Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WARBORN - turn-based tactics with mecha

Executr

Cipher
https://www.raredropgames.com/warborn/

Features:
  • An exciting single player campaign with 40 missions
  • Four different factions led by commanders who each pilot unique units
  • Online multiplayer with crossplay between Nintendo Switch, Steam and Xbox One
  • A map editor to create and share your own battlefield

In WARBORN, you assemble and command an army of elite units wearing technologically advanced suits of war, known as Variable Armour. Strategise from a top down view on various maps made up of different hexagonal terrain tiles, call the shots and watch the action unfold in dynamic mid-combat cutscenes!

Reminds me of Advance Wars, but on an hex map.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
ss_bcd63b2b08511cfcb724b54a7abd2b6c1ddb178e.600x338.jpg

Eh.. I think I'm good, thanks.

miles teg

Scholar
I'm playing this baby on Switch. It's clearly an indie product and yes, the mechas could be reskinned as tanks or elves, it wouldn't change anything in terms of gameplay.
It's an extremely streamlined version of Wargroove with smaller maps and no map scripting. Each mecha is unique and there are three types of damage: projectile, energy and explosive and three types of armors. World's tiles give different boots to different type of armor, depending on what's on the tile.

The main problem is that the campaign is VERY easy (I'm playing on normal). The tactical AI is not too bad (it knows what to move and where), but the strategic one is terrible: it just spawns cheap units, instead of saving points to get the stronger ones, it doesn't even try to recapture the refineries, so it's just doomed to lose.
The hardest part of each mission is the beginning, because the enemy tipically has some strong units already deployed on the field and you need to capture his refineries to get point to deploy anything.
At least, missions are pretty short, so it's not a slog.

I tried multiplayer once, but I couldn't find any player, which is a pity, because I believe this game, even if simple, can have some potential when playing against other humans. What I like is that it's not necessarily following the typical rock/paper/scissors paradigm and you don't really have a lot of hard counters. But with no one in multiplayer, I guess I'll never know.

Latro

Arcane
was interested (because I love front mission) until it turned out there's very little tactical mecha stuff going on (mecha modification, individual part hp and stats,e tc).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom