Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Voidspire Tactics

V_K

Arcane
Think Dark Souls, basically - there are some NPCs and some plot developments, but most of the time you'll be exploring and wondering wtf is going on.
On the other hand, there's a lot of lore which you get by using the look command on everything.

Jinn

Arcane
Voidspire also has some really nice exploration in addition to it's great combat and interesting puzzles. Eldiran hope everything is going well with you. Can't wait to see your next project!

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
Thanks guys!

I don't have any 'official' announcements but I can share that the next game is an open world Tactics RPG set in Eral.

8wNGSdp.gif

It'll be sort of like a cross between Voidspire Tactics and Sid Meier's Pirates. Age of sail theme and freeform like Pirates, but a proper RPG like Voidspire (no need to retire, etc).

V_K

Arcane
Thanks guys!

I don't have any 'official' announcements but I can share that the next game is an open world Tactics RPG set in Eral.

8wNGSdp.gif

It'll be sort of like a cross between Voidspire Tactics and Sid Meier's Pirates. Age of sail theme and freeform like Pirates, but a proper RPG like Voidspire (no need to retire, etc).
Awesome news!

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
It's actually heavily inspired by Uncharted Waters, but I didn't think anyone had ever played or heard of that game. : P

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's actually heavily inspired by Uncharted Waters, but I didn't think anyone had ever played or heard of that game. : P
You underestimate us! I actually played Uncharted Waters after I heard it was like pirates.

Also your game sounds like a

:d1p:
I always wanted something like Pirates but more RPG-like. More than Uncharted Waters anyway.

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
Thanks! : )

Glad other people have played Uncharted Waters. It's one of my favorite games. Super fun despite many of its systems being flawed.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So I just beat Voidspire Tactics after this thread.

:d1p::d1p::d1p::d1p::d1p:
To your next game. My only complaint was that Greatswords were too weak, and Crossbows got all the love. I'm buying Alvora Tactics real soon to prepare even more.

Tolias

Educated
NEW GAME BY RAD CODEX???

RELEASE DATE, WHEN

Srsly though, Voidspire was the shit, I am still planning to do that run on max difficulty.

Godspeed Eldiran

boot

Prophet
it's actually heavily inspired by Uncharted Waters, but I didn't think anyone had ever played or heard of that game. : P

:nocountryforshitposters:

Siveon said:
My only complaint was that Greatswords were too weak, and Crossbows got all the love. I'm buying Alvora Tactics real soon to prepare even more.

I thought they were really good.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
Thanks guys!

8wNGSdp.gif

Any updates? :shittydog:

Kaivokz

Arcane
Thanks guys!

8wNGSdp.gif

That water scene with the forests give me massive Shining Force 2 flashbacks
:love:

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
Project 3 (codename Boat Tactics) is coming along! The mechanics are all in, the classes are done, the outline of the world is built - now I'm just putting together the story and filling the world with content. Unless I get run over by a bus, I would expect it no later than February 2020. I'd like to get it out sooner than that but I have to plan around the big AAA release windows that tend to flood the whole September - December period.

I need to upload more interesting gifs and such... for now, here's a gif of the new 'drowning' mechanic where you can perma-stun enemies by pushing them into water.

b8ea5e188547741fe6e3d298b4d9e1495d0a7b40.gif

Also worth noting, I patched Voidspire with the new movement system I'd been working on, and Alvora and Voidspire are both 50% off for the next 3 days.

Citizen

How different are Alvora and Voidspire? Which one would you recommend to start with?

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Voidspire is more of a story RPG with a beginning and ending - but remember it has a great fuckin' battle system and character development.
Alvora gives the whole thing a more roguelike approach (random dungeons and such), while keeping the battle system.

Both are great. I'd say start with Voidspire.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
How different are Alvora and Voidspire? Which one would you recommend to start with?
Alvora has more classes and skills, but it's stuck in a roguelike experience with less interesting area design. Voidspire has a story which is maybe not the best, but there's cool exploration and secrets to find through clever application of the skills you earn, so I think that one's best to check out

lightbane

Arcane
It's funny, I've been stalking/following these games so far, but I never had the time to play the first one when the third is already on the works. Oh well, I guess I can play all of them at once at worst.

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
I got some questions about Boat Tactics from The Red Knight and he asked me to post the answers here.

How much interaction is there between the trading/sailing part and the RPG part, if any? Is trading important or plot-relevant, or is it primarily a way to multiply your money to afford best equipment?

Trading is one of three ways to earn fame and money. Some degree of both are needed to complete the plot. You can completely abstain from trading if you want.

Will there be more thematic classes in addition to the Sailor one?

Yep! The Krakenslayer, for example, is one of my new favorite classes.

Can their skills influence the ship anyhow (like your wind mage exhausting themselves for the next few days to temporarily speed up your boat in an attempt to escape pirates, or some class finding a way to squeeze that +1 cargo into the storage)?

Character skills don't influence ships. Only # of crew and their HP affect ship movement and cannon fire. However some enemies attack with boarding so it's worthwhile to have a crew that's good at fighting on each ship.

How is ship damage and repairs after battles handled (and will things like railing damage on your ship persist until you take care of it or visit a town)? Can skills or pre-boarding cannonball hits punch holes in ship decks?

Ship damage (and onboard damage like railings) persists until you get repairs from a shipwright at port. Currently pre-boarding cannonballs don't affect the boarding environment (this may be added later, it's low priority atm).

Any mythical sea monsters, ghost ships or legendary pirates that you can hear of during your travels? Or will it be more like hidden secret bosses for players to discover?

I'll be adding as much of both as I can once I finish implementing the main plot. I have a few half-implemented already.

Are there any nation vs nation conflicts that would affect prices of goods or ban you from visiting some towns until the conflict is resolved (or as a result of offering your services to one of the warring nations)?

You can lose favor with nations by attacking their ships or taking ports from them. Once you've sufficiently ticked them off, you're forbidden from entering that nation's ports unless you sneak in, pay a bribe, or intimidate them with sheer number of crew (only practical at smaller ports). Ticking them off also affects food and repair prices.

Are there town battles that would switch town ownership from one nation to another (and town attack/defence jobs related to them)? Or even just as a way to challenge yourself as a pirate and to get phat lewt?

There are no town battles. You can change port ownership by investing in the port, though. (A handful of ports, such as capitals, can't have their alliance changed.)

Will cargo affect sailing speed? Is cargo fully separated from party items or will it be possible to repurpose it into something usable if necessary (like sacrificing a crate of clothes to get a dozen of shirts to turn into bandages, or turning a unit of food into something you can carry into dungeons)?

Cargo doesn't affect sailing speed, but if you go over the maximum cargo, your crew's morale will plummet. Cargo is currently completely separated from party items.

Is there a set intro sequence (you come from this town and you got your ship this or that way and you should eventually go here or there to pick up on plot), or do you pick up some town to start in and are free to do what you want until you stumble upon a quest chain?

There is a set intro sequence. I might add a 'custom' or 'freeplay' mode that lets you sail around without the main plot.

Does time flow only on the world map or also in towns/dungeons?

Time only flows in the overworld.

How do you get the crew? Is it a protagonist + recruitable NPCs met during travels, a starting party and an option to hire custom characters, or something in-between?

The party is a custom player-made protagonist, a handful of written NPCs (only 1 of which is mandatory), and as many 'generic' NPCs as you want to hire. You can hire crew from any port.

Is there a physical homebase for switching party members in and out (something like a tavern in your home port or captain's cabin on your ship) or is it abstracted?

It's abstracted - you can switch crew/your chosen landing party around in the UI. You can ditch crew at any port, and they'll stay there, but you have to pay a small fee to rehire them.

Permadeath ironman mode? If yes, what happens on ship battle loss (is it game over, or is there some lifebuoy like becoming a prisoner and a rich friend or employer buying you out once or twice)?

No permadeath, but I might add a "you can only save at port" mode. A ship battle loss (i.e. your whole fleet is defeated) is a game over.

Last edited:

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Yep! The Krakenslayer, for example, is one of my new favorite classes.
:desu:
Loved pretty much all of the classes you in added in Alvora, ignis knight and bat handler especially. What makes you call that one favourite?

Eldiran

Rad Codex
Developer
The Krakenslayer is kinda like a lightning-flavored Ignis Knight, which means a lot of AoE and a bit of zone control. It has some weirdly shaped AoEs, like an X-shaped weapon attack, which I find fun.

Here's a few of the abilities (the FX are WIP)
kslay-abil-preview-1.gif

V_K

Arcane
The FX look quite nice actually! The only thing I'd change is make the lighting circles the same resolution as everything else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom