Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters Duty Eternal DLC announced, releasing on December 6th

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Complex Games; Frontier Developments; Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters; Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters - Duty Eternal

Despite widespread skepticism on our forums, Complex Games' Grey Knights tactical RPG Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters turned out to be pretty damn good (if not quite as good as King Arthur: Knight's Tale). It's now been quite a while since the game launched and some of our users had begun to suspect that it would never receive any further updates. However, it became clear that something was in the works when publisher Frontier Developments announced that they were acquiring Complex Games earlier this month. After a brief period of teasing, today they revealed Duty Eternal, an expansion DLC for Daemonhunters in which the Knights team up with the Adeptus Mechanicus to combat a new technophage variant of Nurgle's Bloom plague. In practical terms, that means players receive access to Dreadnoughts and Techmarines, as well as a second frigate for the game's strategic layer. Here's the expansion's announcement trailer and the accompanying press release with more details:

Cambridge, UK – 22 November 2022. Frontier Foundry, the games label of Frontier Developments plc (AIM: FDEV, ‘Frontier’), today revealed the expansion pack Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters - Duty Eternal in partnership with Warhammer 40,000 creator Games Workshop. This major DLC for the acclaimed turn-based tactical RPG launches on PC on December 6th, adding thrilling new missions, a brand new class and the fearsome Venerable Dreadnought combat walker to the campaign, among other substantial changes. The expansion will have a suggested retail price of $14.99/£12.99/€14.99 on both Steam and the Epic Games Store.

Find English-language links to the reveal trailer below:

The Technophage Outbreak is at the heart of Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters - Duty Eternal. With the arrival of this new strain of the Bloom, the Grey Knights are tasked with aiding the Adeptus Mechanicus in halting its spread across space. The new Technophage Outbreak mission variant is the most challenging in the game to date, remixing standard maps and objectives with higher reinforcement numbers, new Warp Surge conditions and tougher consequences for failure. The potential rewards, however, are also much greater.

Fortunately, commanders will have some extra firepower at their disposal to suppress the escalating Nurgle threat in Duty Eternal. The Venerable Dreadnought – an addition that’s frequently been requested by players since launch – will become available to commanders early in a new campaign. This combat walker becomes a playable fifth member of the Grey Knights squad during any Technophage Outbreak-themed mission that appears across the campaign. Like the other Grey Knights, Dreadnoughts can be customised with different unlockable weaponry to suit the player’s tactical needs

Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters - Duty Eternal also brings a vastly different base class to the game: the Techmarine. This new addition to the Baleful Edict’s barracks is able to deploy and control a cadre of Combat Servitors, which join the Grey Knights on the battlefield as more expendable allies, each equipped with a specific ability that serves a distinct purpose in battle. The Techmarine can repair or augment Combat Servitors and the Venerable Dreadnought during a mission, offering a support role to the rest of the squad.

The new features in Duty Eternal also extend to the game’s strategic layer. Early on in the campaign, players who own this expansion will have the option to liberate and commandeer the Gladius Frigate, a second strike vessel which considerably extends the Grey Knights’ reach across the Tyrtaeus Sector. From aboard the Baleful Edict, commanders will deploy squads onto the Gladius Frigate then send the ship across space, facing the Bloom in locations the Edict cannot reach in time. These encounters will then resolve automatically off-screen with similar risks and rewards to completing a standard mission in the campaign.

Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters - Duty Eternal further builds on the ambitions of the team at Complex Games to build the ultimate turn-based tactical RPG set in this universe, significantly enhancing the replayability and scope of the campaign.

Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters - Duty Eternal will require the base game to play:

Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters is available to buy now on PC across Steam and the Epic Games Store, with a suggested retail price of £34.99/$44.99/€44.99 for the standard version and £44.99/$54.99/€54.99 for the Castellan Champion Edition.

Follow Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters on Twitter, Instagram and YouTube, or visit www.chaosgate.com.​

As stated, the Duty Eternal DLC for Daemonhunters is launching on December 6th. I expect we'll be seeing more it on YouTube over the next two weeks.

Saduj

Arcane
Based on what I initially heard about this, it sounded like this has to be a stand alone mini-campaign. But alas, this is another expansion that requires the player to start over and replay old content in order to experience the new. That downgrades this from a definite "yes" to a "maybe".

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Based on what I initially heard about this, it sounded like this has to be a stand alone mini-campaign. But alas, this is another expansion that requires the player to start over and replay old content in order to experience the new. That downgrades this from a definite "yes" to a "maybe".

Expansions to the main game is way more preferable, especially for this type of game.

Saduj

Arcane
Expansions to the main game is way more preferable, especially for this type of game.
I don't see how. This isn't a game with unique maps and hand crafted encounters or a dozen mission types. The game starts to get repetitive due to recycled maps and mission types the first time you play it. I liked it well enough but I played most mission types on the same maps six times or more. Now if I want to experience new content, I have to play those missions a dozen times over? What fun!

The best way to do it is to start a new campaign with all new content and characters starting at first level. If I want to play the old content endlessly, I don't need an expansion for that.

I don't see how. This isn't a game with unique maps and hand crafted encounters or a dozen mission types. The game starts to get repetitive due to recycled maps and mission types the first time you play it. I liked it well enough but I played most mission types on the same maps six times or more. Now if I want to experience new content, I have to play those missions a dozen times over? What fun!

The best way to do it is to start a new campaign with all new content and characters starting at first level. If I want to play the old content endlessly, I don't need an expansion for that.
yeah, I am not doing all that over again just to experience (maybe) a new character type...they need to come out with a new campaign before I would be willing to spend more money.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
All of these recent Wh40k titles seem,

- like they're made for consoles
- high production standard coupled with small scope and depth
- only few factions used
- very actiony with poor RPG elements

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
I read some reviews for the game that pointed out the Grey Knights in the game are too weak, as in, some measly Chaos Cultists being a genuine threat to them. That turned me off.

Yannos

Educated
Just finished the campaign and I liked it a lot. So the DLC is more than welcome.
This game good?
it's like an extremely easy simplified and crippled version of xcom 2.
That's just blatantly wrong. On normal it's a decent challenge and offers alot of tactical depth. I'd even say that the end-boss battle is far too difficult on normal mode (it's very long and an absolute slog. My only complaint of the game really).

I read some reviews for the game that pointed out the Grey Knights in the game are too weak, as in, some measly Chaos Cultists being a genuine threat to them. That turned me off.
I saw that Steam post too and it's honestly false as well. You start out with a bunch of Rank 1 Knights (to a maximum of 9) and with a minor amount of leveling and gear upgrades they become very powerful. The Interceptor class even has a borderline OP move where he dashes through every unit in range, usually killing them. Easily wiping out 6-7 Cultists in one turn. All your characters also have 3 action points (and some skills increase this number) so there's a lot of stuff they can dish out in one round. There is basically no RNG for chance-to-hit in this game so damage is all determined by the base damage of the weapon, distance to target, cover that the target is in etc... So you can perfectly plan your round to get optimal amount of damage done.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just finished the campaign and I liked it a lot. So the DLC is more than welcome.
This game good?
it's like an extremely easy simplified and crippled version of xcom 2.
That's just blatantly wrong. On normal it's a decent challenge and offers alot of tactical depth. I'd even say that the end-boss battle is far too difficult on normal mode (it's very long and an absolute slog. My only complaint of the game really).
Indeed, the beginning is pretty brutal. However, the difficulty falls off in the middle of the campaign. But some optional assingments remain very hard (completing a mission without using willpower, or with only 3 knights...). The boss battles can also be pretty hard. The difficulty level also depends a lot on the luck of the draw, as some wargear combinations are really brutal, but you have no guarantee of finding them.

I saw that Steam post too and it's honestly false as well. You start out with a bunch of Rank 1 Knights (to a maximum of 9) and with a minor amount of leveling and gear upgrades they become very powerful. The Interceptor class even has a borderline OP move where he dashes through every unit in range, usually killing them. Easily wiping out 6-7 Cultists in one turn. All your characters also have 3 action points (and some skills increase this number) so there's a lot of stuff they can dish out in one round. There is basically no RNG for chance-to-hit in this game so damage is all determined by the base damage of the weapon, distance to target, cover that the target is in etc... So you can perfectly plan your round to get optimal amount of damage done.
That also is true: The rank 1 knights are a joke, and do, indeed struggle against waves of cultists (which is what makes the beginning very challenging), but they get OP pretty quickly with level ups. Later on, you can clear groups of opponents without really stopping (as you get AP refund on reveal).

This game good?
No, you still cant play Chaos. Why are all WH40k games only blue marines?...

These are grey, but it is a good point. The glasscannon gameplay would have suited Eldars very well actually.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Yeah but marines are the player faction. Every other faction are npcs meant to be cannon fodder for GW's poster boys.
No I am not butthurt about GW's favoritism, shut up.
The worst part is that I used to be a Space Marine player when playing TT, but I would like to see some diversity in the factions featured in computer 40k games...

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
tau best faction.
1669985551786.png

Tau get owned by the green BVLLS 24/7.

And their bitches crave Big Human Cock

1669985656984.png

Tau "men" are too autistic to get even cheap Eldar pussy

1669985702021.png

Tau are literally Chinks in space.

Imperial Guard is THE faction for the real men.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Tau are the basic bitch redditor choice for those who don't get the satire or the grimdark.
The true codexer choice are necrons, who want all those filthy lesser races to fuck off and let them play HoMM3 in peace.
That's right, they've been playing HoMM3 ever since the War in Heaven. And it's only Necropolis. Every. Single. Game.

razvedchiki

Erudite
necrons were more interesting with its earlier inception where they were mindless robots harvesting souls for the Ctann.
now they have dynasties and human like traits and behaviour.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
necrons were more interesting with its earlier inception where they were mindless robots harvesting souls for the Ctann.
now they have dynasties and human like traits and behaviour.
Yeah, I didn't like the change they made to necrons after 5th. It doesn't help that in typical GW fashion they went overboard and turned them into silly metal tomb kings.

I feel like a lot of people didn't get the point of the early necrons. They aren't meant to have pretentious "yourdudes" fanfics like marines where captain Ligma Johnson of the Anal Fists held back a legion of hrud with just pelvic thrusts or some shit like that.

They were meant to be an existential threat like the tyranids or demons, a horror that you can't negotiate with, only survive. Hence why they took so much inspiration from horror tropes. They weren't just "Egyptian", they had Aztec and European influences as well. The only "Egyptian" part of them was the mortuary cult, which tied into the whole undead horror thing they had going for them.
Except whereas tyranids will come from above, and demons will come from within, necrons will come from below and you will never see them coming.

They also had a nice sort Moorcock rivalry going on with the Gods of Chaos where you had forces of natural order being directly opposed to the forces of chaos.
But then GW fucked it up and turned C'tan into pokemon and gave the Necrons a bunch of stupidly powerful equipment that they never use for...reasons.

It doesn't help that they keep giving necrons shit looking models and replace good ones.
The new monolith is over detailed crap, the flyers have their cockpits exposed which look stupid and whoever designed the Skorpekh lord and Ophydians need to learn how arms work.
Also they got rid of pariahs and replaced them with taller immortals with stupid crests and that's some bullshit.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Tau are the basic bitch redditor choice for those who don't get the satire or the grimdark.
The true codexer choice are necrons, who want all those filthy lesser races to fuck off and let them play HoMM3 in peace.
That's right, they've been playing HoMM3 ever since the War in Heaven. And it's only Necropolis. Every. Single. Game.
Aren't Eldars the true monocled snob specie?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Aren't Eldars the true monocled snob specie?
Yeah, but they're closer to game journos rather than codex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom