Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars - JRPG Told Trough Cards

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Extremely disappointed to read in reviews that the game is only like 10-14 hours long. Like, kind of shatters my hype type of disappointed. Also apparently a complete lack of challenge and little creative use of mechanics until the final dungeon. Really not sure if I'm going to be getting it day one now. Guess I was wrong about this one.

Man.... Really disappointed to hear this. I`ve only like 2-3 hours in (Just got up to Chapter 2). Paid JP inflated switch prices of $35.
But the 1990`s level of random encounters combined with the slow battle speed and lack of having to actually think to win any battles makes it a slog.
The story bits have so far been far above average for your standard JRPG fare, so may even hold off on playing if the patch is coming soon.

Protip to help keep down the slog in the start:
Run once random battles gets easy, it will help increase the challenge and speed up the game.
Use the Right stick (Or the jump function if you playing on PC) to avoid random battles.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I beat it. Took me 13 hours. I didn't hate it, but it's a game that I can't really recommend if you're not looking for babby's first rpg.

Everything about it seems like it could be very interesting, but in the end, it falls flat. I'm not even that bothered by the slow pace of most things.

The game is very compact, and very to the point. No fluff at all. It's very, very go to point A, then to point B. The story and characters don't have a lot of time to develop. Everything happens in a very fast pace story wise. The characters you meet seem very interesting, but you never really feel like you get to know them all that well. Combat is interesting on paper, but I was only really troubled by two fights. One optional fight with a knight, and the final boss.

I'm not sure if I got the true ending or not, but I did collect all 10 mystery cards, which are supposed to activate that. After I beat the game, there was a new game+ option, and it said that there was a new event added to the later part of the game, if I replay. For now, I have no intention to do so.

Throughout all of the game, I was wishing that I could use all five party members at once. The game only switches it up a little bit, but other than that, I was using the starter characters at all times. But considering happenings in the game, they could very well have had a five man party. Oh well.

I feel like Dungeon Encounters is a dungeon crawler that cuts out all the fluff, but still nails good systems and an interesting game.
I feel like Voice of Cards is a jrpg that cuts out all the fluff, but suffers greatly for it. Under cooked characters, and systems. A story that isn't bad, but would have felt much better if it was more fleshed out.

At least the music is good, yet there aren't enough tracks. Voice of cards is absolutely a low budget game, in the vein of Dungeon Encounters. I have no doubt in my mind that this is true.

Luckily, I think this is not the game Taro was talking about, some time ago, contrary to what I might state in the OP.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Seeing this is a game where YT is involved, how many children are abused directly or indirectly during the plot?
:troll:

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Finished it, it was okayish. Music + art were good but combat was way too easy. None of my characters died even once only final boss made me use few consumables. Think I did everything there was at least maps were 100% done.

Story was decent enough and characters were acceptable did not find any companion too annoying. On the other hand there was not too many events / dialogues which involved companions.

Random encounters became a chore after 66% or so but at least you can run from those with pretty much 100% chance which I did.

Dont mind that I played this one took around 10 hours. Going to play sequel.

Edit oh yeah worst aspect of this game was interface which was very slow / annoying to use.

Last edited:

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Played around 3 hours second game, seems to be worse in most ways than first one. Party members other than main guy+girl dont level up and you can only change equipment fully with main character. Main girl can change armor+accessory and other members only accessory.

Also the game seems to be easier than first one which is ridiculous. Encounter rate feels higher than first game which is the main reason I might give up this game if / when I tilt since those are so slow / huge time waste without any challenge. Interface is bad as before.

Story so far is worse than the original which is an achievement. Only saving grace is the music.

Not great experience so far I write some more thoughts after finishing / quitting the game

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Finished it, did not enjoy it as much as first game. I only explored approximately 70% of squares and that took around 14 hours (100% first game was 10~ hours). Overall harder than first game mainly because of you are often playing with 2 chars (+useless retarded puppet) instead of full party which is 4 instead of 3 like in previous game. Random encounters are more dangerous some of time because of that but the bosses are still very easy.

Story is not happy as first game's and think there were no good end for anyone only few bittersweet ones. There is some ng+ bullshit but Im not going to touch this game ever again.

Cast is more bland did not really care for any companion. On the other hand companion endings were actually somewhat good besides 1 exception
girl who is a boy but is actually a girl

The main problem I had with this is that random encounters are too frequent like in previous game and with full party there is no danger at all. I actually threw my controller first time in around 10 years because of after random encounter I took a single step just to have another encounter. Breaking point was 2 more steps after this which was obviously third encounter in total of 4 steps :roll:.

This game would really benefit from no encounter mode I skipped around 70-80% of encounters and bosses were still easy. You can escape with 100% chance so it is just a huge time waste. I was thinking about exploring whole map but the idea about 100 more random encounters would drive me insane.

If you enjoyed the first game I think its not a bad idea to play this one also but otherwise I would stay away. I will probably play the next game also if they make one but that's only because Im a retard

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Thank you for your sacrifice of your time and braincells :salute:

I had hoped that these games would get longer and better now that they got the engine nailed down, seems that they are getting longer by a small degree but not necessarily better.
Didn't exactly increase my hurry to pick this up, I will wait until I can get like 4-5 of these games at the price of one normal game, because then the price/time ratio is good.
Then again, this is Squeenix we are talking about, their sales rarely go beyond 50% :negative:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Third game's reveal apparently got leaked via Twitter. They're really pumping these.

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
If you enjoyed the first game I think its not a bad idea to play this one also but otherwise I would stay away. I will probably play the next game also if they make one but that's only because Im a retard
schadenfreude! Looking forward to your impressions!

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Finished third game, similar quality than first and second. Characters + story were little bit better than second game but again the main problem with this series is that its too easy and has too many random encounters.

The main difference in third game is that none of your characters have any skills (well basic attack and 1 char has +1 gem ability) and you get your skills from capturing monsters. Skills you get are from treasure chests and its rng fest when considering each monster ability has a rank from 1 to 5 (higher the better the skill is) and you cant choose which enemy you capture. There is a quest line which requires specific monsters with specific rank so have fun farming I did not bother with this.

If you are planning on playing this game I would find ng+ save file from somewhere so you get extra events (no idea what these are Im not going to replay) and this ring:

jOku7lU.png

Having this ring would solve 50% of these games problems

Also music + art were good but quite many portraits are from previous games

6Y6lk6i.png

Oropay

Educated
Played through the first installment, The Isle Dragon Roars. Nice little game, relaxing. Worth notiing I'm not usually a JRPG player, although I've played a few like P5. The game is very lighthearted except for the moral ambiguity of the party and other main characters and the choices. No combat challenge whatsoever, except for the final boss. Beat the boss at a lower level using items, went back and hit max level using the
knight
, and beat it without items. The combat in general is more about playing "well," efficiently downing enemies, leaving combat encouters full health, and remembering weaknesses. Contrary to some opinions in this thread, I found the length (under 12 hours to beat the boss the first time) to be refreshing, but at the same time I didn't pay for the game. It's on my Steam wishilist now, but $30 feels like too much for what the game is.

Really just posting to bump the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom