Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Video LP - The Dark Spire

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

Deleted Member 16721

Hello! :)

Since I posted my Elminage Gothic LP which is a bit older, here is a brand new LP series that I plan on updating going forward.

We will be playing The Dark Spire, an old-school inspired yet modern take on dungeon-crawling for the Nintendo DS.

Let's Play The Dark Spire - Episode 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFlmmX4GOTU

So, feel free to check it out and see if you like it. Ciao.

- Fluent

Deleted Member 16721

Episode 2 is live! In this episode, we discover just how punishing this game can be!

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted Member 16721

Episode 3 is live! In this episode, we make some quest progress after the Moonlight Jewel and find a creepy doll that we smash with a hammer! Fun!

Deleted Member 16721

Episode 4 is live! In this episode, we undertake a very tricky gambling quest to retrieve a lost family heirloom. We have lots of fun in this one so check it out! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted Member 16721

Episode 5 is live! In this episode, we explore a bit of the second floor, find some hidden doors and generally have a great time doing so!

Oh, and this is the RPG Codex Informative Edition, so I'm (hopefully) more informative than usual!

Deleted Member 16721

Episode 4 cut off early, so I fixed it. The change is reflected in the new episode that is linked in the Episode 4 post.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
are you using desmume? i recommend you switch to x432 and play the game in a higher resolution; it looks fantastic when played with a higher resolution.

it also allows you to set the screens horizontally instead of vertically which makes for much better viewing.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
it even allows you to for example: set the screens horizontally and have the main 3d game screen be 150% size, and have the "status" screen by 0.50% in size. stuff like that.

desmume is rendered completely obsolete by x432. oh, x432 also allows you to edit the pixel "distance" in the gap between the screens, whether it they are horizontal or vertal. i like using 2px of seperation.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
it also comes with an authetic looking nintendo ds "frame" by in the settings btw, since you seem to want to use a frame. it looks much better than the one you're using in the video.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
final thing: (this is hard-coded into the game and has nothing to do with emulators) Dark Spire runs about 5 FPS faster when in wire-frame mode. just something you might want to know because i found the default movement animation waaay to slow for my tastes. i ended up changing to wireframe halfway thru.

Deleted Member 16721

are you using desmume? i recommend you switch to x432 and play the game in a higher resolution; it looks fantastic when played with a higher resolution.

it also allows you to set the screens horizontally instead of vertically which makes for much better viewing.

I'm playing this on my Android tablet, using the DraStic emulator. There isn't much hope in playing in high resolution with this emulator.

it even allows you to for example: set the screens horizontally and have the main 3d game screen be 150% size, and have the "status" screen by 0.50% in size. stuff like that.

desmume is rendered completely obsolete by x432. oh, x432 also allows you to edit the pixel "distance" in the gap between the screens, whether it they are horizontal or vertal. i like using 2px of seperation.

Is desmume available on Android? If so, I'll definitely check it out.

it also comes with an authetic looking nintendo ds "frame" by in the settings btw, since you seem to want to use a frame. it looks much better than the one you're using in the video.

Hey, that frame is the Nvidia Shield tablet, which is what I'm playing on. Authenticity, and all that. :)

final thing: (this is hard-coded into the game and has nothing to do with emulators) Dark Spire runs about 5 FPS faster when in wire-frame mode. just something you might want to know because i found the default movement animation waaay to slow for my tastes. i ended up changing to wireframe halfway thru.

I would play in that mode, but the emulator won't display it properly. What I mean is, when I change to Classic mode, you can't see the dungeon anymore and it flickers badly.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
that's an emulator issue; happens as well in desmume and in x432 if you run it in openGL mode. running it in d3d mode in x432 with Edge-Anti-Aliasing helps display them better (but not perfectly). Also you need to increase the internal resolution; the biggest reason they don't "display properly" is their massive aliasing.

note that only x432 offers a d3d mode or additional options for anti-aliasing. desmume offers none. ah it is a joy to play nintendo ds games in x432.

i'm fairly certain there must be a x432 android branch google it. or at least a desmume branch that one should certainly have an android branch. at the very least you would have options like displaying the screens horizontally and increasing and decreasing their sizes. i think the latest builds of desmume have also added a d3d mode but i don't know if they've added higher resolutions yet.

the desmume creator doesn't know how to implement the code to make the NDS games render at a higher resolution so he refuses to "take" the feature from the x432 branch even though the creator of the x432 branch gave him premission, since after all the x432 is a BRANCH of desmume and not an original emulator. there's a boat-load of drama on this btw it's actually the reason the desmume emulator creator stopped updating for more than a year: he was upset a japanese guy had made a branch off desmume (x432) that had more options and better performance and for a while would even ban people from his forums for talking about x432.

there is nothing better than delicious modder tears :D

Last edited:

Deleted Member 16721

I love when emulators allow you to play well above the normal resolution. I play PS2 games in 6x the native resolution, which is essentially 4K. It looks quite nice on my 4K TV. I have a Suikoden 3 LP on my channel being played at 6x the native res.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
well duh that is the sole reason emulators exist isn't it? to play games in 1080p with glorious vaseline-filters.

fuck accuracy-emulators and fuck people who say emulators should only aim for accuracy!

emulators are for playing old games with NEW GRAPHICS.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
if you're too young to have missed playing the game on original hardware when it came out and now are whining that the only emulator the will run on is not "100% accurate" i will ltierallly go over to your house and kill you for existing.

Deleted Member 16721

I believe that emulators should have all the bells and whistles that they can possibly muster. :)

I was shocked how good Suikoden 3 and Romancing SaGa looked in near 4k resolution. Yes, the textures were still muddled but the overall "crispyness" of the game, if you will, was really nice.

I wish Android emulators offered these features, but I guess one should be glad that emulators are able to be played on Android at all.

Deleted Member 16721

New episode coming tomorrow! The current schedule can be found in the About section of my YouTube channel, but it is basically this:

1 new video per day
1 Dark Spire LP video every other day
on the days in-between, 1 random RPG-related video (could be a first look, review, preview, Let's Discover, etc.)

So today was Etrian Odyssey - A First Look, and tomorrow will be another Dark Spire, and so on and so forth.

Hope you guys and gals enjoy. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom