Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Visual Novel Recomendation Thread

TigerKnee

Arcane
The school modes were added in the later ports of the Danganronpa games so that players can more easily complete the Social Link scenes (they're shared between modes) - it used to be that you had to replay entire chapters just to get to the Free Time segments to complete all the characters you missed (if they died earlier it could get pretty godawful with the repeating)

The Jester

Cipher
I'm reading "Deus Machina Demonbane".
It's a..um...Lovecraftian Mecha story.

Screenshot-249.png

Thorakitai

Learned
The Galaxy Angel Trilogy deserves a mention.

Unlike most VNs, it has great RTT gameplay quite similar to the Homeworld series except you are only limited to 5 powerful spacecraft with specific roles. You have a jack-of-all-trades, a fast and powerful but fragile fighter, a slow craft that can use drones to attack several enemies at once, a slow but powerful tank armed to the teeth with weapons and a durable repair ship. The first game is rather easy but two games after that ramp up the difficulty and add even more objectives besides kill all enemies that it becomes fun.

The dating sim part is this, your job as the commander is make sure the 5 girl pilots have morale morale (as it impacts their combat performance) and you do that by earning their trust and eventually pursuing a romantic relationship with one of them if you have high enough affection rating. Your lover also becomes your ace due to the fact they get huge bonuses in both morale and combat that even the medic craft becomes a powerful juggernaut.

If you're looking for eroge stuff, look elsewhere as the only erotic thing you'll find are bikinis of the pilots during some scenes and it's rather tame.

The story is basic sci-fi anime where you and the 5 pilots are the only hope in stopping the great evil antagonist from conquering the galaxy. The characters are quite endearing (especially the pilots) due to the fact every single line is voiced, even the minor NPCs. The VA does a great job in making you feeling attached to these characters despite the basic story.

All in all. The Galaxy Angel games are great. The only problem is that it's 2002 game and it's pain in the ass to install.

Here's a video that shows off the gameplay:

Here's a video that provides a close up to the ship models:

Last edited:

j2alg

Educated
The developers were clearly biased to Forte, not only did they make her the strongest unit but also best girl

Thorakitai

Learned
The developers were clearly biased to Forte, not only did they make her the strongest unit but also best girl

The fact that she's a rare case of an actual adult love interest (she's 22 years-old) in a Japanese Dating Sim also helps her uniqueness. The other girls are good but Forte is a class of her own.

The Jester

Cipher
I'm reading "Deus Machina Demonbane".
Romance the Necronomicon
I'm in.
Don't forget the voice patch.

rename the files in order.
The original game has the files “voice.npa” and “nss.npa”
Just rename it “voice1.npa” and “nss1.npa”
Then, when you put the voice patch in the folder. This will keep the original voice files, and just put them in second priority over the new files.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
A visual novel about old Japanese PC adventure games.

ss_35305daa268948023c5e87160ed520982f010583.600x338.jpg
ss_756b469dc0f04dba914faec5cf09c0c91bdf2f8b.600x338.jpg

"Let's play on the dark side of the moon."
Retro Game Aliens is a nostalgic, fantastical visual novel. You play as yourself, an insomniac who has taken to wandering in a residential area in the middle of the night. When a mysterious girl asks you to finish off a few retro games for her, a labyrinthine adventure begins where your childhood memories of 8-bit games blend with the here and now.

About this game
Retro Game Aliens is a visual novel set in modern Japan. It follows a linear main story which progresses based on how well and how much you play of three “in-game games”.

Before you know it, you find you're wandering in a residential area in the middle of the night again... Insomnia is rough on a middle-aged man like you. But this is the first time you've come across a girl on the street who is concentrating hard on a game she's playing on a handheld console.
"Hey, could you clear this game for me?"
The girl's sudden request throws you for a second, but you can't pass up the chance to have a "reunion" with the retro games you used to play when you were young. So you take the game console...

Three "in-game games"
Play three click-and-choose adventure games in any order, which appear to be remakes of games released for Japanese PC in the 1980s and boast the same odd plot developments that retro games are known for. The graphics of each "in-game game" feature pixel resolutions and limited colors that are faithful to the performance of PCs of the time, partnered with background music (composed by Foilverb) that is as infectious nowadays as it would have been back then.

Chat with a mysterious girl
RGA_EC_A_gif.gif

Take a moment in-between playing the "in-game games" to talk to the girl you've met. Indulge in innocent conversation with her as you warm up to each other, and see if she won't sometimes give hints on how to make it through the games you're playing... Wait a second. If she already knows, why does she need you?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Music is good with the gameplay there. I'd be all over that game.

edit...
Oh its an erotic game? I was sold on the sound and retroness but I guess etotuc could be a plus.

Nostaljaded

Savant
Kamaitachi no Yoru - Rinne Saisei かまいたちの夜 輪廻彩声 (Vita/Windows) [2017/2018]
Remake of 1994 Super Famicom Murder Mystery VN

The game revolves around Tooru and his girlfriend Mari, who are suddenly drawn into a horrible murder mystery while on vacation at a skiing lodge. The first part of the games develops as a crime-solving adventure. Additional murders occur if the player is unable to find clues... - from VNDB

KzP2a7J.jpg

fIRtx6I.jpg

uFfU5wB.jpg

+ Flowchart menu option, flagging yet-to-be-picked choices and to easily restart at any past nodes
+ Hotkeys to skip read text & skip to next choice
+ Full VA, with individual volume sliders and mute buttons; useful for those preferring silent protagonist

~ Many routes (10+), unlocked in batches upon satisfying certain-nodes completion
~ Bland CG Portraits (except heroine?)
~ Background Graphics based on processed real photos
~ 18+ rating due to gore scenes (IMO quite mild while few other scenes are at most suggestive-level) as remake is also released on Vita
~ Crime-solving not-a-big component (simply done by naming suspects), actual length quite short, more about going through the various routes and choices if main route is deemed appealing. Value my time more for other games/activities

- Naming suspects requires manual keyboard input/copy & paste, so jot down all characters' names when first introduced
Was mucking around and stumbled into the ENG translation website. Actual play on non-English version, only tested the English version on the intro for screenshots and to sample the ENG translation.
Currently in Public Beta, accepting bug reports.
https://projectkamai.com/

TLDR: It's all right/can be skipped, for those itching for a (classic remake) VN with no VN backlog.

kirin

Learned

――Magical girls are weapons――
――Magical girls do not create hopes or dreams――
――Magical girls drown in pleasure and bodily fluids――

In the not-too-distant future――

Mankind has been waging war with a mysterious race of aliens.

A group of young girls is sent to the front lines, where they take the aliens' power into their bodies, and gain powerful abilities. By being violated by the enemy, they absorb their power, and defeat them while writhing in pleasure.

And so the war continues.
As the minds and bodies of the young girls are consumed by the world.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
God that is the most awful music I've heard. The animation looks terrible. That voice acting.... did they even care?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Is this a KS in favor of censoring? Honestly, why doesn't the game come with a toggle if people are offended? The purchaser can decide to make their WILL saving throw and keep the horny mode off. Personal control.

Last edited:
Unwanted
Dumbfuck
The ugly true is that people hate freedom, they want always someone to make the decisions for themselves to avoid being responsible for their actions. In the case of visual novels they want to pretend that they are some form of hight art but when they see a panty shot they realize the ugly truth, it's entertainment for the sake of it and not a great work of political commentary that they con boast about on social media. That why you see journos trying to push the whole "Videogames are art" thing, wanna boast about playing the latest walking simulator with gay trans autistic couple

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I like games that have smarter more varied algorithms. A learning program based of input fed to it would be great. In some ways certain RPGs had very minor ways of doing this (virtues in ultima, bars and guild in alternate reality, actions in stuart smith's games, etc). Some developers took chances and tried new things. Some used older ideas and refined or modified them. I like classics but eventually if the same thing is spewed out I will get bored or feel the "deja vu" and that might turn me away.

Agenda driven drivel shoved in the face hnder the pretense of something it isn't pisses me off. Usually, by the time I buy a game, I know what it is about and what stupid wokeness might be in it.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
....if you do give more cute Expedition wifes anons! I will!

At first I checked the OST lists then mobygames. Only a few PC titles and mostly playstation on a few of the platforms. While all are VN a few are actually dungeon crawlers. Interesting.

The release dates on Dungeon Travelers is confusion because of the Two Hearts title (Two Hearts 2: )

Selected Covers
Front cover for To Heart 2: Dungeon Travelers

Front cover for Dungeon Travelers 2: The Royal Library & The Monster Seal

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I really need to play the first dungeon travelers remake on the vita... but i would need to finish the visual novel first, and i don't feel like it. Is it good? After playing dating sims like Tokimeki Memorial visual novels feel bland.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
True Love 98, my first dating sim, stop making me feel nostalgic Valerie anon. Is there anything releasing soon in the west? Want to join in the conversation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom