Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Voidspire Tactics

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Here are some complaints I have that should be pretty easy to fix for the next game:

1. Make areas a bit smaller, or otherwise make our characters move around faster!
2. Handling the inventory should be a bit less clusterfucky
3. Make it so we can decrease dialogue text boxes a bit. They're yuge!

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I hate to admit it, but that's what kept me from playing it at first as well.

But believe me, the gameplay & music definitely make up for it.

The actual battle animations are pretty good, too

I only play games that spend 90% of their 300mil budget on immersive qualities like radiant AI, graphics, animations, and inspiration. I don't play gutter trash games - I play games designed for controllers and that are slightly interactive movies with no challenge. Keep your filth to yourself.

Modron

Arcane
I only play games that spend 90% of their 300mil budget on immersive qualities like radiant AI, graphics, animations, and inspiration. I don't play gutter trash games - I play games designed for controllers and that are slightly interactive movies with no challenge. Keep your filth to yourself.
You forgot soil erosion.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
You forgot soil erosion.

Yes, thank you. I enjoy watching soil erode as well as harvesting something every two feet.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Ah shit, found it thanks
Wait..
No! I found the map and the password, but it still doesn't work!

LdBzfl.jpg

Bug?

Last edited:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Aw man, thanks. I'm dumb.

By the way, what does good\bad morale actually do?

EDIT:

Whoops, I guess it gives a general buff\debuff to all your stats.

Anyway, I just finished the game! Man, it was damned fun & charming. Might replay it sometime.
Aside from the little complaints I've talked about before.. I have to say, I'm glad you're putting in some randomly generated areas. A tough, big dungeon that would test your party comp to the limit would really be great.

Also, I hope the next game has more genuine dungeons! You know! Big maze, lots of rooms, puzzles, and encounters!
And don't switch out your music guy.. Specifically, Kevin Phetsomphou. He was fantastic.

Also, I'd love to learn more about the game world, the different races & such. I think this is the sort of game that would do just fine with "filler" content.

EDIT EDIT:

Also, I found a major bug.. After the first fight with Ekrast and his shadow snake buddy, if you talk to Vise or his furry friend, they repeat the dialogue from the beginning, and then Ekrast & snake teleport in and the battle starts all over again!

Last edited:

Lambinou

Novice
I'd like to offer praise and insight aswell.

Really nice game, didn't see time pass as i played.

I found breaker to be an awesome class, the damage on hammer is great, and 50% armor penetration is so useful against many enemies, and ofc break arms, legs, armor is always a great option.

I see a lot of people talk about double reload, but there is a much simpler and more effective combo.
That is the quick hand passive from the scout. Load up on crossbows type weapons, then just switch the unloaded one for another loded in your backpack, thn reload all of them once the fight is over.

This trick might be a bit broken even, i could keep firing rifles every turn in the end at the final boss and bring him down quick. Combine that with an armor break from my Breaker, and the archon passive that increase damage the further you shoot from, + charged shot, and thats 50 easy damages done per round on expert

Speaking of which, it'd be nice if every weapons, not just the ones equipped were reloaded once out of a fight.

Also i can' help but wish i could fight enemies with more abilities without them having 200% stats. Maybe split the ruin difficulty on that point ?

minor questions
Does the tutorial girl make it in the end ? i expected the team to bring her and morin on board the makeshift aircraft at first

Is Vyse a reference to skies of arcadia ?

Morin looks like he could be a recurring character given his abilities

Any plans on making Ekrast's race playable ? tbh at first i thought he was a lich, until i faced another ram/goat guy

Oh, i also noticed some dialogue options led to a morale boost for one side or another.
Some group would just not care about threat and instead get a morale boost, and on another occasion i got a morale boost, though it's not intuitive at all what to say to gain those, or how a group will react.

I also wish some of the groups you meet and sometimes bribe/negociate with had a few tidbits of informations or lore to give.

what else... could you make the "look" command available in combat ? there are some enemises that will attack you right away and wont leave corpses, like those sand snakes, so it's hard to get an entries.

That led to me being confused by all the notes about ruolorns in the end, since i didn't known what aeshra was nor what ruolorn were, he just charged me and i couldn't "look" him

Jack Dandy

Arcane
I see a lot of people talk about double reload, but there is a much simpler and more effective combo.
That is the quick hand passive from the scout. Load up on crossbows type weapons, then just switch the unloaded one for another loded in your backpack, thn reload all of them once the fight is over.

Hahaha, I used the exact same trick for my Sharpshooter!
3DSgGl.jpg

In the end, she did the most damage on the final boss. 90+ damage on each hit! Used headshots, but oh well)
And with that quickhands quirk, I imagine it looks cool as well. Blasting one rifle at a crowd of monsters, then immidiately grabbing another one from your pockets and firing it, without pause.

Last edited:

Lambinou

Novice
Nice, how much skill did the sharpshooter have though ?

because half accuracy can still be problematic.

Also, regarding the final boss:

is it me or is the realm change attack he uses almost useless ? the monsters spawned dont even join the fight since it happens in the middle while realm change affect the corners

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Oh - for headshots I did the Focus move before each one, so it kinda evened out.
Doing it repeatedly with the Multishot was awesome tho, since her accuracy was enough to hit every target. I had about 4 different rifles + multiple handguns in my backpack by the end of the game!
And yeah I agree about that attack. I actually thought it'd be super scary, but then he just teleported in a bunch of Graven with some of the tiny plant enemies to the side of the arena, and that's it. I figured he'd teleport in some nightmare dimension.

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
Here are some complaints I have that should be pretty easy to fix for the next game:

1. Make areas a bit smaller, or otherwise make our characters move around faster!
2. Handling the inventory should be a bit less clusterfucky
3. Make it so we can decrease dialogue text boxes a bit. They're yuge!

1. Agreed, next game characters are going to move faster!
2. I'll be adding a 'group' inventory to help with that. Might only be accessible in town.
3. On some resolutions, they certainly are! But they're not really covering anything important, so...

Yes, thank you. I enjoy watching soil erode as well as harvesting something every two feet.

Definitely a planned feature for Voidspire XVII

Anyway, I just finished the game! Man, it was damned fun & charming. Might replay it sometime.
Aside from the little complaints I've talked about before.. I have to say, I'm glad you're putting in some randomly generated areas. A tough, big dungeon that would test your party comp to the limit would really be great.

Also, I hope the next game has more genuine dungeons! You know! Big maze, lots of rooms, puzzles, and encounters!
And don't switch out your music guy.. Specifically, Kevin Phetsomphou. He was fantastic.

Also, I'd love to learn more about the game world, the different races & such. I think this is the sort of game that would do just fine with "filler" content.

EDIT EDIT:

Also, I found a major bug.. After the first fight with Ekrast and his shadow snake buddy, if you talk to Vise or his furry friend, they repeat the dialogue from the beginning, and then Ekrast & snake teleport in and the battle starts all over again!

Glad you liked it - the next game will definitely be more dungeon-centric! And thanks for leaving a review on Steam, that really helps!

Kevin Phetsomphou was super generous to let me use his music; here's his channel if you want to hear more (or find the songs I used). I hope he gets more exposure because I love his stuff.

That bug though - why on earth?? You're not the first to report it, but I have no idea what's causing it.

I'd like to offer praise and insight aswell.

Really nice game, didn't see time pass as i played.

I found breaker to be an awesome class, the damage on hammer is great, and 50% armor penetration is so useful against many enemies, and ofc break arms, legs, armor is always a great option.

This trick might be a bit broken even, i could keep firing rifles every turn in the end at the final boss and bring him down quick. Combine that with an armor break from my Breaker, and the archon passive that increase damage the further you shoot from, + charged shot, and thats 50 easy damages done per round on expert

Speaking of which, it'd be nice if every weapons, not just the ones equipped were reloaded once out of a fight.

Also i can' help but wish i could fight enemies with more abilities without them having 200% stats. Maybe split the ruin difficulty on that point ?

Thanks Lambinou! Yeah, the Breaker is really good. And Quick Hands is maybe too good : P I might want to change it next game, but I'm not sure in what way. My biggest complaint about it is not its power, but the fact that it's slightly annoying to use (as you note, you end up with a bunch of unloaded weapons afterward).

I think I overstated how varied Ruin mode is - really, it just adds new passives, no brand new attacks or anything. Maybe the new passives thing could be a seperate checkbox, if I can fit it.

minor questions
Does the tutorial girl make it in the end ? i expected the team to bring her and morin on board the makeshift aircraft at first

Is Vyse a reference to skies of arcadia ?

Morin looks like he could be a recurring character given his abilities

Any plans on making Ekrast's race playable ? tbh at first i thought he was a lich, until i faced another ram/goat guy

- Livia is in an enclosed space that an airship can't access, so if she survived, it would be Morin's doing and not the party's.

- I haven't played Skies of Arcadia, sorry. He sort of ended up being a reference to Vile from Megaman X, somewhat unintentionally.

- Morin will be a recurring character. : )

- I abstained from adding Ekrast's race (the Aphest) because I had very little customization options to offer for them. Only two head types, and one set of legs. Also if I gave them stat buffs that fit their lore, they'd be OP. : P

Oh, i also noticed some dialogue options led to a morale boost for one side or another.
Some group would just not care about threat and instead get a morale boost, and on another occasion i got a morale boost, though it's not intuitive at all what to say to gain those, or how a group will react.

I also wish some of the groups you meet and sometimes bribe/negociate with had a few tidbits of informations or lore to give.

what else... could you make the "look" command available in combat ? there are some enemises that will attack you right away and wont leave corpses, like those sand snakes, so it's hard to get an entries.

