Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wakfu

Project: Eternity
Wakfu's a tactical turn-based isometric RPG:
http://www.wakfu.com/na/mmorpg
Me and a few friends started playing this a few days ago, and I've been loving the hell out of it. Excellent, fun combat, great group gameplay, and neat music. Anyone else play this?

From what I've seen so far, this game's community is utterly tiny. I understand that's it much larger in France, where it was originally developed, but there aren't very many people playing it at the moment.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I played a bit just before the release but forgot about it, will check it out. Shame about the art style though.

Just one caveat: This game may be, to outward appearances, free to play, but it's not; it's a monthly subscription-based service ($6 a month), which is fortunate, because it avoids the pitfall of cash-shop F2P MMOs (there is a cash shop, but all of its items are either cosmetic, or equitable to non cash-shop in-game items, just unique). But it does allow you to explore and play in a very, very limited portion of the game world without paying.

Played in beta. I guess having turn based combat is nice but I found game pretty grindy (though I can't stand grind in my games, even if it's considered low by industry standard so YMMV) both when it comes to levelling (killing mobs pretty much) and economy side of game which ... well fuck actually mostly it's a goddamn "cowclicker" you just click on shit to collect it then click some more to combine shit you collected on craft stations into bigger, more complex and valuable turds. Click click click.... are you having fun yet? Well combat isn't that bad, I have complaints though. You are getting rewarded for finishing your turns fast (or should I say game punishes you for wanting to think about your next move?) which is kinda self defeating. Character building, well you can allocate points where you see fit but on most critical stats like action points or movement points there is cap (so eventually anyone with a functioning brain will max them, ultimately you're not making any real trade-offs), then when it comes to skills you have 3 sets of 5 skills based on different elements (fire, earth you get the idea) per class, initially you'll focus on one branch since they get % extra damage from skills of same element but again eventually you'll max them all and be like everyone else. So in reality you can't really do much with it.

If it sounds like whining to you... then you are right I am whining. I just don't like MMO's, only one that looks like it could be entertaining to me is EVE (ok GW2 could be fun in online-action-game way, still thinking if it's worth buying, would have been nice to get into beta..) but I'm allergic to subscriptions so whatever.

Shadenuat

Arcane

:bounce:

Wish it be single-player turn-based isometric RPG with party banter...
It's so classy and so lighthearted, you don't see good friends adventuring like that anymore with all mature gay biodrama :(

lightbane

Arcane
I bet that despite the... "unique" graphics this game is still better than TOR. Also, that cartoon looks like Avatar the Airbender on crack.

Black

Arcane
Eh, I'm grateful for Wakfu for all its 34 contributions. French may have shit women who don't shave but at least they know how to draw 2D womins:obviously:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I don't mind the graphics, it has a sort of Disgaea feel that I like. But if it's grindy as JohntheRevelator revealed, then I'll have to pass...

But if it's grindy as JohntheRevelator revealed, then I'll have to pass...
Your Mileage May Vary, I'm very sensitive when it comes to grind so I'd recommend trying "demo/trial" to see for yourself especially since you can do it for free.

It is true, this is a rather grind-heavy game - it's not as extreme as a lot of Korean MMOs, to be fair, but it's still a lot of grinding. I feel like the experience is very improved by having friends to play with you; I have three other friends that are roughly my level, and we have an excellent team put together to tackle dungeons with. I don't mind the grind at all, though; this is one of the few games where I find it enjoyable, perhaps because every time I pick a new fight, I have to put a little thought into my initial placement and which skills I pick to speed up the process most efficiently, and it can come down to a management process of "should I grind on this big clump of enemies and risk the chance of dying, or at least having to eat a shitload of food to make up for my lost HP and get back to grinding, or should I take them on one by one and exploit my knowledge of this particular enemy's amount of movement points?"
And the dungeons themselves make a fun little grind, with their starting positions and environments smartly designed for you and your friends to set your placement; it's a "tactical grind," I guess you could say. It's not exactly the same as "hold the arrow key until you run into a random encounter and then slam the attack button until you level up for the next two hours," the kind of grinding I abhor.

There are a couple of balance issues, I think, between the classes and especially equipment sets that need to be worked on, but Ankama has shown that they actually care about game balance in the past. I was hooked on first play when I got this - I really couldn't say no to turn-based isometric combat if I wanted to.
The problem of "you're rewarded for playing fast" is resolved by having friends to play the harder encounters with. You're all discussing exactly what you're planning on doing the entire time (hopefully), so when it comes down to your turn, you already know what you are going to do. At least, with my friends, if you're playing slow, you get yelled at!

There are a few classes where it's better to max AP or MP (Air Sacriers are all about MP), but with, say, a fire Feca's Shield, like I'm building, it's really not practical to put 30 levels worth of ability points into boosting your AP, because Intelligence is much more valuable. Even if I build up to get the absolute maximum number of AP-per-turn, with item sets and point allocations after all the leveling, I can only get off maybe 1 high-power attack and another moderate-damage spell in one turn... And they're severely crippled by the fact that I have no Intelligence, so there's no significant damage bonus on them.

While it is technically true that you can max every spell in the game, you won't be using 2/3 of them nearly as often as you're using the ones you specifically specced into. You will have picked your equipment and ability distribution to make your particular choice of spell element most powerful, and using any of the others is a waste of AP; and, well, it takes a fucking lot of time to level up a spell all the way to 100, and it's just not practical to try to train every single possible spell choice.

I don't by any means think it's perfect, but me and my friends are having more fun with this than any MMO we've ever played together in the past.

Black

Arcane
wakfu___adult_evangeline_by_sm_cheesecake-d3b6j8m.png
:bounce:

Trannynota

I've played Dofus back in...er... 2006? 2007? Grindy, yeah.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom