Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Video gayme stories that don't suck pissnuts

The Blackwell series of adventure games by Wadjet Eye is a nice (or great, if you're a fan) example of video game storytelling. It's like an episodic ghost hunting detective tv show, with the main story developing slowly throughout the seasons (games).
I like the first four a lot (especially the second), but the last one badly shit the bed by going way too epic in scope.

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
I loved Beginner's Guide as a video game story. Great utilization of the medium, interesting topics and a thick atmosphere.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm saying the medium should stick to it's strong suit. Just inserting a novel into a gayme is a cuck move. Visual storytelling works best for vidya if they want to remain pure. Some texts/audio logs are fine, but they need to be minimal and exist solely as a means to supplement the envrionmental storytelling and cutscenes or whatever. That is the correct form for this degenerate medium.

Vidya story-telling has only suffered since it moved away from being heavily text-based.

I've seen you and heard you speak, so I already knew you were a retard, but this thread is proof beyond any doubt.

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
Modded Corruption of Champions 1 is also a riveting and extraordinary experience.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Another World (good visual storytelling with ZERO text, never really surpassed since)
Gemini Rue (excellent detective adventure)
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (walking sim with light puzzles, but the atmosphere and the story are top-notch)
Loom (point'n'click classic)
Banner Saga (great world-building, atmosphere and story)

Also, I think many graphic and text adventures would easily qualify; certainly a higher percentage of them have a good to great story than RPGs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom