Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

VoiceGate: Videogame voice actors considering a strike, want to unionize

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by pippin, Sep 23, 2015.

1. ~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸-AIN'T Arcane Patron

~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸-AIN'T
    Serpent in the Staglands Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    All I'll say about this is that I'm glad Looking Glass let some of their everyday employees do voiceovers. Dan Thron was awesome, certainly better than a lot of professional VAs.

• Brofist Brofist x 15
    ^ Top  
  2. Edward The Mediocre Arcane

Edward The Mediocre

Well there goes what little support I had for these fucks.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  3. Havoc Cheerful Magician Patron

Havoc
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Greedy fucks taking over normal fucks, to get more fucking money. Nothing new.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. Azrael the cat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Azrael the cat
    Bear in mind, they'd have chosen the timing to match the production schedules for tv, ads and film. Computer games isn't exactly a minor chunk of their work, but it's far smaller than tv and advertising. They'd have chosen a time when the next season of tv shows are going into production, so the loss of video game contracts doesn't hurt their income as badly. Again, you need to put this in the context of these people being independent contractors. It's more like using a trade embargo for leverage in contract negotiations, than what you'd ordinarily think of as a strike.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. J1M Arcane

J1M
    I wonder how much a studio employee is paid for 1 hour of voice work. $0/hour? 1 coffee/hour?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. Edward The Mediocre Arcane

Edward The Mediocre
    Sustained employment.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Black_Willow Arcane

Black_Willow
    I love how codex commies cheer for them because VOICE ACTORS ARE SO POOR!!!!111 while supporting unions in becoming medieval guilds at the same time.:lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. you know what time it is Arcane

you know what time it is
    I can imagine Patton sort of just hanging out at them protests, getting inspired and shit.. whilst subtly recording the crowd, to sample it later and use it in a new mr.bungle album.

For context:
    Show Spoiler

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Adon Arcane

Adon
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/08/video-game-voice-actors-vote-yes-on-potential-strike

^ Top  
  10. Tehdagah Arcane

Tehdagah
    And nothing of value was lost.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Will be p. funny for them to strike and get fuck all.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  12. Khorne Arbiter

Khorne
    Modern syntethics will push these people out of the industry soon, unless they lobby hard and cut the funding to synth development projects.
    I don't think they're in a position to demand anything, they will be lucky if they don't lose their jobs.
    Some random quotes from the wiki :

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Gozma Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Gozma
    Making TTS crap act from scratch would be a waste of money. What I can imagine happening is that they get a small number of cheap, ugly actors that get paid a low middle class wage that they use as an "acting skeleton" for synth voices to go with the mocap acting skeletons for synth character models. Zero leverage for the actors at that point. Hollywood actors can negotiate because they become integral to branding.

Having to do VA for "data log" shit has got to be a nightmare. They're the most contrived things in the universe and no character would actually make them. Most of the data logs in SS2 aren't even given as much of a vaguely legitimate framing story as this guy's. I have no idea how you don't just let your eyes glaze and read the idiot writer's shit lines flat as a board

Nothing to do with this topic I guess

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    So what will happen if a big game is released without union voice actors?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. pippin Guest

pippin
    A few "occupy something" kids will make a few tweets about it, but people who buy AAA games live beyond any kind of game magazine, podcast, twitter, etc. They just want one game for one system, and don't care about anything. These kind of problems are real for people who follow games regularly.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I mean more legal things. Will there be fines and stuff?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. pippin Guest

pippin
    I don't know. Capitalism works in mysterious ways, just like God. I think they will find a way to ensure better treatment, but forbidding anyone who's not in the union from doing voice acting is ridiculous. The Hollywood Writers strike was more justified, because they do give a crucial element to that industry, but voice acting in games is more of a luxury than anything else.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Yeah, I agree. That what I find strange, how is this going to be enforced? Is it only going to effect AAA games or every single indie-game? It is just odd.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. BelisariuS.F Augur

BelisariuS.F
    It's you who should understand where value of a given product comes from. It comes from one place - human mind. Monetary value is just a concept that exists in human mind. It's not a natural property of an object. An object doesn't have value. Humans attribute value to an object. That's why you cannot hope that people will UNDERSTAND that the value comes from labor. You can only hope that people will agree to attribute value to a product based on labor, and not by their own standards. Good luck with that.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Higher Animal Arcane

Higher Animal
    The labor value of something created which has no social utility is zero.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. RhodokMasterRaceOfficial Arbiter

RhodokMasterRaceOfficial
    No, it won't.

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Higher Animal Arcane

Higher Animal

Real world versus mediocre libertarian science fiction writers.

Which is better and why?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. RhodokMasterRaceOfficial Arbiter

RhodokMasterRaceOfficial
    Unless you post that in text format I'm not going to waste my time on it. He talks at roughly 1/100th the speed I could probably read what he has to say.

Funnily enough, this response is pretty much proof of what the "mediocre libertarian science fiction writer" is saying. I'm sure he worked very hard on that video; but it's worth less to me because it takes far longer to listen to than it would to simply read. It's less useful to me.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    I checked out the demands and everything they want is reasonable except residuals. That could very well be a pie-in-the-sky not-actually-serious item they put in so they could have something to take off the table in exchange for everything else. I hate negotiations. :M

^ Top  
  25. RhodokMasterRaceOfficial Arbiter

RhodokMasterRaceOfficial
    A completely nonsense comparison. I am stating that your shitty video is worth very little of my "chronological capital" regardless of the time spent producing it, and that a text version would be more suitable to my interests as a prospective consumer of your shitty Marxist opinions.

That has nothing to do with the truth being inconvenient because it's not even the truth in the first place. I watched a bit of it. It still doesn't disprove the theory of personal use. All it does is say Marx is interested in societies and not one guy buying a blueberry muffin off of another guy.
    This "social labour" he's talking about is just the labour theory of value applied to a civilisation. I could just as easily disprove it with a theory of "social use." Things which do not fill a civilisation's "personal" definition of what is valuable to that civilisation will be less valuable than things which do, and so that civilisation will not be as likely to invest whatever capital is required to purchase/sustain those things (whether it be fiscal or in terms of manpower).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.