That led to me being confused by all the notes about ruolorns in the end, since i didn't known what aeshra was nor what ruolorn were, he just charged me and i couldn't "look" him

I admit, my dialog system did not turn out as well as I hoped. Confident enemies get morale boosts if you threaten them, whereas weak enemies get scared (or surrender). You can generally gauge enemy attitude by their punctuation - lots of !! mean they're aggressive and confident, whereas '...' or s-stutters implies weakness. But, this didn't come across well, and I think the numbers are tuned to be a little too unforgiving to the player.

Regarding Look-ing in combat... it occurs to me I forgot to add to the Scholar's 'Study' tooltip that it adds journal info about the monster. Woops!
But, Study (or the Magnifying Glass item) is how you're supposed to get info about those creatures.

Also, regarding the final boss:

is it me or is the realm change attack he uses almost useless ? the monsters spawned dont even join the fight since it happens in the middle while realm change affect the corners

Yeah, Gate: Realm is more of a breather turn whenever he uses it. I'm okay with that, as some party builds have a really hard time with Ekrast otherwise.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
I have a save right at the part with the bug. And yeah, it keeps happening.
Would it help if you had a look at it? (Where are the save files located, anyway)

By the way...

0PnwU6.jpg

Guts?

Ah, and I'm glad to hear about more dungeons for the next game.
I need more things like the temple in the wine lake. Only bigger! And more complex! And deeper! And even more menacing the deeper you go! You've already shown that you can do "menacing" well. (That sewer monster and zombies - jeepers creepers! If I came across these things in a permadeath environment I'd be shitting my pants even worse.
Which reminds me! In the random dungeon area you have planned, PLEASE disallow saving\loading! Would make it a hundred times better!)

EDIT: I really need to push this point again, though:
I hope that in the upcoming game, we'll get more info about just one "realm" and it's the races. I can see that you made up a huge multiverse of races & dimensions. Which is super cool! But -- if we finally get a game that has unique races and setting, it's kind of a waste to immidiately throw in multiple dimensions on top of it all.

Let us get familiar with the "Basics" first, know what I mean?

Last edited:

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
Sure, that would help me a lot - especially if you also have a save from before entering that floor.

Sure are a lot of anime characters dying in that area, huh?

Oh, I've got some menace planned for certain areas... >D

I also plan on disallowing manual save/load by default (toggle-able via the options), since it will be a roguelite.

I am also setting the next game in a single realm - Limroft. Voidspire Tactics is set in Eral, though many parts of the Spire are taken from Limroft. There are actually only 3 known realms - Graven being the 3rd one. (I understand this is just fantasy babble, but I'm keeping it straight behind the scenes at least.)

You won't exactly get a big overview of Limroft, since the conflict is limited to a small area, but at least it's bound to be less confusing than VT.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Great to hear that.
Anyway- here's the file. A rar of the SystemSaves folder. It doesn't have a save before the area with the bug, tho, sorry. The specific save in which the bug occures is called "bug". (It's set after I beat Ekrast and shadowsnek for the first time)
http://www.filedropper.com/systemsaves

Lambinou

Novice
Oh, btw, if you'd like to have the game translated to french, feel free to ask me, id be happy to help your games get the recognition they deserve

as for the Aphest, well you could give them xp penalties, but hey, 4 races already isn't bad, not mentionning the bonus ones on new game plus, so if you're adding more, can't complain at all

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
Jack Dandy : Thanks! That really helps. I can see the global variable got set properly, but the dialog didn't advance for some reason... still don't know why it isn't behaving, but now I can add an additional check to prevent it anyway.

Lambinou : Thank you, that's really generous! Maybe someday I will ask. Unfortunately there is a lot of extremely finicky formatting required to make the journal entries fit in their appropriate space - something I don't want to subject anyone else to.

Good idea about the Aphest. I'll keep that in mind if I get to add them to another game.

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
New dev log! This one's about squads, permadeath, and the stat changes I'm making from Voidspire Tactics to make it work. Also some minor details of upcoming mechanics for mitigating permadeath / preventing grinding.

screen_deathtimer.png

Here's how the permadeath timers will look. Once your character gets KO'd, you'll have 100s (slightly more than 3 turns) to apply any sort of healing to them (not just revives) to remove the timer. Defeating all enemies also automatically revives everyone.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Fantastic! Combat really was one of the most enjoyable things in VT, and my only regret was that I didn't get enough chances to try all the different classes.
Having a nice big RL-style dungeon and a larger squad will probably naturally convince me to mix things up more often.

Last edited:

Lambinou

Novice
So is anyone still doing the review for the code ? i have a little free time, so mayb i'll try and do one myself

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
Awesome - great review, Jack! Thanks for posting this, guys.

Reminds I should really set aside some time to get the next bugfix patch done...!

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
How you know this is the best game ever:

I shield pushed a guy with who had the counter attack passive and a great sword, thus he managed to smack both his front line buddies after the push back. I love dynamic rulesets.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom