Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Wargame: Red Dragon

As if Caesar and Mistral weren't glowing billboards with FRANCOBIAS written all over them, complete with a MadMat stamp of approval.

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
Also the Tiger's Stealth buff, also French tanks being the most accurate tanks in existence.

I like the French decks though, I have since EE, but yes, there is a tad bit of French Bias. A tiny bit.

Not even close. Red Dong is French Bias to the max. French tanks aren't much of a problem, really. The rest of their everything is though. They get the best atgm, some of the best infantry overall, mistral shit, best support tab, wonderplanes, Mistral-NO FLY ZONE-recon edition...If their mid range tanks had stabilisers France would steamroll everyone.

Then you have coalition majistics and the goddamn Eurocorps that simply have everything. Everything works out with Yurodeck. Everything is great, everything fits perfectly well and synergises.

On the other hand, USA and USSR are useless, with USA having shit everything and SOVOKs having absolutely 0 tank choices and the most retarded plane prices to date. Blue Dragons and Red Dragons have worked well for me but I've been at 90% win rate in EE ranked, early ALB ranked before cluster buff (where I abandoned ranked) and generally in pub matches, so it might not work for others. Commonwealth is also extremely good though I don't find anything interesting about Brit tech so I don't use it. Scands are undomesticated snowman tier and Pact are fun but that's it.

IFVs and tanks need to get a major price decrease and availability increase. That goes double for Soviets whose high end tanks are shit and overpriced and their mid tier tanks have for some reason been nerfed. The Korean T-72M is the ONLY well priced tank in the game, along with some Team Eurofag shit but that's nothing new, Yurokok gets the best of everything.

Oh and btw, Kwanzanian riflemen will now all have militia training. With Delta Force remaining shit and Marines having the LAW as their primary rpg (and shit stats compared to other shock infantry), Murca is at an all-time low.

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
european-flag_Flickr-rockcohen.jpg

:salute:

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
USSR is a tier above the US though, because of superior infantry selection.

USA has riflemen, which are shit in both versions and are only taken for the Bradley. Deltas, which are shit because they need fast firing LAWs, which, for some reason, cause them to have shit stats on everything else (not so different from VDV in that respect). Marines are their high point, but are beaten out by the glut of SOF that every other country has for some fucking reason. The only thing that saves them is the SMAW, but I have a feeling support teams are going to get nerfed hard in avail, since most people use them instead of line infantry anyway.

Don't get me wrong though, I love the game, it just needs some work done to the balance, especially infantry availability. Regulars and Shock troops are about where they need to be, but SF need to be cut down to the availability of Fallschrim '90 across the board. 1 card for the new, 1 for the old.

Thane Solus

Arcane
Fuck the multi, man the campaign had some promises, but these guys are fucking horrible. They made a campaign that resembles a non linear gameplay, and what do they do? They do it linear, by forcing you on linear path, within a X TURN Limit, so much potential, so much retardation, bah... You cannanot make your own battlegroups, and most of those available half are useless, fighting on the same map because the AI attack with no reason. FU EUGEN SHIT SYSTEMS.

More on that half of the idiots on their forums, they want linear campaign back, haha, i fucking hate this world.

I am butthurt because it had some potential, but too much derp AFTER 3 Fucking games.

:rage:

god i am so sick of retarded developers and their shitty fanbase.

i really should stop expecting any incline on the strategy level, beside a few turn based titles. There is simply to much incompetence, lack of experience in design and a lot of derp.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Fuck the multi, man the campaign had some promises, but these guys are fucking horrible. They made a campaign that resembles a non linear gameplay, and what do they do? They do it linear, by forcing you on linear path

Yup that's the reason I think about them as deranged monkeys for about last three games. Either they starts to make proper campaigns and complex STRATEGY layer, or they are bit screwed.

I'm regretting buying this. Balance seems way out of whack. Even though a lot of balance issues could be easily addressed in fucking hotfix. Like line infantry begin completely worthless, you either go cheap reserves (which in some cases can out shoot regular infantry at half the price!) or SF (ok Delta Force doesn't count since these guys get out shoot by reservists too :lol:). All thanks to some popular mg's begin completely worthless and lack of cheap taxi options, oh people abused 1 point trucks? Better remove them instead of preventing abuse.. So now in most cases you have to pay 10 points for apc's that aren't really any more useful than 1 point trucks, about as much as for infantry inside, might as well go for SF. Also tanks like Jew said. Cold war game, barely any tanks on field.

W:RD should be on early access. It's painfully obvious it's unfinished cash grab. Naval battles are uninteresting and highly pointless addition as they are. Many countries are lifted from AB pretty much intact (oh but NSWP and Scandinavia DLC will be here soon!). Which also is reason why game doesn't really feel like the timeline was pushed into 90's, whole crapton of legacy stuff left in there (T-34 anyone? I suppose stuff like this and 1975 infantry is left in there for cat. b,c decks but since no one plays these anyway why bother? I think someone in marketing has hardon for begin able to say they have over 1000 units!) and any new 90's additions like new tanks come with astounding availability of 2, or 1 if you want competent crew. Heh you're actually more likely to see old T-34 on the field than T-72 (Since 4 T-34 take 4x as many hellfires to kill than 1 T-72, something Eugen didn't seem to include in their balancing acts). If they want it to be proper new game why not just do that? Cut off legacy stuff and really take it into 90's? I think that's why they have so many problems with balancing actually. They are trying to balance WWII tanks against modern MBT's and end up making later incredibly expensive. That and their stupid idea to stick to 5 point increments of prices and trying to balance stuff with availability instead.

Last edited:
Wow, I just read at their forum that apparently RD is built on some old version of ALB and that's why "brand new" game reintroduces old bugs that were already fixed. Ok... Also some people were digging through the files and for instance found out why smaller bombs are not worth taking. Apparently you'd need around 20 227kg bombs to roughly match 1 1000kg one, however you're still gonna spend fair bit more time rearming. That's why USSR doesn't have a single decent bomber, just cluster everywhere and Su 24 drops firecrackers.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Jesus, i've been following this series of games as I'm salivating for a proper Total War style campaign in the modern times but from what I heard or they are incompetent to make a decent campaign or their publisher just like defecating shovelware. I couldn't give two shits about multiplayer and these guys really think they gonna convince people to think this has a single player campaign without the megabucks Sega spends to convince morons that Rome Anal War 2 is a decent game they are going to get disapointed. All those graphic assets used by a developer/publisher that, at least, wants to try to do something decent...

It never was marketed as a SP game. The game always marketed itself as MPcentric. (and personally I don't care at all about SP campaign) You can create your own scenarios and campaigns though I heard.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
From all 3 games EE have the best and memorable SP campaign.Some of the maps were very interesting,varied and hard ,not that easy,samey and dull SP experience in ALB and RD.It had the better potential ,but the deeper and interesting TW-style campaign is only in our heads,not even TW games have that.

Mortmal

Arcane
Single player always has been meh in the series. The new naval part is a bit pointless...it has no gameplay depth. Pretty much a gimmick.

Also one might call me a conspiracy theorist but I am smell some French bias in Eugen unit balancing. Not sure how else once can explain the Rafale Wunderplane otherwise...:smug:

No, there's no bias, rafale is truly one of the best plane in the world and probably the best,polyvalent, quasi furtivity , there's no better manoeuvrability for exemple , every pilot will tell you that. Its extemely expensvie although, and it think they portray that in the game very well. If its not widely spread its because of commercial and political failures.

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Wow, someone actually reviewed it. And liked it, even with a tacked on anti-war rant at the beginning. Seriously, that part was retarded.

New patch is out, commonwealth and china SF got silenced weapons. Turns out SF doesn't stand for "Special Forces" but rather "Science Fiction", not only they can teleport around cities to evade falling bombs and artillery shells, now they are invisible too!

In other news another hidden stat found: http://www.wargame-ee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=155&t=45059
Stats listed in armory look more and more like bullshit.

I really want to like this game..

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
:dead:

I really want to like Red Dong, but so far it's been nothing but a sharp decline over airland.

Mortmal

Arcane
So.....stick to Airland Battle then?

Its not a bad game, but you are not missing much by staying with airland battle. The boats aren't adding much to the game, the guy who fields more of them wins, just remember to turn off the missile launchers and back on when you want to attack, thats all the strategy you need to know . I like the river boats although , those cheap boats are able to take down even ultra expensive tanks. Tanks are much ahrder to use now, the maps arent convenient to them and theres just too many threats,woods , city infantry is king .I dont see the points using a middle range tank , only top or cheap ones worth using since an ATGM will one shot a medium tank .

Right now most multiplayer rooms are stacked nato players with 80+ % wins vs an empty pact team or random guys with 15-30% win . The game is awfully unbalanced nato units are better in every aspects, everything easier to use. While pact has little choice, its mostly USSR , the china troops arent good enough, china special forces dont even come close to spetnaz , you can take down a lot with those guys jumping from building to buildings ninja killing anything entering a town....North korea is for fun, they have lot of cheap stuff and a few high tech units you hide int he middle , but as always with wargame better one of the right unit than a few mediocre ones.

Still if you know real people and make a team , it can be fun trolilng people and winning with a full team of north korean decks.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
If I wasn't utter shit at this game, I'd join you and bring incline to those imperialist peeg-dogz. :outrage:

WILK was an amazing thank in Airland. Very good stats for the points cost. I'm not sure how well it has aged in Red Dongs. It seems like tanks on the whole are less useful now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom