't as offensive as I thought it would be. But what the hell is this "Her Story" game that's nominated in half the categories? Looks like one of those cheap FMV games and I haven't heard anybody talk about it anywhere.

Gameplay consists of using search queries to go through a database of short clips of a series of police interviews with a woman wanted for murder. No, you can't just watch the clips in order, otherwise it wouldn't be a "game".
Since nobody actually played it, I'll just tell you that you discover that the woman is actually a pair of twins who share the same life until they fall in love with different men, one of them gets pregnant, and kills one of the men accidentally while arguing about him cheating. Then you find out you're (as in you, the person sitting in front of a computer searching a database) are the daughter, trying to understand your mother's actions years later.

Yes, it's basically the plot to The Prestige except not told very interestingly. In the world of video game journalists, a derivative story told with barely any interactivity is something to celebrate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Venser

Erudite
Gameplay consists of using search queries to go through a database of short clips of a series of police interviews with a woman wanted for murder. No, you can't just watch the clips in order, otherwise it wouldn't be a "game".

Since nobody actually played it, I'll just tell you that you discover that the woman is actually a pair of twins who share the same life until they fall in love with different men, one of them gets pregnant, and kills one of the men accidentally while arguing about him cheating. Then you find out you're (as in you, the person sitting in front of a computer searching a database) are the daughter, trying to understand your mother's actions years later.

Yes, it's basically the plot to The Prestige except not told very interestingly. In the world of video game journalists, a derivative story told with barely any interactivity is something to celebrate.

Dude seriously? You're gonna drop HUGE FUCKING SPOILERS without a warning? I wanted to play this, especially since I just finished the Serial podcast and I was told that this is kinda similar. Fuck you so hard

ultimanecat

Arcane
Sorry I spoiled The Prestige.

Less sorry I spoiled the game. It's been out 5 months and can be completed in one hour - figured anybody interested in "Games for Change" would have played it already. Go watch it on YouTube if you're still interested.

made

Arcane
Dude seriously? You're gonna drop HUGE FUCKING SPOILERS without a warning? I wanted to play this, especially since I just finished the Serial podcast and I was told that this is kinda similar. Fuck you so hard
Your synthetic son is the villain in Fallout 4.

Perkel

Arcane
They should rename it "The Witcher Awards". Only in one category they are not default winners.
This year already CDPR got like 7 golden joisticks (setting record)

Though i don't think they will get 'dex goty. AoD will be the one.

anus_pounder

Arcane
They should rename it "The Witcher Awards". Only in one category they are not default winners.
This year already CDPR got like 7 golden joisticks (setting record)

Though i don't think they will get 'dex goty. AoD will be the one.

So you think, until Roxor's review comes out December 31st (Which happens to be a THURSDAY) and the ensuing drama causes this year's Codex GOTY topic to be shut down.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Dude it is november not january..

I gauge a "game year" from start of December 'till end of November. A game that's released in mid-December of a year (for the Christmas season, for example) can't really be considered "Game of the Year" for that year, as its impact isn't felt early next year. See Doom for the best example of this.

Besides, there's nothing wrong with starting the thread a little early to hear what titles people are rooting for.

NullFlow

Savant
The nominees for any GOTY are always going to be commercially bought out and end up meaningless marketing ploys, but it's always fun seeing the Dewritos sponsored video game version of the Oscars play out. Knowing how Bethesda works I expect Fallout 4 to sneak in GOTY even though I'd say TW3 and MGSV are more deserving. In general I think TW3 deserves most of the awards it was nominated for, except for voice acting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom