Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Video Game Awards AKA the Dorito Pope Show 2015

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Got bored and left

I probably shouldn't be giving people ideas, but these award shows would get way more exciting (not to mention relevant) if people on the 'Dex could bet brofists and tags on winners and losers in various categories :P

Kefka1134

Like 99.1% chance TW3 is going to win a bunch, I mean they'll give F4 something in some other category or whatever but yeah TW3.

Anyway, probably not going to be following The Game Awards much at all..

A lot of my favorite games tend to be stuff like Bloodrayne Betrayal or something which was barely even reviewed at all the year it came out. I think they think they're getting that with the "best independent/mobile game" but the reality is the feeling I get from so-called "independent" scene is a hyper corporate mentality, which may have always been true as far as I know...

Or like would Tales of Xillia ever get nominated? (came out last year of course) Nah, even though it's been one of the much better games I've played anywhere.

Plus "best narrative?" It's like they are just flat out stating that games don't have to games to be games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Undertale looks like some shitty meme game that Tumblr would probably be a fan of. Why is it being nominated for awards.

I don't know, but Bradylama is a fan

undertale7-noscale.jpg

lol

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I saw that site before seeing this thread. Looks like a bunch of the richest people in the industry gathered for some PR, through financing their own game awards to award each other's games.

I don't expect TW3 to get more than 1 award at most. As you can see, there is no one from CDPR on the jury, and these "awards" are clearly set up so that people from the jury can get their games "awarded". I'm afraid the reason they've decided to give it so many nominations is just to have it be "the game that got the most nominations and the least awards" in the news reports later.

I got most laughs by watching the "sports" category of nominees. I do advise you to take a look at the "contestants". I think the whole list of nominees is a striking demonstration of how this industry has declined in the quality of its products.

Also, please stop this bullshit about Fallout 4 selling 12 million copies already. Note the difference between copies shipped and copies sold.

Kefka1134

I saw that site before seeing this thread. Looks like a bunch of the richest people in the industry gathered for some PR, through financing their own game awards to award each other's games.

I don't expect TW3 to get more than 1 award at most. As you can see, there is no one from CDPR on the jury, and these "awards" are clearly set up so that people from the jury can get their games "awarded". I'm afraid the reason they've decided to give it so many nominations is just to have it be "the game that got the most nominations and the least awards" in the news reports later.

Also, please stop this bullshit about Fallout 4 selling 12 million copies already. Note the difference between copies shipped and copies sold.

This is the thing, these things have kind of evolved so that favortism takes different froms, they'll give a bunch of awards to TW3 in order to make it seem like they're so very open, the fact that they're a relatatively newer company and this is their first 5 million+ seller makes it like a "good story." Moreover conceptually it's a bit more ambitious.

Remember how Hollywood eventually evolved to the point where the "stories" won the awards? Yeah, there's an area of gaming that has that now.

They're actually hoping people will think what you think, which is that TW3 is too far outside the norm and not a major game company and so couldn't possibly win, and then give TW3 some key awards so people will be suddenly "pleasantly" surprised, and in exchange buy into their award program.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't think TW3 is too far outside the norm at all, except in the way it treats its source material (which is good). The problem with TW3 is that it's European and it's included at a PR event that its producer simply hasn't paid for :) It's kind of an unwanted guest there, but there was no way around being nominated because it was too big and too good quality.

Who knows, maybe I'll be wrong and TW3 will get all its awards. I hope to be wrong, and the awards will not be so corrupt as I imagine. We'll see.

Kefka1134

Well in all seriousness maybe I'm wrong :eek:, but there's just something that feels like they really, really want this show to be something that doesn't fade away like all the other things like it and would be willing to go the extra mile.

The bigger problem is like they're following Hollywood for some reason when games define themselves oftentimes in opposition to it. The gamespot awards were always fun because they had all those silly categories and stuff that made it a lot less serious. Plus, being written meant there was less pressure and so on, not to mention video games on the whole have frequently been at least as much if not much more so a Japanese/European thing so to have a live event not in those countries is kind of like holding a celebration of a French national holiday in Arizona or something it just doesn't really... fit, like they just wouldn't really be able to easily get there and so on.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Look like they want to focus on "world premieres" and music this year, because they realized that awards for old games are boring for the internet audience. He announced that in his recent retrospective video and now claims 10 world premieres for the show. Far Cry Primal is one of them, so yawn.

Space Insect

Arcane
Lego Jurassic World beat Sword Coast Legends for best co-op (at least in those game debate.com awards).
Take that WOTC!

GrainWetski

Arcane
I don't think TW3 is too far outside the norm at all, except in the way it treats its source material (which is good). The problem with TW3 is that it's European and it's included at a PR event that its producer simply hasn't paid for :) It's kind of an unwanted guest there, but there was no way around being nominated because it was too big and too good quality.

Who knows, maybe I'll be wrong and TW3 will get all its awards. I hope to be wrong, and the awards will not be so corrupt as I imagine. We'll see.
TW3 is an AAA game that had a huge marketing campaign. It winning wouldn't show anything about any supposed lack of corruption. Quite the opposite actually.

Lord Romulus

Arcane
Why does any time a new presenter come up, they have to do some gay-ass speech about how awesome it is to be a gamer? It's always the same shit about "exploring new worlds, killing zombies, and slaying dragons with friends is so epic". Everybody watching already plays games, you don't have to explain the appeal of games.

Lord Romulus

Arcane
Rocket League is like the kind of game that I know is popular, but I don't know anybody who's actually played it. It's just something I keep seeing in the recommended section on Youtube.

Lord Romulus

Arcane
Her Story is now the only game this year to have received multiple awards so far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom