Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News War for the Overworld released

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tags: Steam; Subterranean Games; War for the Overworld

Logo-Out-Now.png

War for the Overworld, a Dungeon Keeper inspired game, has been released.

You can purchase it one Steam here. It you buy it before May 2nd you'll get the first unrevealed DLC free.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Lots of negative reviews on steam citing a buggy premature release.
Suppose I'll check back in a few months.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
It's not a finished game from what i have read and heard on the forums.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Release dates are becoming mid-points in the development cycle, nothing that surprising. In summer imma have a lot of fun with this and WoM.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Been in early access so long they felt compelled to poop it out regardless of whether or not it was in 'release' state.

Mortmal

Arcane
Its clearly not in release state , now i am getting so many freezes i had to stop completely . Half the campaign is playable but not smoothly then its completely unplayable at the end . Multi has been disbabled , i dont know how and when they will implement it seeing how bad the engine run when theres many minions.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe they ran out of money and had to release?
Sad result, no matter the reason. Well.. I'll have a look at this in some months :)

flabbyjack

Arcane
Everyone is too critical of this game, I saw TotalBiscuit's review and he's whining about how there are no good tooltips about buildings on the map.

However in the build menu there are clearly tooltips...

Anyway, looks like a great games with very few bugs, which they are fixing! That's good.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It's the first game in forever where my game has been updating every half hour when I shut it down. It's pretty broken, though by far the worst functional "bug" is that the controls have trouble detecting whether you click on environment or the HUD. It's incredibly annoying.

Mortmal

Arcane
Everyone is too critical of this game, I saw TotalBiscuit's review and he's whining about how there are no good tooltips about buildings on the map.

However in the build menu there are clearly tooltips...

Anyway, looks like a great games with very few bugs, which they are fixing! That's good.

I am not bashing it to be edgy or trolling, when i played this it was truly a disaster. First bug encountered , when the dungeon heart is attacked , the game freeze for 5 sec , each hit. Then you notice theres a bug with the tavern , voice over keep telling you "your tavern is too small" , in fact it means its not supplied cause theres a voice over missing, and the real problem is the tavern not getting supplied by workers .Creatures not finding their lair,not finding food, workers bypassing interdictions, odd pathing sometimes.
Each time there's a fight , theres a huge slow down, oh and possession doesnt seems to be fully working ,impossible to attack. Payday ? Massive lag and freeze for several minutes , giving you enough time to alt tab , do some quality posting on the dex and coming back...
Some campaign maps are completely bugged with indestructible doors and invincible enemies. Multi not working , skirmish not working.Could be faster writing about things working, steam subforum is filled with bug report.
I got 13 hours of content out of it for 25$ , laggy unfinished unpolished content . So yes there's potential , like all those "early access" game , so much potential and almost none of them going to fullfill it.But wait its not early access anymore, its release.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I've been watching a few youtube videos.

Wtf is so hard about making your dungeon look good? One guy's dungeon was so messed up the game even made mention of it to him.

Mortmal

Arcane
I've been watching a few youtube videos.

Wtf is so hard about making your dungeon look good? One guy's dungeon was so messed up the game even made mention of it to him.
How to say... There's absolutely no reason to make your dungeon look cool, there's no bonus for walls , the efficient way is to dig it all and make rooms next to each other with just a dungeon entrance and a few traps, especially when the maps are so small. exactly like buildign a rts base.You dont have time to mke things look cool anyway and they destroy your wall often with ease.

A horse of course

thanks to Krunker for warning me off this for now. Another DK clone turns out to be a turd, what a shock.

I remember one of the devs advertizing it here a while back.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I haven't encountered too many game ruining problems with this, but the atrocious UI and poor precision with the mouse controls leave me wary that they're inevitable sooner or later. One of the more bizarre things is that the UI is riddled with programmer blurb - PROP; TAVERN, MODE 1 in X:#### Y:#### and so on. If I didn't know my Dungeon Keeper, my eyes would be rolling to the back of my head for all of that junk.

There's a few non-bug elements that are odd choices to include, such as the loss of wall props coinciding with an improved emphasis on getting the most out of your rooms. For example, you can only have as many potions as your alchemy lab has props, meaning you have to take up a tremendous amount of space for it to be even remotely as useful what a DK2 3x3 variety would be. Hints I've seen on the Steam forums suggest this is down to multiplayer focused balancing, which is completely and utterly baffling as a design decision if true, and I hope a failing multiplayer community (it's inevitable regardless) makes them reconsider. Oh, and fuck 'Sins'.

This is a very familiar and homely game, though. I hope they get their stuff fixed and fully functional so it can enjoy its audience. As Grunker said in the other thread, this is Dungeon Keeper 2.5.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom