Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Video Game Awards AKA the Dorito Pope Show 2015

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That Greg Miller guy (0:17 in the video) won trending gamer of the year. Says it all.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Who watches Game Awards? Stupid people who needs validation that their game is goty?

I legitimately thought that Kojima was going to appear on the stage and announce that MGSV isn't finished, revealing Chapter 3 or something, and I wanted to see the ruse cruise firsthand. There was a shitton of speculative evidence that this would be the case, but ultimately it was all misguided.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Oh man several in the crowd saying, "You better not say Fallout 4," during the Game of the Year award was great.

Also techno sucks, not sure why it's so popular in gaming.

Longshanks

Augur
Gameplay consists of using search queries to go through a database of short clips of a series of police interviews with a woman wanted for murder. No, you can't just watch the clips in order, otherwise it wouldn't be a "game".
Since nobody actually played it, I'll just tell you that you discover that the woman is actually a pair of twins who share the same life until they fall in love with different men, one of them gets pregnant, and kills one of the men accidentally while arguing about him cheating. Then you find out you're (as in you, the person sitting in front of a computer searching a database) are the daughter, trying to understand your mother's actions years later.

Yes, it's basically the plot to The Prestige except not told very interestingly. In the world of video game journalists, a derivative story told with barely any interactivity is something to celebrate.

Dude seriously? You're gonna drop HUGE FUCKING SPOILERS without a warning? I wanted to play this, especially since I just finished the Serial podcast and I was told that this is kinda similar. Fuck you so hard
Don't worry, the "object" of the "game" isn't to discover the plot points listed here, it's more to work out whether what your being told is true or not. I think Venser actually has that wrong, by the way.

The game takes very little time to play (couple of hours). There is no game here though, you have one fixed narrative, in FMV form, split into small clips. You discover clips by typing in keywords, that's the entire gameplay. Once you have found all of the clips, or enough of them to work out the story, you are simply asked, "do you understand now?" and answer yes or no. That's it.

Once you have the story you can go into quite a bit of depth in working out the truth of it, but given that your choosing between 2 or 3 ludicrous options there's not a lot of interest in it. It's also purposely setup as ambiguous, so you don't really get a definitive answer, though one interpretation clearly has more going for it than the others. I actually think the form has a degree of merit for an investigation game, but you'd need to do a lot more with it gameplay wise than "Her Story" does. This game should not be anywhere near a "best game" award or even narrative given there is very little of the former and the latter is ludicrous. I do think the acting was decent enough, so that award wasn't completely misplaced.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom