Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Walking simulators aka "Notgame" Thread

Martyr

Arcane
the conclusion of VoEC's plot saved the game for me (I had quit Ethan Carter ~10 minutes after starting it, read a spoiler by accident and then finished it, because I liked what that spoiler said). I thought it'd be just another detective game with a supernatural touch, but that ending changes everything. and of course the atmosphere and visuals are nice. imo this gorgeous track pretty much sums up the whole game's mood:

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
StaticSpine Of those four, Vanishing is the best imo, and it has (some) actual gameplay, and it's short. Don't drop it.
Already refunded it, mate. But I really didn't like what I saw. I do not have that much free time to play stuff I don't enjoy.

Actually, I'm glad I checked all those games. Now I better understand what things I love in games and why.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sci-fi meets Nordic mythology makes for a cool setting. It's not a pure walking simulator either as there seem to be combat and stealth elements.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
See a couple of new promising titles in this thread, try them later. Let's see what I have to say about ones I've played:

Dear Esther was beautiful, but I didn't get the point.
Firewatch was great in every sense.
Edit Finch was supreme.
Not sure that Stanley Parable is walking sim, but is brilliant
The Beginner's Guide was cool and inventive
Mind: Path To Talamus - dropped, too much drugs for me. Same with JazzPunk (which is technically a quest)
Journey was so hyped that I expected the masterpiece, and when it came to PC, I was like..."WHAT? WTF?". As a wiseman said, "Sad!".
Kairo was good, dreamlike (hate puzzles, though)
Tale Of Tales games are beautiful, but wtf guys

(a lot of probably interesting games like Virginia, Everybody's Gone To The Rapture, Tacoma, Layers Of Fear, Carter Redux etc are probably great, but tried and can't run them smoothly on my shitty laptop 1 GB visual/6 GB RAM)

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
i mean, like REALLY really weird

Capture2.JPG

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i just played editch finch, maybe i let myself kinda overhyped, but i wasn't that wowed.

the presentation is top notch, and the individual story can be nice, but the overall plot don't really wow me.

just sounds like a family with history of mental illness and neglect pretended their family is cursed, while the only curse seem to be stupidity. they all seem kinda savants in their own way but they dont seem really the brightest of the bunch when it comes to logic.

-not feeding your kid so she eat poison and hamster food
-building a swing facing literal cliff
-building whatever that dragon slides is
-hunting safety neglect
-leaving a 1 year old in a bathtub alone
-barbara was just a bad luck
-lewis mental illness and wrong place to put him to work (both the therapist and parents are at fault here)
-the whole house is safety hazard

there is also
i don't know the developer's intention, either they really don't have the courage to pursue a clear line between a real curse or story made up to cope especially by the granny. i know it's left to the player to interpret but the way it is done is kinda bad because you don't pursue edie's story that much in that flashback. the scene just ended abruptly, and i think it would be better if they continue edie's flashback with the drowned house, but leave it open to interpretation if all the old house and curse was edie's imagination and fabrication or a real one. basically the same ending, but with more punch to it.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
i just played editch finch, maybe i let myself kinda overhyped, but i wasn't that wowed.

the presentation is top notch, and the individual story can be nice, but the overall plot don't really wow me.

just sounds like a family with history of mental illness and neglect pretended their family is cursed, while the only curse seem to be stupidity. they all seem kinda savants in their own way but they dont seem really the brightest of the bunch when it comes to logic.

-not feeding your kid so she eat poison and hamster food
-building a swing facing literal cliff
-building whatever that dragon slides is
-hunting safety neglect
-leaving a 1 year old in a bathtub alone
-barbara was just a bad luck
-lewis mental illness and wrong place to put him to work (both the therapist and parents are at fault here)
-the whole house is safety hazard

there is also
i don't know the developer's intention, either they really don't have the courage to pursue a clear line between a real curse or story made up to cope especially by the granny. i know it's left to the player to interpret but the way it is done is kinda bad because you don't pursue edie's story that much in that flashback. the scene just ended abruptly, and i think it would be better if they continue edie's flashback with the drowned house, but leave it open to interpretation if all the old house and curse was edie's imagination and fabrication or a real one. basically the same ending, but with more punch to it.

That suddenly ending flashback is actually amazing and one of the top points of the game.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
That suddenly ending flashback is actually amazing and one of the top points of the game.
why? i think it would be better if they went trough it and explore edith Sr. 's perception about the whole story and what she made of it with that letter addressed to the Jr.
at least in my eyes, what remain of edith finch absolutely refer to the granny instead of the character we play as most of the game. the longest surviving member of the family, witnessed all that deaths in her family and ironically experienced the house being built while the people themselves fall apart. i really want them to go trough with edith's delusions/reality about her family's condition. "there are alot of stories i want to tell you" imply that with each deaths, she invented myths of her own surrounding the circumstances, justifying and coping with the events.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Well, maybe "and what really happener we won't tell, use your imagination" is a bit of cheap trick, but in our age of retard writing it looks very good.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Well, maybe "and what really happener we won't tell, use your imagination" is a bit of cheap trick, but in our age of retard writing it looks very good.

don't get me wrong, it really is well done and well written and i dont really expect everything to have clear answer, but imo, following trough edith finch senior's story trough the flashback fully will leave more impact and you are still open to interpret the same question, but with full understanding of edie, who is in my opinion, the real protagonist of the story, whose story told by several double narrator.

Atrachasis

Augur
why? i think it would be better if they went trough it and explore edith Sr. 's perception about the whole story and what she made of it with that letter addressed to the Jr.
at least in my eyes, what remain of edith finch absolutely refer to the granny instead of the character we play as most of the game. the longest surviving member of the family, witnessed all that deaths in her family and ironically experienced the house being built while the people themselves fall apart. i really want them to go trough with edith's delusions/reality about her family's condition. "there are alot of stories i want to tell you" imply that with each deaths, she invented myths of her own surrounding the circumstances, justifying and coping with the events.

You're certainly right about Edie assuming a special role in the family, but I think there's actually more to that than just
her inventing myths to interpret her family members' demise. The key phrase is uttered by Edith's mother at the very end: "Your stories are killing my children". The narrative of the "family curse" invented by Edie isn't just a passive reaction to events, it may actually be an active agent in driving at least some of these deaths, by encouraging a ludicrous amount of negligence and recklessness. Who builds a swing atop a cliff, really?

For this reason, I also found the abrupt ending of Edie's vignette to be a clever twist, bringing home the fact that the narrative concocted by her is not just another interpretation of an actual event, but a yarn that has no grounding in reality, an origin without a cause of a family's misfortune.
Reminiscent of how psychology recognizes certain patterns of behaviour being transmitted - subconsciously - from one generation to the next within a family, a mechanism that might justly be called a "family curse".

The only "walking-sim" type of thing I've ever played, but actually enjoyed that one quite a lot.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron

You're certainly right about Edie assuming a special role in the family, but I think there's actually more to that than just
her inventing myths to interpret her family members' demise. The key phrase is uttered by Edith's mother at the very end: "Your stories are killing my children". The narrative of the "family curse" invented by Edie isn't just a passive reaction to events, it may actually be an active agent in driving at least some of these deaths, by encouraging a ludicrous amount of negligence and recklessness. Who builds a swing atop a cliff, really?

For this reason, I also found the abrupt ending of Edie's vignette to be a clever twist, bringing home the fact that the narrative concocted by her is not just another interpretation of an actual event, but a yarn that has no grounding in reality, an origin without a cause of a family's misfortune.
Reminiscent of how psychology recognizes certain patterns of behaviour being transmitted - subconsciously - from one generation to the next within a family, a mechanism that might justly be called a "family curse".

The only "walking-sim" type of thing I've ever played, but actually enjoyed that one quite a lot.
it makes alot of sense.
basically due to their beliefs to their 'curse' (and they were semi famous and got interviewed by newspaper and magazines) they ignore the human error involved behind the deaths, thus did not learn from it.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Edit: so i just watched joseph's anderson video about it, and i find myself agree with him. it's just my idea, taken further up and examined more in-depth and actually justify why the ending is that way. cool

AN4RCHID

Arcane
This game is pretty nice. It's not quite a walking sim since it's mostly a puzzler, but it's really mostly about navigating around an M.C. Escher inspired universe. Every level is a infinite 3D fractal and you can flip gravity in any six primary directions. Unfortunately you will need to be on Epic game store to purchase this one.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
This game is pretty nice. It's not quite a walking sim since it's mostly a puzzler, but it's really mostly about navigating around an M.C. Escher inspired universe. Every level is a infinite 3D fractal and you can flip gravity in any six primary directions. Unfortunately you will need to be on Epic game store to purchase this one.

Does it counts as piracy if I ideologically against EGS?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom